What's happening in your neck of the woods - 2015

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

A New Year! I think we need a new thread. We've been on the old one since last May.

If you want to look back to 2014, go to: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1358507/

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the 'move over' Ann, I had ben thinking of doing it too :-)

Here's hoping the new thread, and, the NEW YEAR is brilliant !!!!

Best wishes everyone

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I didn't really wish everyone a Happy New Year and I should have done. I don't post much, but I do still read. I think our numbers are WAY down.

I kept track of the numbers of subscribers, taken from the weekly DG newsletter for over a year starting at the end of September 2013 until 2 weeks ago, they stopped listing the number of subscribers in the newsletter. The number dropped by over 25% in that time from slightly less than 4000 to quite a bit less than 3000. So the paid subscribers to DG are a drop in the bucket. I predict that we will see changes coming in how DG works.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Note also that they are obviously listing the birthdays of ALL members instead of just subscribers as the list of birthday people is quite long. That's another change.

Would like to say Happy New Year to everyone. I very seldom come on here any more, just to use my journal mostly. It is sad to see this site so different and so many gone. I don't like the fact that anyone can sign up for free and have access to all our old threads. People posted things and had conversations that they expected to stay within the view of subscribers only. I know that nothing should be shared on the internet that you wouldn't want the world to see, but I do think had we known it would be changed, more thought might have been put into what we shared.

Have a great year. I'm still ticking

B

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

so, we have changes to DG...... not surprised - the only thing that stays the same, is change.

This Looks Like A Normal Grocery Store, But When The Lights Go Out? Awesome.
It took a team of cashiers, 13 different hidden cameras, and a whole lot Christmas spirit to pull off this epic holiday surprise!
Edeka , Germany ’s largest supermarket chain, decided to surprise its shoppers with a seasonal treat.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/H965m0Hkk5M#t=14

Nice to see you, Echoes
Hope things are going well for you & yours :-)

Brenda, I really had to THINK before I re joined Daves in Aug/14
Like Ann and you, I poked around and noticed the member as opposed to NON member anomalies ..
I do think that this coming August may see me gone ..
I'm on FBook .. Brenda is on my list of friends, and, anyone else who'd like to can do so.
I'd miss the interaction on here, but, I do think 2015 is going to be a difficult year for me.

That said, I'll just continue along :-)

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi All and Happy New Year!
Thanks Ann for moving us over.

Brenda, nice to see you here. I've been wondering too about my being on this site. Ann I've had the same thoughts. I too am on Facebook and have kept up with a few folks that way I don't have my real name on there though.

It's great to pop in and comment and maybe once the garden gets going it will spark me again!
Enjoy putting in my two cents worth on this thread and only occasionally pop into others. I do use the resources on this site on a regular basis.

As always change comes along and it's what we make of it that matters.

Only time will tell but I am looking for a great 2015 and will expect nothing less.
Alberta Ann

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well, I think that DG will be forced to open up most forums to members who are not subscribers. Maybe they've done a lot already, I haven't looked. But if the threads are fully open, they won't be as private and that realization may be a good thing because nothing on Internet is really private. I'm also on FB.

We have our annual open house this afternoon. The weather will be a bit too cold to use my porch well as a fridge. It's always handy when it's a mild winter day and I can put stuff out there once thawed and keep it at serving temperature. This may be the last annual big party. #19, but I need to replace my carpet which is well over 20 years old and I'm not so sure I'm up for a big party with new carpets.

Saskatoon, SK(Zone 2a)

Hi everyone! I actually subscribed because non subscribers can't post or comment on most forums, it's very limited for what non subscribers can do on this site. I did suggest that they allow comments on blogs so we can give and receive input on our ideas. If any of you think that's a good idea you should suggest it as well, it would give us a different level of interaction.

Completely unrelated, does anyone have experience growing kochia grass as an ornamental in Canada?

Hi Akiel .. WELCOME

Can't say as I have ever tried 'Kochia Grass' .. is there another name for it ?

3a .. my Zone .. LOVES weeds :-)

Have made suggestions to admin along the lines you were speaking of ,, I guess they take it 'under consideration'.

