Tod's 2014 dahlias

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

It will take me some time to scale all these pictures, but I'll try to keep going till I am finished with it. My poor memory can't seem to store more than 250 names, so I don't recall all of the names.

First one is the beds all tilled and ready, with the Hilltop cuttings in pots. Then Brandy Bay, Almand Joy, Big Checkers, and Hilltop Emily.

Thumbnail by todgor Thumbnail by todgor Thumbnail by todgor Thumbnail by todgor Thumbnail by todgor

Camano Bram, something billed as Grand Prix but more like Seattle, not sure, Ms Prissy, Kidd's Climax.

Thumbnail by todgor Thumbnail by todgor Thumbnail by todgor Thumbnail by todgor Thumbnail by todgor

Pennsgift, Almand Joy, two of Kelvin Floodlight, Pennhill Watermelon.

AC Ring of Fire, Miss Delilah, Papageno, AC Aquarius, Clearview Snowcap (I think).

Pennsgift, not sure, a group shot, not sure, Zorro.

Lulu Island Art, group shot, not sure, might be AC G & L, a group shot with AC Kahuna.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Fantastic work, Tod. The photos are all beautiful and I applaud your energy and devotion.

First was supposed to be Santa Claus, but it is Red Empire. Then Belle of Barmera, unknown, and two of Clearview Daniel.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2015 1:35 AM

Hollyhill Black Beauty, two of Hollyhill Icarus, might be Bonaventure, unknown.

G&M-T&T, Camano Bram, 3 unknowns.

Unknown, either Kelvin White or Fleurel, La Luna, Taum Sauk, Andriana with Belle of Barmera.

Andriana, Belle of Barmera, two unknowns, Kenora Sunset.

Kelvin Floodlight, Lulu Island Art, AC Kahuna, unknown, Belle of Barmera.

All beauties, Tod. You must look forward to your dahlias all winter long. When do you plant them outside and when do you start them inside?

I wish I had room to start more than a few inside, but I only usually do that for cuttings if its too cold. Lately I request the cuttings show up in May so I don't have to do that. Usually I start planting 2nd or 3rd week of May, though that can continue into June.

Thanks. I put them under lights, in the basement, much too soon this year. It's easier for me to allow them to wake up on their own terms, then allow them to grow and harden them off, then plant.

Mentor, OH

Great photos, Tod! Thanks for posting. I like to see photos from actual gardeners since catalog photos sometimes seem a little enhanced. I've grown some that didn't look like what I expected.

In the photos you posted at 11:55, I agree that the fourth one looks to be Bonaventure, which is one of my favorites. I love the way the bloom can appear to change colors depending on the light. They seem to change from yellow to bronze to almost a tan color on any given day.

Thumbnail by psudan Thumbnail by psudan Thumbnail by psudan

That's interesting!

Hart's Blood Red (I think), Papageno, group shot, Penhill Yellow Queen, AC Aquarius.

Hollyhill Icarus, Hollyhill Black Beauty, Clearview David, two group shots.

Two of more of Clearview David, group shot, not sure, Purple Taiheiyo.

AC G & L, not sure, Fidalgo Snowman, Vanquisher, Eva Luna.

Purple Taiheiyo, maybe Spartacus, Alpen Pauline, Survivor, Lulu Island Art.

Lulu Island Art, not sure, White Perfection, maybe Penhill Yellow Queen, Clearview David (yet again :)

Now we all know who it is that keeps the dahlia companies in business!

Great photos, Tod, and a splendid display of your beauties.

2 not sures, Pennsgift, Ryecroft Club, Sans Souci.

Two of Spartacus, Sellwood Glory, not sure, La Luna.

Mentor, OH

Beautiful blooms, Tod! I love PH Yellow Queen but mine grew tall and lanky and the stems couldn't hold up the big, heavy blooms. I have to find a way to remedy that.

You mentioned that it was"maybe" PHYQ. It also looks a lot like Trooper Dan. I've had both and the biggest difference in mine was PHYQ was 6'-8' tall and TD was less than 3'. Either one is as perfect a bloom as you will find.

Might be CBGB, could be Alpen Pauline, not sure, Taum Sauk, Purple Taiheiyo.

Zorro, two of a misnamed variety that resembles Shockwave, Morgenster, group shot.

Group shot, could be Zorro, probably White Perfection, two of Color Magic.

Not sure, two of Danum Rhoda, not sure, Almand Joy.

My Trooper Dan was a bit more spiky with less petals I would say. I think it is this one below. In October the winds picked up and PYQ had grown over the 8 foot stake, and I could not tie it up there. So it started to fall apart then. But prior to that, it was quite sturdy as long as I tied it well. I had to support it by also connecting it stretch tie with the surrounding stakes. Maybe the higher nitrogen in that bed helped.

Thumbnail by todgor

Two of Vista Kestyn, two of Belle of Barmera (I think), Warf.

Group shot, not sure, Almand Joy, Ivanetti with one bloom reverted to Cornell, the same red Ivanetti.

Ivanetti, Constania Lemon, Elk's Eyreka Marie, two of Misthill Contessa.

Vassio Meggos, Ferncliff Bliss, Elizabeth Mellinger, AC Angie, not sure.

Two not sures, AC Angie, could be Mingus Millie B, AC F & P.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2015 1:28 PM

Two of Nenekazi, Hart's Blood Red, Morgenster, Fleurel.

Gitt's Respect, Avignon, Belle of Barmera, Elizabeth Mellinger, Ferncliff Bliss.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.