Help identifying Cactus

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hi all

I have posted this cactus in Plant Id without success so I hope someone here can help me identify the Species of Cactus that it is from.

I have posted various photos that hopefully will help in its ID.

Thanks
cristina

Thumbnail by cristina Thumbnail by cristina Thumbnail by cristina Thumbnail by cristina Thumbnail by cristina
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Looks a lot like something from the Rebutia family.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

I wouldn't say no, but the one I have does not have many thorns.
Could it be a member of the Mammillaria sp.

Cristina

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Cristina,

the flowers are not right for mammillaria. I initially thought some kind of coryphantha but again the flowers do not quite look right, while they look right for the Rebutia, Echinopsis, etc. complex, some of those come pretty spineless.

Menasha, WI

cristina, maybe check out Lobivia species. Cll

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Thanks cactusloverlady but the problem I have with it been Lobivia is the lack of thorns, as for it been a Rebutia sp. I am not sure again the lack of thorns . What I am leaning towards is an Echinopsis sp. possibliy an unknown hybrid from that sp.? not sure it is really stumping me.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Here is another photo showing the flower along with a bud and what looks like a smaller cactus/baby at its base.

As I stated before if it wasn't for the lack of thorns I would have assumed it was an Echinopsis but the thorns a very small or no thorns at all.

That is why I thought it could be a new hybrid... the bees do an amazing thing around here[?].

Cristina

Thumbnail by cristina
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I stand corrected...
The Lobivia are part of the Echinopsis and Rebutia genera now and the flower is right for that complex.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Wow, Xenomorf I do believe you are right. After some time looking in Google at images of the Lobivia Sp. I came across many images with very close resembalence of the cactus I have, flower thorn and general shape match my cactus so I have come to the conclusion that it must be from the Lobivia sp.

Thank you all

Cristina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.