Be of Good Cheer December 2014

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

December is a month of contrasts with some bleak and dreary shortening days and lights, lights everywhere at night. Shivering cold and meltingly warm fires and friends to warm our hearts. Thought we might share some of the things we hold special at this time of year in the gardens of our lives or just think are cute or clever or tasty! Stop by and share a memory, tradition, hope or wish and pictures if you can.

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Last year my DGS s got together with their cousins to make Gingerbread houses, critters and 'men' Just saw this 'Gingerbread Man Makeover' on Rachel Ray show this am.
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/19269_grant_s_gingerbread_man_cookies/

I like the 'dancing' version best

"Make-Over Methods

Dancing Gingerbread Man

Roll the cookie dough out on a well-floured surface. Cut out a few gingerbread men using a large cookie cutter. Cut off their legs. Using your fingers spread the bottom of the gingerbread man out to make enough room to cut out two finger sized holes. Using the back of a pastry tip, cut out two holes on the bottom of the gingerbread man. Carefully place them on a cookie sheet and bake. Let cool and decorate.

Rudolph the Gingerbread Man

Roll out, cut and bake the gingerbread men. Let cool. Using a piping bag with some white frosting in it, draw a big circle covering the head of the gingerbread man. While the frosting is still sticky, dip it in some red sanding sugar to create a big red nose. Pipe on two eyes in the center of the gingerbread man. Starting from between his eyes, pipe antlers up the legs of the gingerbread man.

Hugging Gingerbread Man

Roll the cookie dough out on a well-floured surface. Cut out a few gingerbread men using a large cookie cutter. Put them onto a cookie sheet. Place a peppermint candy or a sprig of rosemary on the gingerbread man’s chest. Carefully fold his arms over the rosemary or peppermint. Bake in the oven. Let cool and decorate.

Drunk Gingerbread Man

Roll out, cut and bake the gingerbread men. Remove the gingerbread men from the oven and, while they’re still hot, remove them into a martini glass, mug or, if you’re making them for a crowd, a muffin pan. Allow them to cool in the glass. Once cool, decorate them accordingly. When you’re ready to serve pour some eggnog, hot cocoa or milk over them and serve immediately."

IKEA has frozen gingerbread dough in their freezer section.

Anyone do cookie exchanges?

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Tomorrow we go to the White House for the Christmas Display. We are really looking forward to it. I've seen the HGTV specials which are great, but to experience the whole thing first hand should be even better. We are going as a group with the York Garden Club, so it will probably be me and 40 women. Yesterdays luncheon was at the York Country Club, one of the top 50 of 7000 nationwide country clubs. It was me and about 100 women. LOL Many who have seen me dressed for gardening (cargo shorts, flip flops, and tee cut off, but couldn't place "that guy". ROTFLMAO The only downside to the trip is we meet at York Fairgrounds at 5:30 AM and no cameras. I hope they have a 4x6 pack of pics you can buy. If they do I'll try and scan and share some and since I'm not driving I maybe able to nap on the bus, (really? with 40 women chatting?), Not. ML

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

love the hugging gingerbread men!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Have fun, Ric!

I've done cookie exchange many years with a neighborhood group, which has mostly disbanded, so won't be doing it this year. DS1 is a rabid nutrition nut these days, so mass amounts of sugar make me feel very conflicted. But he's actually tolerant of a certain amount of seasonal 'sugar'- snickerdoodles a favorite of his haha.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We had some flurries just now. Brief--but it coated every branch in white.
So--it was a wet snow. Only lasted 1/2 hour.

Made things look rather festive...

Snow on my Camellia--snow on Olga's Rhodo--and snow on my Ferns...

AWWWW.....G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

We had a bit less, but still cheery in Millersville. Annapolis probably a bare dusting and fast melt.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I had a wonderful day, Ric and I went to Washington today with the Garden Club bus tour to see the White House Christmas decorations, then over to the US Botanical Gardens. Just got home, exhausted but very happy. It was pretty cold down there but the skies were clear a beautiful day.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Like Holly said, we had a nice clear day here. Cold, but no wind so it wasn't bad. I thought it was going to snow when I saw sleet fall for about 30 seconds, but it stopped. We had a gorgeous orange sunset.
I was outside for most of the day because Meadows Farms came to install a stepping stone path from my patio to one of my gates. They did the hard work, of course, but I had to move stuff out of the way, make sure they knew where my precious plants were : - ), walk the path to make sure it fit my gait, and replant some groundcover. They were a great crew.

