Indoor gardening, Mid atlantic, 2015

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Coming from last thread..(give me a minute for link)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1353434/

and all are welcome here to chat about indoor gardens, friends are more than welcome since when it comes to indoor, that kind of levels the playing field so to speak; we all may have the same things.

Photo is DInnerplate aralia pic from wikipedia. I've never had one, but have seen them around enough to recognize it. I used to yearn for the false aralia, now called Plerandra elegantissima, once called Schefflera, isn't that interesting, they are related to umbrella plant. Just might see an article about these some day soon..(casual whistle)

This message was edited Jan 4, 2015 12:31 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg

Are your oxalis declining? I have a lot of them potted around a fan palm, but the oxalis are looking less enthusiastic every week. I'm guessing or hoping they are just pouting due to low light. I had made a small pot of them and took them to the library. I tucked them into a basket with 2 other pots and they promptly went kaput. Dim light there too.
I had a non plant addict friend mention she'd love to have the purple oxalis. I said I'd be happy to make her a pot of them (and decided not to say they're almost as common as dirt to me these days.) Not that they are plain or boring, I like them a lot but they can really multiply over summer.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

My purple oxalis is looking ok, but it usually starts looking pretty sad around March, just before it gets taken back outside.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

First of my blooming Amaryllis think it is Vera

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's pretty Holly!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It is and I have 5 more to bloom yet and another Orchid coming on.

Very pretty! 'Minerva" should be fully opened at the library, I'll see today.
I have wanted a false aralia, they're so airy, yesterday I was at Home Depot for the flooring and they had 2 inch tropicals down to 2.50 and guess what on of them was? Meant to be I tell ya. I just wrote about them.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice! My Red Pearl is about to bloom soon, probably in a few days.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

HaHaHa Sally, you are 'welcome' on the aralia! Sometimes I think 'post hypnotic suggestion' really is a part of these forums. Surprised you didn't get a couple of them...one for home and one for work and one to swap and one to...well, you get the idea.

The aralias (parsley leaved) at Homestead were $7.99. Post bloom yellow flowered large hanging basket 'Christmas Cactus' 1/2 price $17. Shooting Star Hydrangea reduced $24.99 and $16.99 may go lower.

thank you coleup!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Our oxalis are in a steady decline even in the GH. I have seen this before and assume they need a quiet peroid. We had a rather robust volunteer in one of the houseplants, and it too is looking shabby. I figure it is triggered by photoperiodism rather than intensity of the light.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That Amaryllis has 2 move bloom stalks coming up. WOW is it a beauty.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Almost missed this Thread...again...

I p/u a boxed Amaryllis at Safeway on the 50% off rack.
They only had white and red ones--mostly white. $2,50.
The bulbs are just in the emerging state. So--it ,ay bloom in a week or two?
I took it downstairs in the cool shop to slow it down a bit.

Might go back there and get another one....pretty box it comes in too.

Re Oxalis-----
I have several, different sized pots of it. They spend the time on the tiny
window ledge in my laundry room, along with the 2 pots of Pregnant Onion.
It is the only natural light I have there. This 28"x18" window.
The "onions" there are going to town--They always grow all these 3' leaves over winter.

The Oxalis is not really growing a lot either. If i water it--it sends our a few leaves.
I agree with Ric--I think they need a winter's snooze.

Then--you can put them outside, come early summer, in filtered light, and they
will pop open. Nice color to add to planters...
They grow especially well if I pot them in with a mixed container or WB.
Then they make those big, translucent water-bulbs there in the soil.
Some as big as big around as a carrot--just much shorter.
I find this pretty bizarre--and interesting....

Pics. 1-2 and 3 are from 2011.

1--Planted a couple Oxalis in my heavy clay W-Boxes on the side porch--just for color...
It, pretty much, took over everything else in the boxes.

2--Digging thes oxalis out was a big chore. The roots went so deep and strong.
When i DID get them out--this is what I found. Fat, water bulbs attached to the little
brown roots we all know. Perhaps--the Oxalis was trying to conserve water???

3--This is what the whole root clump looked like. Crazy!

4--Oxalis today on my laundry room window ledge. Sparse--but alice.

5--Just for YOU, Sally---My Cobra Calathea in my BR. I fed it a bit--hoping it will
fill out a bit more near the bottom, which now is a lot od skinny, upright stems.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very pretty Gita.
Another of my Amaryllis has bloom. It is very pretty but I really don't like the shorter stems.
Critter Think this is Dancing Queen?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yep Holly, Dancing Queen. I have two Dancing Queens that grew really tall and one that was shorter by about 4 inches. Still not as short as the stems on Rosita and Vera were though. Rosita just opened up the second bloom stalk. The first one was blooming and done weeks ago. I didn't realize that the bloom stalks would not bloom at the same time, but all of the amaryllis are doing that. Each stalk has 2, 3, or 4 blooms. Pretty cool - extra long enjoyment that way.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Vera has bloomed and their are 2 more stalks coming up. There are 2 stalks on the Dancing Queen now. Aren't they all just beautiful.

