January 2015 Ringing in a new year!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all, Just helping out here with a new thread for 2015. Happy New Year and will check back later.
Time to start eating up the peppers, pickles, & jams.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I hope that you all enjoyed ringing in the New Year safely and sounded by family and friends.

Time to start browsing the seed/nursery catalogs that have been filling my mailbox.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

from last thread>>> you said: After we finished eating, Chloe decided that we should drop large rocks on the ice to see if it would break which was kind of fun!

I am glad you are able to have this kind of memory making fun with your adorable Gd. :)
MMMMMM pickled peppers!

{{{{{{{{big hugs}}}}}}}}

Thumbnail by joeswife

Share with us the seeds you are dreaming over, Betty, when you can, plz.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

I started seeds last night heheheh.. however when i was mixing dirt I dumped rabbit turds all over laundry room lol oops

Bunch of Daylily crosses going I did last summer and Ghost Chilis...see what other trouble I can find today hehe

Happy New Year!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year All!

I hope this year is more normal than the last.

Debra,
We will find you next time if it happens again, LOL!

Oh Betty,
I'm glad he went peacefully, but I am so very sorry. (((((HUGE HUGS)))))
He was a resourceful caring man. It's how I would want to go to, no burden.

Bernie,
I'm so sorry for your MIL too.

Will,
I'm sorry for your friend. That would be very hard for him to deal with. How nice of his son to let you know.
My sister died two weeks before Christmas. There was no joy in opening her gifts. We shared some of them with my cousin.

Betty,
Thanks for the new thread. Chloe, what a breath of fresh air she is. To find fun by breaking ice made me smile.
Those canned peppers look good!

Badcat, I laughed to myself over the rabbit droppings! At least it's a better poo to clean up than others!

This morning I finally put the last of the regular ornaments back on the shelves. All of Christmas is packed away for another year. I'm sad to see it go, but time marches on.

Have a great 1st day of January!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Lets talk Cold Weather crops..somehow my onions and B Sprouts are still going outside and I want to do brocc and cauliflower...thoughts, ideas?, best time to start/plant outside?? New one for me... What else does better in cold weather? Going to sort through the "Stash" see what we got

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

BP lol I dumped hot water on them... why theyre still there. Glad you thought it was funny lol I didnt think so at the time hehe.. heading down to get them. Ill bring pics next time lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mustard plants , radishes off and on take some cold weather ,, Have not said much here in a while ,,

Happy New to all of you ,,,

A few little starts
First is the cat sitting Buddha , Sits in a chair that way sometimes and watches TV for a while ,,
ice plants seedlings with a something from last years sand , the big leafy thing , for now it is ..
Peach leaf Campanula under the bag
Last two , I told the plants to go sit in the corner ,, and whaddya know !!! they mind ,, lol They seem to be growing from there though ,,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's been a bit hectic for me lately. lol. Today all of our Christmas stuff went down to 75 percent off. We got hit pretty hard on it. So spent all day moving stuff down. Bought a couple things of icicle lights for the house next year. I think it'll look pretty!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hey ju, welcome back! Buddha the cat, that's quite comical! Nice work with the starts, Ju.

Ewww.. it's forecasted to be zero degrees in 4 days here! We'll see if that really happens but that would be cold! - http://www.kshb.com/weather

Yeah bp, he was really into Christmas and the whole season too, it was a bit of a dirty trick for him. He used to start singing "it's starting to smell a lot like Christmas everywhere I look" in July, at work in the 90's. He wasn't really a bad person either, I don't think Beelzebub was after him, it was just a bad coincidence.

Thanks for starting the new thread, Betty. This stray cat kinda looks like yours, (Felix?), in this first pic. -

I was driving around today and I went by a mobile home that I used to live in.
I couldn't believe how much these 2 'Cleveland Select' Bradford Pears have shot up.
Actually, I don't really like the trees, Bradford's have weak wood, their short-lived and their non-native, that's just a few things. Anyway, I got them, at Lowes, to bloom roughly the same time as that Redbud that's in between them, so there'd be a sort of cream/lavender/cream look in flower. I didn't really stay there long enuff to see that much. In the second pic that is them when I planted them in 2007, (looking the other direction). Pics 2 then 3 - today.
Here is my big momma Spiderplant having a drink in the sink, (it was full of water). pic #4

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The love and support that I have received this past week has helped me cope during a difficult time. Some people had me laughing; like my bil who shared some funny stories. I'm learning to appreciate my family and friends even more. What bothered me the most was my hubby's best buds fighting back the tears. My heart was breaking for them.

My bil writes the sports column for the local newspaper. He was telling me about some funny misprints -- not his fault, of course. Anyway, a typo using an "i"; instead of an "o" had an entirely different meaning when talking about making basketball shots. Then there was a chili cook off where the "chili" was misspelled "child". lol
I loved the bunny poo comment too.

