Home projects for winter

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--
My favorite is a pale shade of taupe. Also muted, pale sage green.
I like sage....

I need to paint everything in this house--esp. Lr/Dr/Halway. All continuous walls.
Where does one stop and change colors?
ALL these walls have been off white (the "safe" color) since 1994.
Obstacles:
#--I could never pick a good color. Those TV geniuses pick the weirdest colors--
and it always looks fabulous!
#2--I would have to move all the furniture--impossible...
#3--Too much work--would take me forever! probably need 2 coats everywhere.
#4--Ceilings are difficult--and taping sucks...

G.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

dood luck Seq.so many choices, purpleish blue or greenish blue?. Seq and Muddy let us know what you choose!
Muddy, what are you thinking so far? Remember it has to have a charming name as well lol

My D the graphics major, has a 'game' on the ipad that show you a grid of little squares of similar colors and you have to arrange them kind of like those paint swatches; you have to keep the gradient of different colors in order, not just light to dark , hard to explain but good for training to see colors I imagine.

haha Ric, don't we know it-- if only we got credit for advanced degrees in 'life'! thanks for affirming my guess about cleaning the threads. The tub is blissfully bone dry this morning for the first time in AGES.

Gita those are all very understandable reasons not to tackle paint. Since you don't smoke or have children running through to dirty the walls, I agree it is a very low priority.

Paint quality, I'm clueless. I bought the current gallon at Lowe's they had three grades of quality (always, a marketing principle) so I chose the 25? dollar cheap one. For this bath I only need barely over a quart probably, it is a place that won't see heavy wear, and I'll have half the can easily for touch up or even a whole coat in the future.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Our house doesn't get much sun, so I wanted a light color that will reflect the light that does come in: The winner is Behr's Provence Creme, 320A-2. http://www.materials-world.com/paint-colors/behr/behr-colorsmart/behr-colorsmart-14.htm

When it comes to bad names for colors, the winner so far is Pearly Gate. Seriously? Encourage people to paint their homes by reminding them they'll die someday?

This message was edited Jan 18, 2015 12:57 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The blue I used on my living room was rather dark but with the large size of the room and all the light from the 18ft fl to ceiling windows it turned out really well. I must say I just love the color.

Pearly gate too funny!!!
Muddy , nice color.
Yes Holly your blue is very pretty and yes those big windows would have an effect on how the color works.
My bathroom color is sorta riviera sand on Muddys link. But a bit lighter i think

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Muddy LOL on the Pearly gate.
I painted the Mud/Utility room "Beach" not that it looks like any sand beach I have ever been on. Actually I would call it "cement" or "cinder-block". LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Jeff is continuing to epoxy together sections of the island. Bless his heart!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David installed a solar light on the deck rail today and has plans to do the remaining two tomorrow. It will give us something to aim for when we come home in the dark!

LOL on the Pearly Gate color. My folks bought their present home from a lady who was going into assisted living, and apparently her family painted it to prepare to put it on the market. She referred to it as coffin white, I guess thinking of the lining.

Nice color choice, Muddy.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Those solar lights sound great. I have been using those stick-in-the-ground solar lights, which work pretty well for paths but aren't as good as something at eye level or higher.

Most of our downstairs is "realtor's white", but 2 of our bedrooms are shades of dark blue, and my oldest daughter's room has 2 melon/orange and 2 lavender/purple walls. It was sooo hard finding a bedspread to go with that color scheme!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I got all the drywall pieces back up, taped, and spackled everything. It's been super fun....Lol

Pat what sort of lights? I was looking at solar 'caps' for the railing posts last year.

some body has a job making up all the paint names, that must be interesting.

Muddy, those teenage girls and their creative colors!

about five years ago, our christmas break project was painting all three kids bedrooms. Dark dark red for oldest boy, mint green for girl, sky blue for boy.

Drywall, not much fun! Mark has done a fair share of it. . I sort of like spackling, it's like frosting a cake.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Apparently Home D no longer carries them, but here is the link:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Moonrays-Outdoor-Black-Solar-Powered-LED-Post-Cap-Light-DISCONTINUED-91249/203404402

They are intended to fit on the top of a 4x4, but we are installing them on a 1x6 deck rail top to replace a finial in each location.

We did one of the kid's bedrooms in cork so that she could easily hang all her posters.

Yes, I really like the idea of those post cap lights.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Spackling is my least favorite, I'm just hope I don't have to sand that much.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pat and Sally--
HD DOES have cap lights that fit on 4x4 fence posts.
They are usually white vinyl and can be found in Outside garden where the
plastic fencing sections are. That is where they have all the fencing accessories.
Maybe the light caps are elsewhere--but i know we have them. Ask someone...

G.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

The light caps look interesting. The solar powered outdoor lights I had lasted no more than a couple of years. Hope the technology has improved. I got mine about 10 years ago.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is the link for "Light caps" or"Fencing post Lights"...

http://www.homedepot.com/s/Light%2520caps?NCNI-5

Lots of nice ones there

Mark's in on the fun now. He took the toilet base off. 40 yr old wax ring stuff is pretty petrified!

Anybody want a yellow wall hung sink and complete toilet? I bet he's putting them in the pickup for the dump as we 'speak'. Toilet lacks matching yellow seat sorry lol

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh geez Sally, that sounds pretty retro!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah, Sally, where's your sense of humor, you should tuck them in by the garden and plant them.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Surely there is a plumbing museum that would jump at the chance to get that wax ring...or the antiques road show....I bet the plumbers lament the loss of that quality level of wax..everything made today is junk and shortcuts.