Enjoy the site !!

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Akiel and welcome.

It's just my opinion, but I think what non subscribers can do here is going to change soon because the number of subscribers is well under 3000 now in a membership base of about 750,000. And the number of subscribers continues to go down, but how far is a deep, dark secret as they no longer tell us how many subscribers there are.

Ann

Saskatoon, SK(Zone 2a)

without subscribers the site might not be able to afford to stay up so I'm just going to keep tossing ideas here and there about features they could add to keep the subscribers they have :)

kochia grass can be called burning bush, I know it grows wild in southern Saskatchewan and can be a problem if not tended to before it turns into a tumbleweed, I'm hoping to grow it as an ornamental though because they can be so pretty when taken care of properly

Akiel .. there's the ticket :-)
If "burning Bush' is pruned, you have a lovely shrub.
My Mom had hers for years, very showy in the Autimn ..

Good luck

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Welcome Akiel,

Saw concerns on other threads re postings being open to the general public at large..the finally put the thread on a site that needed membership access.

I quit posting in the journals as I once keyed my name on Google and anything posted was listed there..think that is just so wrong

Cold today, like it much better than the snow we've been having

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

having "fun" today - pulling out pieces of the Weaving Loom my friend gave me - it's a 45" floor loom - Bob's going to put it together for me, in what USED to be my dining area - table & chairs are put away.
One reason for setting up the loom is to get it OUT of my sewing area - cannot do Any sewing with all these furniture pieces in storage around it. One of the pieces is what broke my sewing table when I tried to lower it to sew & cut on.........
This is the floor loom - http://prntscr.com/5rs78t
I'm looking forward to being able to sew/quilt again, and Then I'll do some weaving.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh my Susan, looks intimidating! Do you know someone who knows the loom?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

re: my new-to-me Loom
Spoke to my friend (Marlene) who gave it to me, and the Weaving Guild that she belonged to called her about it, and she told them that she gave it to a friend. They told her to have me call them. I told her that I couldn't afford to join the guild (no job......) and she said to call them, and explain my situation - they may be able to help somehow. So, I put a call in to them today - they were closed, so should hear from them another day.
I've gotten all the pieces for the loom in my dining area (took down the dining room table and put it away) and it should fit comfortably in that space. I will post pics of it as I get it partly assembled.
For my first project - I'd like to do a shawl......... that may be too ambitious, but we shall see - it's basically a long scarf, with fringes - those are added by knotting them on so that's an easy part lol
I saw instructions that said putting the loom together could be done with 2 people, but recommend 3 people.

Just back from bowling - my bowling was AWFUL lol
New lanes (they moved, and of course the new lanes are slippery, so I fell twice), favoured my injured left knee, and I haven't been bowling for about 3 years.....
3 games - 88, 92, 96, and me with a usual average of 172 LOL Oh well, I was getting better each game.......

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I just got an email from Northminster church, asking me to come back for a 2nd interview Thursday at 6pm! We have choir practice at 7:30, so depending on how long the interview is, I may just stay there for choir practice. If it's quick, I'll go home to breathe lol
The church is only 10 min drive from home.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Great news, Susan. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is indeed good news Susan..

so cold, how cold is it, with wind chill -39, was -42 at one point

just had homemade soup (glad I made a large pot) and fingers are numb and I'm inside with house at 73 lol

chilled I guess because I'm still slightly under the weather

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you :-)

just "slightly" under the weather, Betty? Glad to hear you're getting better!

Victoria Harbour, ON

have dr appt Monday but alas, not hopeful when I'm told at time of booking that the Doctor's been sick for 7 weeks..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

doesn't he have someone to fill in for him?

Victoria Harbour, ON

shortage of doctors in our region, guess he's making the best of it I guess

Lorna's parents are into week 3 with the flu .. it has them house bound and afraid to even think of leaving .
Her Mom has always been a fanatic about 'germs', and, she doesn't want to share them with anyone .. they have had to miss the funeral of a niece in law ...

