Maximilian sunflower

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have some extra Max. sunflowers if anyone would like some. It's the very tall "Lemon Yellow" variety, perennial.

Thumbnail by judyb
Prescott, AZ

Hi JudyB, I hate to see a post without any answers! I have a maximillian sunflower in my grey-water area, it's one of the few things that's done well, spread out, and blooms like crazy every summer, has now died back to the ground for the winter here. I didn't know they came in different colors, mine is a sort of regular sunflower yellow/orange. It's a plant I would recommend to anyone, very easy to grow and produces lots of flowers.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Nopala, for the vote for the Maxies. I've seen that there is at least 3 or 4 different varieties. I'd love to have a start of your "regular sunflower yellow/orange" if you divide them. :-). I'd be glad to send you postage, shouldn't be too much from Prescott. If you don't divide, don't concern yourself with it. If you would like a start of mine, I'll send you one in trade. Let me know, they are dug now.

Prescott, AZ

I do need to divide it this year, after the holidays. I'd be happy to swap, stick one in a pot for me if you can until we connect. I get to the Phoenix area fairly often, maybe we can meet somewhere. Thanks,

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Will do. Hope to see you!

Prescott, AZ

I'm a Botanical Garden member, and always try to get there in January when the aloes are blooming. Are you available during the week some time in January? I can get one guest in with me for free.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

That would be lovely but my health is rather temperamental and doesn't allow me to do a lot of fun things, as much as I would like to. Thanks for offering and I hope you can visit my garden while you're in Phoenix. I'm on the northeast side so perhaps on your way to or from? I have a couple of appointments during Jan. but most of my time is free.

Prescott, AZ

I'm sure we can figure something out, I'll be back in touch in a couple of weeks. Thanks for saving one for me!

Prescott, AZ

Hi JudyB! The snow melted and the ground is soft, so I dug the roots up today. I haven't used the Dave's Garden "d-mail" feature but will try it now so we can figure out how I can exchange these. I hope you are doing well in spite of the recent storm and cold, maybe I can meet you soon.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'll take Max seeds if anyone will share.

Prescott, AZ

I don't know about seeds, but they seem to sprout easily from root divisions. It's the completely wrong time of year right now for seeds or divisions, but I would be happy to share in the Fall or Winter. Mine are just sprouting up now.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have a couple that have been loosely wrapped in plastic that look as if they are still viable, going on the fact that there are little green shoots on them. Rene, if you want them, come up and get'em.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.