Speaking of junk and shortcuts...I better figure out what I am going to fix for dinner...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just can't do the toilet planter thing but I have seen sinks turned in to cute bird baths.

I imagine if the bowl was positioned upright...
With posies and petunias planted 'round its base
And, that pretty yellow color glowing in the sun .....

With a functioning tank lid and a nice seat and its lid.... Why one could store garden gloves, a trowel or two...a bulb planter...a ruler, a snipper, paper towels, a bottle of water and some bug spray in it. Beats trudging up to the house....

And in the upper tank...I'd put a few plant pesticides and potions or I'd fill it to the tank top with Preen granules

This message was edited Jan 19, 2015 3:38 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm going to see if Holly can do this while doing the stairway drywall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV4mxN8MLz0#t=136

LOL

This message was edited Jan 19, 2015 3:42 PM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

or

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup

Ric, that's awesome lol

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link, Ric, that was some pretty awesome spackle sculpturing. I didn't get the sea creature, though...Loch Ness monster, perhaps?

Today's toilets and sinks could be valued antiques someday, you never know! We actually have 2 antique bidets in our living room that serve as plant stands. One has a wooden lid. This is the closest picture I could find: http://easttexas.craigslist.org/atq/4822355257.html

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW!!! That Guy has talent!!!
SO?--was this piece of drywall left as an art form--SAY IN A BATHROOM?
Or was it mounted somewhere?
He should take a photo of it and print his own Christmas cards.

Sally--
I would be glad to take your yellow toilet--except I have one of my own.
I'll trade you for a blue one, though? You know--that nice med. powder blue?
This one is in my "closet-sized "master Bathroom" 1970's style!
One could get claustrophobic in it. Like--my shower stall is 30"x30".
To shave my legs, I have to prop my leg into the corner....gives me cramps!

Smack next to it is a small sink/vanity (all ue) and then the blue toilet.
And--as it was so popular--I even have a blue print wallpaper all around in there!

You will die to see the wallpaper we lived with for years....The orange/yellow,brown mix...
AHH! So peaceful--all earth-tones....(Jeff--it would keep you awake all night! )
Accompanied by my golden- beige W--W carpet....
Even my 1st tile floor in the kitchen was in all those colors! Such bliss!!!!

OK! Back to the topic on hand....re-purposing your yellow toilet...
You just have to do it, Sally! Like Holly's red tub in the garden! Who woulda thunk???

Missingrosie is on the right track---love the deco ideas! But I have a better idea---
You could plug up the drain part and use it as an ice chest you can keep cold beer in!
The tank part could hold the extras-on-ice too.
OHH! Oh!! given it is deeper--how about wine bottles?

I don't have too many pictures to show you from this Era--(they are all prints in albums)
but here is the LR/DR wall paper: Ignore the painting--it just hung there...
Imagine this--ALL over--everywhere you looked!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe, you guys saw the purpley one in my garden.

That drywall art is quite something.

Muddy your bidet is a good lead in to this. I was in my aunt's house surrounded by all sorts of odd 'useful' things. One item I really liked was an enamel bucket with lid she used for laundry soap. Guess what- it is a repurposed chamber pot sort of like
https://www.etsy.com/listing/217973715/antique-large-white-black-fluted-enamel?ref=market

I bet somewhere there is someone willing to use an old yellow toilet in the garden, or as a really offbeat party cooler!

See what happens when the juices get flowing!

People are so clever. That plaster sculpting is really nice and if Holly puts her mind to it she could do it...me..my talent is more along the lines of that pink plastered bra! I might do that for gal pal birthday gifts - it's great.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from sallyg :
I bet somewhere there is someone willing to use an old yellow toilet in the garden, or as a really offbeat party cooler!
ROFLOL Can't get up still ROFLOL

Love the antique bidet and the chamberpot.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I bet you that way back when no one ever guessed that chamber pots would be re-purposed and used for generations to come!

I don't know if it's still the case, but a cousin once told me there's a market for old toilets because some people can't stand the water saver ones.

Holly, this'll keep you laughing: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/homesteading-questions/35912-uses-old-toilet-tank-bowl.html

Those tank lids are on eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Standard-4049-toilet-tank-lid-Saffron-Manchu-Yellow/121528443194?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Da122b2d9072d4e79b99859cc60cb27dc%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D141009620321
and I know why- we cracked the corner of one of our tank lids, the green one, and you cannot buy a new replacement. We painted the blue one white and put it on the green toilet. We put the cracked one on the least used blue toilet. Now I have a yellow lid on the blue toilet.
I have such a colorful house!

What do you do with this? Display the package in your vintage style bathroom??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-70-s-NORTHERN-YELLOW-Bathroom-Toilet-Tissue-Paper-4-Rolls-1-Ply-/331442649120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2b857820

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL, that's verging on the ridiculous, isn't it? I'm sure glad they noted that it is in "new condition"!

This message was edited Jan 19, 2015 11:14 PM

I think yellow toilet paper is a bad idea

same as my brothers chocolate brown toilet bowl

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL you guys have me rolling. What a subject. I did think that the lids would make great trays for plants to sit in. especially the long planters that I like so much but never come with trays and when they do the trays are as much as the planters.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.