Does red = raw????

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

This past Christmas I cooked a 5 lb standing rib roast (prime rib) by cooking @ 425 deg for 45 min , then @ 0 deg for. 3 hours without opening oven door. Close to serving time it was reheated til thermometer read 145 deg. When I started slicing I panicked a little bit b/c roast was quite red, except for the outer 1" which was a nice brown. The meat was soft and tasty as butter, not hard or chewy as one would imagine red raw meat to feel/taste. Most definitely a success.

Doing a quick google I couldn't find anything about this cooking process, or whether red = raw

Your wisdom on subject will be appreciated

PS: the key was keeping oven door closed and I'm usually not a "peeker" but JUST b/c this recipe called for not opening the door, the three hours seemed eternal and it was hard to resist temptation to open . The mind can play wicked tricks on you, lol

This message was edited Dec 30, 2014 8:44 AM

This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!