Help please - Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket ;)

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Seed catalogs have arrived here in Michigan, and before we know it, it will be vegetable seed starting time again. I have some Christmas money that I'd like to use on indoor seed starting/plant growing equipment and so I'm asking for your input please. Do you have equipment that you're real happy with? Equipment you really don't like? I'd appreciate it if you would let me know what's good and what to stay away from so that I make a time-tested, educated purchase please. I'm interested in everything from the simplest units to elaborate. .....Last thing I want to do is waste my money. :-)

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to read your suggestions and order my equipment!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Watch this video. About halfway through, he shows you his light kit setup. I made one just like it for about $13 worth of Pvc and couplings. I used a simple T12 fluorescent shop light kit, though, with two bulbs per kit.

IF I had the money that's burning a hole in your pocket, I would purchase the T8 light kit that he used, because it puts out more bright light for the seedlings. My T12s work just fine, but, the T8s are better. They're also more expensive. $50-60 for his four light kit, vs. $10 for my two light kit...

The construction is super simple. Just measure your trays for length and width, them build the PVC grow light stand to fit around it, using the elbow, cross, and T-couplers. Get a PVC cutter at the Box stores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAYpn2Md9eA

Enjoy!

P.S. If you do NOT glue the couplers on, you can break the grow light stand down at the end of your season, and put it away for storage.

Linda

Enjoy!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2014 2:35 PM

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Here is a similar light setup from PVC pipe but stacked vertically to save space. Each tier has two "shop lights" with two fluorescent tubes hanging from chains so you can adjust the height above the plants. I have tried both the cool white and warm white colors (and one of each) but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Each tier has room for 4 10x20 trays.

Thumbnail by DonShirer

That's like the one in my grow room. Only, I used cinder blocks with 1x12s for the shelves. My fluorescent shop kits sit side x side, so I have four lights per shelf. Lots of light.

I have one grow light stand in each of two rooms. Four shelves each, eight lights on each stand, total of sixteen T12 shop lights.

The kits are $10-12 per two-light kit, so, roughly $160 worth of shop light kits + the cost of the eyebolts, jack chain, "S" hooks, power strip, and timer. The replacement bulbs are very do-able at $20/case of 10 bulbs.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Don, I like how you made your pvc frame fit the wire shelving they carry at the big box stores!
I thought you had to use grow lights. Do florescent lights do the job too?

Linda and Don, do either of you use heat mats under the trays?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Glenda:
I only use heat mats for plants like peppers which won't germinate well at the 65°F temperature of my sun room in March.
Here are some links to articles comparing different kinds of grow lights. The consensus seems to be that fluorescent lights are ok, but wide-spectrum bulbs can increase growth at considerable extra cost. I am going to experiment with a couple of T5 fixtures this year to compare with regular fluorescents.

http://progressivegardening.com/plantgrowinglights.html

https://www.hydrofarm.com/resources/articles/fluor_lights.php

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/houseplants/care/choosing-plant-grow-lights/

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G6515

http://www.urbanorganicgardener.com/2012/02/how-to-select-the-best-grow-light/

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have found that seedlings prefer the cool spectrum shop lights. If I put a warm spectrum light in with a cool spectrum the seedlings will lean towards the cool spectrum light. They do need the warm spectrum to bloom....but my plants are outside by then...

I don't use a heat mat. I run my moistened seed starting mix through an old microwave oven, heating up the mix for about 15 minutes. It's pretty hot. Then I work fast dropping the seeds, and shove the trays into large, clear plastic drawstring bags that have been vented with some holes.

Then I put the trays on the floor under the shelf in the dark. The heat from the soil forms condensation on the bags and keeps the seedlings moist until they pop. Usually I have heat buildup in the bags. I stuck my hand in a bag one time, and was surprised at how warm it was inside.

For the past three seasons doing it this way, my seedlings have declared (peeped, popped, germinated) in 5 to 7 days.

Linda

This message was edited Jan 2, 2015 11:45 AM

This message was edited Jan 2, 2015 11:48 AM

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

The warm spectrum grow lights are for house plants to encourage bloom. You don't need them for seed starting - the less expensive standard bulbs work better.

You might want to get some trays. I would get solid ones, with draining ones as an insert/liner, and a few clear dome covers ( you don't need a cover for every tray, you will be removing them as soon as the seeds sprout).

Get some more input on what to use for pots. Personally, I think I will stop using peat pots. The peat pellets have worked okay for me, but others have had problems with them. Recycled plastic pot work well, but I have trouble coming up with enough in the right size. I think I might try rolling my own paper pots.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much, everyone! :)
Don, I'll check out the links and do some online window-shopping to compare prices.

Linda, I don't have an old microwave. Is there something about heating the soil that keeps you from using your kitchen microwave??? It sounds like great way to warm the soil!

By the way, pollengarden, last year I had a lots of trouble using peat pots and I won't be using them any more.

Glenda,
No u problem using the indoor microwave. In fact, I did a couple batches indoors last week.

I moved my seed starting operation to the garage, and having the microwave nearby is just handy.

Lastly, I track too much dirt going in and out, so outside it is!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I splurged a few years ago, and bought a Parks Seed BioDome. It has little spongy seed starters, and a styrofoam block that holds them. I do use a heat mat, and a light that raises and lowers. I just replace the sponges each year. I got the jumbo size, but there are others with more spaces. I have tried many other things, but none have worked as well as this. Just my 2 cents.

Allentown, United States

Quote from happytail :
I splurged a few years ago, and bought a Parks Seed BioDome. It has little spongy seed starters, and a styrofoam block that holds them. I do use a heat mat, and a light that raises and lowers. I just replace the sponges each year. I got the jumbo size, but there are others with more spaces. I have tried many other things, but none have worked as well as this. Just my 2 cents.

Do you have an update on your biodome seed starting? I just purchased a set and I’m not sure how I feel about it.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I had poor germination rate with peppers seeds and started watering with warm water and it solved the problem.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I use two 3' x 20" heat mats to start seed in my basement and then pot up and move seedlings above to two additional 6' Rubbermaid shelves under lights. I'm able to grow out hundreds of flower and vegetable seedlings each year to standard nursery size, mostly from saved and gifted seed, year after year this way. The two mats, six lights (two per shelf level plus mat level) and shelving were altogether under one hundred dollars and have been in use for more than ten years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.