I'd like to say more, but I need to finish making my overnight guests beds. Funeral tomorrow morning. It's going to be a beautiful service. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I do have a cat named Felix and he's a cream colored tabby. Millie is the stray rescue and you're right. Millie the stray rescue is a tuxedo cat.

Oh yes, the beige one is Felix, here he is. - link #1 - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9887054&extraimg=0

Your hubby Bill sure looks like a nice man. - link #2 - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9888300&extraimg=3 Sure hope I don't dredge up memories for you Betty and make you cry. : )
Will

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Badcat,
We've decided we don't like the Brussels I grow, so I will drop them and do more Broccoli. THAT was good. DH bent wire into hoops and we cover it with the see thru garden cloth. No cabbage worms in my broccoli and cabbage.
I've never done cauliflower. I'm slowly getting it back in our diets, but may just buy it for now.
I have the Egyptian Walking Onions that are a bit green, but are for early spring.
I've been waiting for the catalogs to pile up, and they are. I get to order all new seed so I'm going to go crazy! I picked up a "Seed Savers" from the State Fair and will order from it too.
Otherwise, I won't start anything much till early spring in the house and put the cold crops like peas and spinach out in late April.
I do have garlic that I planted this spring. It never came up so I thought it died. Mid summer, since I didn't wreck the rows, it started showing. So, I think next July, I will have my garlic crop....
Yes, it was funny! I could see them rolling everywhere!

Happy New Year Ju!
Glad you're posting!
Laughing, Buddha is pretty cool!
Your seedlings look great! So do the house plants. I haven't had house plants for years! Small windows just didn't provide enough light.

Pepper,
We went shopping Wednesday, but it wasn't crowded. I had to order the foot massager I researched , from Amazon. The stores didn't sell it and it was the one with no bad reviews. Their loss.
The lights will look very pretty!

Will,
We are to be 4° BELOW zero. NOT liking that!
I'm not big on the Bradford Pears either, the blooms, while pretty, STINK!
Cute, lucky stray! A bit of advice. Is there anyway to attach a rag to cover the opening of the cat house? It sure keeps a lot of the wind out and makes a nicer place to sleep. Even if it is heated with a pad.
Wow, they really did shoot up! Best way to enjoy them tho is a drive-by, LOL!
NICE spider plant!

Betty,
Having a lot of friends do help you get thru it. For DH's Dad, it was his Army Buddies that got to me.
HUGE HUGS for you and Chloe. Keep her close. She will help you more than anyone.

DH actually slept twice yesterday. He's better today. I am fighting off a cold, but it might be gaining. Hence the soup making.

Luckily, we did not have the kids this week. DD would rather wait till she has the tall kitchen cabinet/cupboard. It will be a put together, so she needs no kids around while she does that, and, stocks it.

I made soup day before yesterday using the canned turkey carcass broth. GOOD broth flavor! It has a lot of cabbage, onion, garlic, and dried Shitake mushrooms in it. I've started to buy the dried packages of Shitakes. I found they need to be cut or broken is very small pieces because they are chewy! They are one of the healthiest to eat tho.

Have a healthy day all!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Betty the column misprints are funny hahaha bout spit my coffee everywhere!

Ju Happy New Years!! Good lookin starts!!

Dr Will.. keep the 0 degree stuff haha

BP.. 1st for me lol wasnt expecting them to live. See if theyre any good! Great that your garlic came up! Nice surprise!!! :) I think there is brocc out there..or cauliflower? Idk lost track lol

Got Ghost chili, habaneros, and jal peppers..orange bell, and a type mater. I started them this early last year and had a great crop. However it looks like im doing illegal stuff in the basement =o lol, guess if the police show up Ill offer them milk and cookies before taking them downstairs haha.

1- baby sprouts
2- sprout plants
3-DL Seeds
4- onions

Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat

Haha! Dr Will, that's funny! Shortly after it's zero here it'll be zero there, toots!
A rag bp? I found out about cats that they like to be able to see all around. That plastic doesn't seal very well but most of the time it's closed better than that up there. It just swings in and out and unfortunately when they go in they don't always get it pushed back right away. It's usually closed pretty well after awhile, they squirm around in there and move all around and I think they get the door pretty well closed after awhile. That clear tote up there was the first one I put out there and it was a huge hit. I think they liked it so much because they could see out real good, but it didn't have four walls and I never really liked that much. I saw multiple cats at different times in it, I think they still use it.
Bad is growing weed, shame.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

I AM NOT!!!! lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Chickweed , Ragweed , Dandelion Weed , Teaweed , stinkweed , fireweed ,, Munchy weeds ..
lol ?