Our frigid snap seems to have gone EAST to Betty .. we are going to +2 today (I hope)
Was able to get the dogs out for a walk yesterday .. and play with them in their compound .. they LOVED it :-)

Good luck with that loom Susan .. sounds huge !! Hope you get some good use from it.

Off to town to buy Smokey a new litter box ..

~M~

The 3 Westies actually sat STILL for a pic .. L-R .. Lilly, Zoey and Piper

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Love their pose "M"

Feel for Lorena's parents, been a month for me..starting to sneeze/cough again..my doc has had it 7 weeks

You did indeed send itto me,-32 registering, seemed to have gotten a few degrees colder since early a.m. And not warmer. Brrrrr

Thinking of making chickens and sliders for supper, might warm the tummy up

Lorna's parents saw their doc and were told they had to just 'wait it out' .. they are NOT used to sleeping in, or, napping but are doing it now.
Lorna wants to go down there, but, I really don't want to catch it, and, she sure can't afford to be sick ..
So .. we'll wait it out too ..

Our Westies light up our lives, and, making walking around a whole different experience as they LOVE to be at your feet !!!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

good idea because everyone seems to be passing it around very easily
really nothing could be done except just to watch them rest
know she feels badly though..had same thing with my mom when she was ill at christmas
look at those movie star doggies lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

just back from getting estimate on car repair - they'll send the info to the insurance co.
Repair won't be done until mid-Feb, so get to drive a damaged car until then - YUCK!

Victoria Harbour, ON

well you never know Susan, might get a few bumps and bruises until then lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

truer words were never spoken, Betty - just fell down 4 steps from my deck to the dry pavement below...... on my already bad knee.
Bob's just home.....

Victoria Harbour, ON

off to emerge you go!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

no - sitting here - gently moving my knee - Bob's been & gone (my instructions) back to work - glad I didn't hit my head - I did fall from the top step, after all.
Was throwing stuff out for garbage day - including a pillow, which I threw clear when I fell....... saved the pillow any harm lol No one around, so got myself up, and up the 4 steps to the deck and in,
Took 2 Ibuprofen, Bob brought home some codeine pain killers and gave me an ice pack for my already-swelling knee. guess I banged my knee, ankle and thigh all on left side.
I'm gently moving my leg, so it doesn't seize up. We'll see how things go by the time he's home from work. I'm not moving from this spot........

Did we lose some posts ?

Perhaps I'm just dreaming ?

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

back from the Dr's, etc
He doesn't like the looks of my knee and it worries him. He's given me paperwork to get an x-ray done tomorrow, and thinks I'll likely have to get another MRI done. Can't have the cortisone shot he was going to schedule me for when I saw him yesterday. Gave me a prescription for T3's and told me to continue taking Ibuprofen.
Going to be able to make the 2nd interview at 6pm. A friend is taking me for x-rays tomorrow am - will pick me up between 9 to 9:30 am. Another friend is picking up an order of fruits/veggies that's due to come in tomorrow afternoon.
Thank God for good friends, a caring doctor, and a husband who will be there any time I need him!!
Bob took me out for dinner, cuz he didn't think I would be able to "bustle around in the kitchen"..... nope, sure wouldn't be able to!

OOPS .. posted my last post on the wrong thread .. I DID need some sleep !!

Good luck with your knee Susan ...'

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hello and good morning, all!!
I go for an x-ray of my knee this morning - gotta tell ya though - my knee feels better this fall, than others - doesn't seem at all swelled, and yes I have bruising but even that isn't bad. It's just that this is on the already damaged knee that I'm being so careful. It isn't the best, but I can def put weight on it. Getting up isn't that easy, and the lower front of my knee is where it gives me grief when getting up, but I'm adjusting for it. It may be that the "evening" of damage on my knee may make me walk properly on it....... Maybe I'm putting a positive spin on it, but that's the way it seems to me.
DEFINITELY not the worst fall I've taken, nor the most swelling I've ever had.......!!!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

let's hope the end result is stay off it for a bit!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Where's the next thread?
btw - I did not get the job I'd been interviewing for....... just got the call this am.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.