My neighborhood still maintains an association, with a few yearly events. One is Christmas Card day. They pick a Sunday and everyone puts cards into the boxes of neighbors that are 'sending' cards to. You take them all out before mail delivery Monday. Saves us all some postage over the years.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

gita, love your festive snow pics. Thanks.

Did as close to one of my bucket list items today when I rode the streets of West Annapolis in a horse drawn wagon driven by Santa. The horses were a pair of Black Beauty Percherons. Just exquisite animals. Alas, no snow and not a sleigh on a full moon night but 'over the river and through the woods' and stopping by woods on a snowy night still dance in my head! Here is a little bit of lore about sleigh bells.

"We'll be there with bells on!"

Years ago, once snow had a good covering on the ground, people used horse drawn sleds and sleighs. The rural roads were not plowed and the runners of these vehicles left ruts to be followed in the deep snow cover. Many folks walked to their destinations and used the ruts as "the path of least resistance" to follow. Since these pedestrians were bundled up from head to toe against the cold, it was impossible for them to hear a sleigh coming until it was on top of them. The snow cushioned the hoof beats and made the runners almost silent. Drivers and riders in these open vehicles got the full brunt of the wind and cold in their faces, making visibility dicey at best; nonexistent in the dark. Consequently, the foot traveler was at great risk of mortal injury. Bells, hand wrought by local blacksmiths, were attached to the harnesses and leather trappings so the walkers heard them coming and could quickly "get out of their rut", before being run over.

Since each bell was slightly different in shape and size, it had its own sound. Putting a set together meant that each person's horse harness had its own distinctive sound and rhythm with the horses movements. People would know long before seeing them, who was coming down the lane. Inhabitants living in roadside homes could tell who was passing and in what direction they were going without looking. They also knew when there was a stranger in the vicinity or someone was using new harnesses. "Yah, I heard Jake going to town midafternoon today, he was in no hurry". And if company was coming, they would say "We'll be there with bells on" so you knew, even in the dark, when they were coming down the lane and could meet them at the door with a smile and hug.

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have two genuine Cow Bells from Switzerland. They do not have the
"jingle bells" sound. More like a deep, clunking sound. The bells are
about the size of a lg. apple. They hang on a strap of genuine cow hide--hair and all....

These bells were worn by cows so they could be located in the vast
grazing meadows and hills. Or--so I think.....
Judy--do you have a more interesting info on this? Where do you find all your stories?

Anyone want to harness up a cow and go a visiting? I'll loan you one.

Gita

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That was very interesting, coleup; thanks.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, you have cows??

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I was wondering about Gita's cows too!

Off-topic and not as interesting as coleup's story, but for the interested: This explains a bit about the bells and has videos of decorated Swiss cows descending from the mountains http://wn.com/switzerland_cows

We have a collection of Swiss cow bells in various sizes, and I wondered whether there was significance to the sizes.

According to this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowbell - "Different bells can have specific sounds to identify important characteristics of the animals, such as age, gender, and species." "The best milk-producing cow in the village leads the procession and wears the largest bell. The bells are made in various sizes, and are awarded to the cows according to their milk production that year."

what charming stories!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Do I have cows???? Not the last time I looked. But--they DO wander off...

Hmmm...let me see if I can catch some of them as they do get lost between
all the houses in this development. They all look the same..

Then--sometimes they get trapped in the fenced in yards and, then
people mistake them for fat deer. Especially the cows that have horns.
Drool!!! Kind of--steak on the hoof!

Hunting season is open--so--people may try to shoot some of them. AAARGH!
Miss one, and the bullet may go through somebody's bedroom window
and hit Grandma sitting on the loo!!!

I simply MUST get bigger bells for them! BIG bells! Loud bells!