Wow GIta, Calathea looks huge! Maybe it will start some new shoots to fill the bottom.

Discovered a totally wilted lemon tree tonight. ??? Probably going to just let it go. I struggle to find places for large plants anyway. Survival of the fittest and favorite naturally led to this.

Holly, an Oncidium is blooming and it looks like the one shown in this link as O varicosum
http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/oncidium-orchid.html
So the blooming one I think is another that coleup gave me this year
I gave you one I called Sharry Baby, it bloomed like this
http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-bloom/24949-onc-sharry-baby.html
And totally NOT like what Teleflora is posting!
http://www.teleflora.com/flower-news/post/chocolate-orchids-640414.aspxhttp://www.teleflora.com/flower-news/post/chocolate-orchids-640414.aspx
Of course when googling you must watch your spelling and keywords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AapxXRlsdwA

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I'm pretty sure that I have the same one (yellow) it came from either you or Coleup.
Yes I also have Sharry Baby, actually I have two of them, maybe I should pass one on at the spring swap. Very frustrated right now. Picked up a zga sweet jane / sweet cheyenne orchid last year. It had tons of blooms just ready to open. They all died and dropped off before blooming. So this year it had ton's of blooms on it again and one warm day I brought it up to the house and now it is dropping the blooms unopened again. I think next year I may have to enjoy this one in the GH and not in the house.

http://www.firstrays.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=526

Yes, on looking again, I'm sure this is the one I called Shary now blooming yellow. But I'm SURE there were blooms last year in the white and purple-brown of SHarry, so that seems weird. I guess it's ok after all, I ended up giving you one you didn't have lol.
oh so disappointing to lose those blooms!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm hoping my blue orchid blooms this year. I don't know it's name off hand, but it's a beauty. I know some are stimulated by day length and lower night time temps. We'll see soon. Holly wanted the over night temps higher this year.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric-- The BLUE orchids are colored,,,NOT their natural color--white.
We sell a slew of them, but if you look closely--you will see that some of
the new blooms at the tip are starting white.

They inject the color somehow in the base of the Orchid and it colors the blooms.

http://naturalgarden.org/are-blue-orchids-real/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No Gita, It isn't that kind of blue orchid. I is really a purple but a very blue purple. I'm going to see if I can find the pic from last year.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's definitely not from the water, or the soil, there is none of either present. This is an epiphytic orchid, the flowers are about 2"s across, that is just the deepest violet blue.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry for my assumptions...I just don't know any better.....
G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

You are right Gita, a lot of people see those blue orchids and don't realize that they are really white orchids that have been dyed.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, Here is the yellow orchid that I have.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

And hsre is my current yellow bloom. See the red blotch? Clearly different. How odd. And the little 'arms' are shorter too.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Holly, the petals almost look like exotic spider legs! Pretty nice :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, They are different. Pretty sure mine came from the swap. I was thinking that it was one of those really disreputable orchids that Coleup found and was looking for a good home. I know we both took some of those. But I could be wrong, I might have picked it up at one of the HGHA meetings.

The real blue orchid could be a good article topic. A quick google turned up an article or two about the 'true blue orchid' care that never ever named a genus or species. eHow is stupid.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey, whose orchids you calling 'disreputable' !?! lol

As far as I remember there were 8 plus pots of different orchids that were divided and shared around, They all came from one woman who grew them for years and had to drastically downsize her collection. These were the ones left after the other 50 or so 'sold' and were going to be discarded at the sale where they were donated, so I brought them home to share with you all. They were in 3 general groups by type, onoclium. cymbidium and ???

Anyhow, nice to see some of their blooms! Never look a free orchid in the mouth, no matter how disreputable>

rofl, I am sure that wasn't exactly the word Holly was looking for, coleup. If you see that woman or someone who knows her, tell her the orchids are being loved.
meanwhile
https://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=515

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Coleup, They where great Orchids. I knew you would jump in with the word 'disreputable' throw about.
I think you said something about them needing a loving hand and with the way they have all been blooming we must be giving them what they need. They have brought much pleasure to us. Thanks.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A closer look at Dancing Queen

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a pic of my Red Pearl in it's full glory.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4

I love the velvety rich look of that color

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

Is that my Brazilian Plume plant just in front of the Cactus?
I hope it blooms for you this year. Should have as many blooms as there are
stem tips tips

Looks like it...I have a whole new crop of them coming as I cut
Mama way back before I brought her in.

Will have lots to share...G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Some of you were interested in how my attempt of "leaf propagation"
of the Beefsteak Begonia was coming along.

The cuts in the leaf-veins have not done anything...
BUT--the buried stem of the leaf has started a new baby begonia.

So cute! Should separate it soon....G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Interesting

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow! That's pretty cool G!

Yes that is the Brazilian Plume. I feed it pretty heavy but it still hasn't done too much. I will say after I started feeding it though, it's gotten greener and nicer leaves. It does seem to lose the bottom leaves after new ones come out at the top. Is this a plant I shouldn't expect to do much while inside over winter? Or perhaps you have a secret you could share for excellent growth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.