LOL!! If it makes you feel better Bad, I grew seeds inside one year and had cops fly overhead several times. After that crop was done I quit and last year I donated the stuff to a thrift shop. lol

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol NO illegal stuff!!! That headline would be great.. Former Military Police and CO gone Homemaker/Drug Dealer..offered cops milk and cookies.. Crazy!

Taking my neighbor to Sams Club this morning. We butchered hogs last weekend, Hams and Bacon are done being smoked so we need to go pick up. BACON!!!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's my indoor growing center used the past few winters. I'm going to do the same this year. I did share this in the past. (Will, you don't have to find those posts and share the link; unless you really want to.)

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My co-worker who is actually doing all my work right now while I'm out on bereavement leave is a former Army MP! She is also very nice. : )

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Badcat,
Nice little Brussels coming on!
Cool! Are you starting them in that gel?
Onions and sprouts look good! Are the onions plants or sets, and did you plant them this spring and just didn't pull them to use?
My habaneros didn't grow. It was new seed too, grumble grumble...

Will,
I made the picture bigger, so I see the cats are pretty comfy. We have snow and ice blow in ours. Our cats have a front and back window, LOL!

Ju,
I not only spit out my coffee, I am now rolling on the floor laughing!!

Pepper,
Seriously? My neighbor has had his basement lights on for over a year now and no one ever looks.
I have my plant stand in the room by the alley and no one ever looks :o) Of course the lights run all day and shut off at night.

It's been a nice long quiet week. I've only had to touch up the house. Most of my work is done. This is when I usually break out a jigsaw puzzle or read a big book.

At 6:40am, we are still dark.

Have a winter day because you're going to have one anyway, LOL!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oooh Badcat,
That would be quite a scandal!
Did you have a locker smoke the ham and bacon? (Funny how this thread is going now, since Will started trouble, LOL!)

Betty,
I like your foil lined growers!
How long do you have for bereavement and how are you doing?

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Good Job Wil!!! You derailed the train! rofl

Betty your not helping the Spring Fever!! lol Im so ready!!! Big Hugs!

BP- little icecream cups of water, when they sprout Ill put in dirt. Neighbor used to make Icecream and He gave me 4 boxes of containers all diff sizes.
Onions were a set I planted last spring but I checked this fall the bulbs were same size so I left em. Didnt expect them to still be alive!!! Lol parsley is still going too. Habs/Hot hot peppers need a warming mat and really warm sprouting conditions, my experience anyway. Locker smoked it, Im not that awesome lol.

Im ready for these days!!!! No more cold, dark, rainy ick!!!

This message was edited Jan 3, 2015 8:36 AM

Thumbnail by badcat
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well the other more serious is Mustard , Radish, lettuce All grow like weeds , good munchies ..
Coldest weather is here now , Spring is the same as a long way , away . warm for January so far though , Raining , 40's and 51 or so today , that is really warm for here ,
Planted poppies as the forecast was for freezing rain , if they germinate outside now they will freeze and die ,, two months to try again does not make it any better , 30's and 40's are perfect for poppy seed germination ,,,
Goofing off at lunch time , for a few minutes here .
Love the pics , all the new little goodies ,

I was looking through the past seasons flowers , my how that cheers up gray days . well, I lost the file someplace , After two months the files get compressed in the saved files ..

Hoping for good season with you all !!!

Those green cat houses have front and back windows too but I have the houses laying like that so they're under the eave. They go in and out all the doors/windows though, I've seen them.

Oh, sure on the derailing. I know folks grow weed, they just don't say they do because they don't live in CO.! Just kidding! Geez, I look like a pothead but I haven't smoked weed since 1998! And, I'm not about to smoke it or I'd never get a decent job. At the last temp job I was at a temp-worker friend got hired permanently but he failed the drug test and not only did he lose that sweet Time Warner job. The temp company didn't want him even and he had no job (it took him 9 mos. as a temp to get a fulltime job offer). I don't work there anymore but I keep in touch with a Time Warner friend who got laid off last year and he keeps me up to date.

Here is a couple of our cats, (actually Bernie on the left is considered mine but he's a stray, he won't stay in the house more than a half-day). pic #1 Bernie is a large cat but he doesn't give any of the other cats trouble. Most of the other cats are females like Stuart there on the right but they'll hiss and swing at him, he just stands there like a good boy!

Thanks bp, that Spiderplant is a must-have here.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cats are pretty patient if they like where their at , nice pic will .

Will , Here's a slightly fuzzy pic of the Spider plant trade from you .due to be re-potted the next couple of of months . Everybody got starts ,,
Good to hear and talk with you also .. After all , we like sending spiders to people ,,, he , he .
And hold the Tarantua's . please ,,

You also Billy p .. lol I find it difficult to keep up with the conversation ,,

And once again Green and Badcat , love the little starts !