HMMMMMM....There's a lot of Churches around here...
Maybe... in the dark of the night----if I grab my folding 10' Gorilla ladder.....
I may be able to snitch a church bell or two...Whacha think?
Just not sure if any on "MY" cows could lug that around their necks....???
Those things weigh a TON! However--MY cows can handle it!!!

It IS the Holiday Season--and maybe people may just think the church bells
ringing is an invitation to gather around them and celebrate the Season.

I can see it now! A bunch of nicely dressed Folks mired in cow poop singing
Christmas Carrols.... "OH, Come all Ye faithful"--or--"Away in a Manger" ( full of cows)....
and never mind the poop---after all, it is part of nature. Makes things grow.

Hey! lets all sing--"Oh Christmas Tree...OH Christmas Tree- how lovely are
your branches"....(get it? well fertilized and, Oh--so green!)

OK, Ending all this chat. Have to go herd my cows. I just "herd" the one with the big bell.
Seems she is roaming around the High School grounds now....the cops have been called...

All the kids thought there was a BIG party there....and came with all their "bells and whistles".
OH, GREAT! NOW--how am i going to tell which are MY cows?? ..

I am just going to sneak back home and let the law handle all this. Teee..Heee....
I know NOTHHHING! NOTHHHING!---If they ask--I will just tell them that
"They just came here Upon a Midnight Clear"......

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

To many, this season includes a performance of The Nutcracker. I will say that I have seen parts of it, but never actually watched a WHOLE performance until today. Jeff and I attended the performance at Maryland Hall in Annapolis because our grandy, Clara, was one of the princesses. We had to make sure we didn't blink because we would have missed her. It was exciting stuff for sure!!!

This building is the old Annapolis high school that my mother graduated from in 1937. Funny to imagine that she walked these same halls.

Thumbnail by Jan23
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I am not a huge fan of the Nutcracker, not that I don't like the story or ballet. I remember that as a child I thought it was just wonderful. There were several different versions that I just loved. I think that I am just sick of seeing it, It has been reworked a hundred different times into so many different stories, and in so many different ways. I go every year with my DGD Lily. Her school goes each year to see the Youth Ballet, this was my third year. I almost had to go twice once with Lily and once with Lucas but the other Grandparents came and took him. Thank Goodness.

Gita- were you a dairy farmer in a past life?

I have a small copper bell, bought at Southern States store- I guess it is goat size. I thought it was cute, and probably the closest I'll ever get to owning a goat.

Nice, Jan, lovely picture!! and they remodeled the auditorium there, neat place.

haha Holly!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

No, sally! But in my early years--all I wanted was to marry a farmer.
Must have had some influence on farm life from somewhere...

When I was 8 or 9, (already DP's)--we were put to live with a German farmer and his sister.
There were cows and ducks and chickens....AND--I learned how--and was
allowed to-- go and milk one of the older cows. You HAD TO sing to it--
or she did not stand still....I knew ONE song...that's it. The cow did not care.
i was also sent to wander the fields and find eggs the chickens laid in the haystacks.
I was in heaven!!!
Witnessing calves born just outside the kitchen (the barn was semi-connected
to the house)--made me a bit sick....They'd be just hanging out of mama--in all stages.

When we had to move on--the farmer's daughter wanted to keep me.
My mother said NO! We HAD TO all stay together....

g.

Farm life surely has its charms and challenges.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

HGTV is showing the White House Christmas Decorations tonight at 8. Very interesting to watch, all the behind the scenes details. It was on last night sorry I forgot to let you all know. It is being shown again tonight at 8 and there was at least one other time it will be re-shown.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thinking about making some cookies. Looking for my mom's recipes. Found a few. I remember baking for weeks before the big filltheplateday. We would have many tins of cookies in the closet under the stairs. Then mom would get them all out and lots of plates and we set up a line so we could gather cookies from each tin. Then we would wrap them and deliver them to all our neighbors. Great times!!