Thumbnail by juhur7

snowing here, it went from 37 to 33 in 30 minutes, we just got home from our movie date, we went ahead of the storm. Glad you are all growing and smiling. I will be in the basement most the night. I hear football on so run I must away from it LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

Good to talk to you too ju. Yeah, no Tarantula's or Brown Recluses please!
That Spiderplant there has really grown alot ju. It's a descendant of the big one that I posted up there. I don't think it came directly off of it. I believe it was a baby off another plant that I have or had, Jw or GB may have the direct plant that provided the baby.

Just for the record, I wasn't growing weed either. LOL. Just some normal stuff. And the main reason cops flew over, in broad daylight, was because my neighbor has a bad rep with cops for various reasons. Other than that, being out in the country and all, the only way they would have known to fly over was either they were already out checking or someone saw the light in the window and said something thinking I was up to no good. LOL.

I'm the person who can't speed even a mile over without cops giving me evil eye or shaking a finger at me. Downside of small town living. LOL!!

Will, I have brown recluse here. I have them in my room all the time. I always look before I walk in so I can grab the hose off the garage vac and suck em up.

I might have that spider plant along with some spiders, but I don't mind them.. I ust catch them and throw them to the hungry fish anyways

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Yeah, sure pepper! lol

Yes, Brown Recluse spiders are hideous. I got bit by one in 1993. It just gave me a bad bruise and made me real sore for a few days. I rolled over on it in bed and killed it, I think that kept it from getting a good poisonous bite in me. They are to be avoided, man, if I knew I had them I'd bomb the room at least. They can get in your shoes and your clothes and BAM!
Can you imagine how they skulk around in the dark on your bed?!

I need some feeder Goldfish. They're cheap, they're only around $1 for a dozen of them.
I'm not implying that's what yours are Debra, there are many different kinds. : )

I went to a birthday gathering today for my neighbor friends, Jim and Peggy.
Ever seen a quarter sheet birthday cake? It was small but there was only 3 of us.
I'm talking about big portions of cake and icing, I mean no worrying about making sure there's enuff for everybody..lol

Eeeeek Debra! It has done something like that temperature drop here too, only we got snow along with it! That same system may have came up here, it's a little below freezing now. This should make for some nice road travel come later today. There's that Romeo the stray cat in the other house now, he likes to rotate occupancy between the two, I think he thinks he owns them both. See his eyeball reflecting pretty good there? He does have a tuxedo on his head! He don't come out of that house when somebody opens the door or goes out there, he just likes to look to see what's going on. - pic #1

I see the baby in your avatar, Debra. Is that the grandchild that was born just a few months ago?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Oh, here's that b-day cake. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Yep, Will. My mom had been a professional cake decorator for years; until developing arthritis in her thumb. She did full sheets, 1/2 sheets, & the occasional 1/4 sheet cakes besides wedding cakes. Very nice bd cake. My mom also has a scar on her thigh from a brown recluse spider bite. It got her in the car while driving!

Very windy here with temps dropping. Excited because Downton Abbey premiers tonight. This Saturday, Jan. 10 my youngest daughter Nicole turns 25! She prefers cheese cake over traditional frosted bd cake. She wants to spend her bd at the local arcade/fun park! Her dad left behind his $50 worth of bicentennial coins which I'm calling his bd present to her. : )

I know that this winter storm is going to be worse for some than others. Stay safe! Leaving for
church soon and have to get out early to give someone on the other side of town a ride.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Joes wife ..Lol at the basement comment...Im with ya!!! So cool with the fish and plants!

Pepper glad you got all that out in the open!!! hehe ;)

Ju pics help, but they make me itch for spring!!! lol

Will... was the water to counteract all that sugar?!? lol

Yesterday was busy! Went to Sams and got groceries, Hubs got the hams and Bacon, spent a few hours packaging, changed DL water and have babies!! :), Laundry is done, rabbit poop done, ran rabbits.. Going to faff about today I think

1- BACON!!! 25# worth
2- funny pic.. wish I knew what she was thinkin lol
3- ham
4- 1st baby!!! Out of Tal/Jaws, cross im very excited to see!! :)
5- box of hams!

Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat

mmmm Hams! what is the name of that baby again? you all are wayyy too busy for a weekend.

Yes, Will, that is my grandaughter she is going to be 7 months old in a few days now.
what ya doing with the wabbitt poo?

I wish we lived in the country so I could have some chickens and rabbits to eat.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2015 12:33 PM

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

h

This message was edited Jan 4, 2015 1:12 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Shopping list
pickled peppers
vegetable starts
flower starts
House plants ,
Basement with plants Including aerators and fishes ! lol
upstairs windows with plants
Pets (and time ) to take care of them) Goats , cats , dogs , Rabbits , Chickens ,,
Grandbabies !!!
Garden buddies ,, (including good conversation !
SPRING !!! with Good health !!!

All here on this thread , Now if it was all only real for my shopping list ,, ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.