Every time I look at my little tree decorated with her red cardinal ornaments I think of her. Weepy here

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, I commiserate a bit on the weepy. When at my Dad's, a number of years ago, I threw out an awful thing. It turned out to be a wreath my Mom had made and they had hung every year, but not taken very good care of.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jan, I was touched by you the first time you mentioned on here how your Mom loved being able to watch the cardinals outside the window! Some of the bond between us as now I think of you and your Mom when I see cardinals especially at Christmas time I learn from you and your Mom each day how to keep family close though far away in miles and time.

One of the reasons I love Christmas time as part of our winter season is the unexpected ways lives intersect and paths and journeys meld and cross and the true humble gifts discoverable in every moment like a hearty breakfast with a grandson, aCharlie Brown tree or and old wreathe. Each year come full circle we are trimmed with the old and new, past, present, and future, into the trees we are becoming.

So, that's why I started this thread, to share amongst us those little gifts and moments,( many of them good weepy ones,) this year.

May you have many present moments in the days ahead and much cheer. Judy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Very, very sweet. Judy!

I guess I am missing out on a lot--as I do not have an extended family nearby.
Just my daughter and her DH--whom I have very little respect for.

I think I get my little doses of love and affection from the people at HD.
My adorable, sweet Store manager--who gives me a bear hug every time he sees me.
Must take what one can get....and when. Gita

Speaking of hugs---I just found this in a clipping and typed it into my Documents.

HUGGING:

Hugging is healthy;
It helps the body's immune system.
It keeps you healthier,
It cures depression;
It reduces stress.

It induces sleep,
It is invigorating,
It is rejuvenating.

It has NO unpleasant side effects.
Hugging is nothing less than a miracle drug.

Hugging is all natural.
It is organic and naturally sweet.
No pesticides, no preservatives, no artificial ingredients
It is 100% wholesome.

Hugging is practically perfect.
There are no movable parts, and no batteries to wear out;
No periodic check-ups.
It is low energy consumption, high energy yield .

It is inflation--proof, non fatting, and no monthly payments.

No insurance requirements, theft-proof, non- taxable, non-polluting.

And, are, of course---Fully Returnable.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, Judy, how sweet of you!!!!! Now I'm weepy again...LOL

Here's a close up of a part of the tree.

Thumbnail by Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Gita, hugs are the bestest!!!!!!!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I think I found one of those wandering bell less cows today, right out front of Maryland Department of Agriculture! I couldn't get a pic of a second one disguised as santa, complete with white beard.

Thumbnail by coleup
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

My, what a big nose it has!

haha love those AG cows. I saw them for St Patricks Day last year.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

For Thanksgiving one was a Pilgrim and the other was dressed in buckskin and feathered headdress. There were atleast 10 people out doing the decorating/dressing. Often wonder how cows were decided upon to grace the entrance to MD Dept of Ag? Are we a major dairy state? I suppose we used to be tobacco...

Here is a Christmas package tip ..fill empty spaces around a gift with little wrapped peppermints or candy canes instead of packing peanuts.

And here is a Christmas card Wayne and I received from one of our oldest customers

Thumbnail by coleup
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That is TOO funny!!!

My boys liked this time of year when they delivered papers.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I are having a pretty good day. I have been potting up all my Amaryllis gifts. There are even a few left over for me.
Ric has been outside working on the Christmas decorations and lights.
Playing Christmas music and watching Hallmark Christmas movies.

coleup- I guess tobacco plants had no personality, and giant chickens were just frightening...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric and Holly, I'm glad to hear that someone is just as late as I am in decorating for Christmas!

coleup, I like your idea of using peppermints as packing material.

That reminded me: some of the biodegradable packing peanuts are 99% cornstarch and 1% cellulose, as I found out a few months ago after my cat started eating them. I was curious as to why he thought they tasted good, how fattening they were (he's borderline obese) and how bad they were for him. My conclusion: I shouldn't let him eat them.

Made my ten dozen today- Oatmeal Scotchies. Ten dozen of any one kind of cookies pretty much makes me sick of them

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I would think so, But to me Oatmeal Scotchies sound just yummy.
Muddy, we are late. Pretty much all the shopping is finished. The Amaryllis are finished. Tree is up and lighted but no ornaments yet. Outside decorations are almost completely finished. Ric surprised me by hanging the icicle lights across the front of the house.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.