New for Spring

Wyoming, MN

Anybody have orders coming this Spring? I haven't ordered anything yet, but am always looking. It has been an early Winter here. The last few days have been in the 30's and that feels warm!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Gary, the only thing I have coming so far is some seeds of a white cross from Claudia @ runningfox on the LA. She crossed two of her nice white seedlings. Diamonds And Pearls x Shanti x President Ronald Regan x Fringy. I am going to get some perennials. I plan to work with my seeds this spring and expand my seedling bed. I had rust last year from plants that I got from the east coast. My plan as I have said before is to have plants that I get from the coast delivered in the fall so that any rust that show up will be long after most of the plants has bloomed and not stressed by any rust spores. That's MHO and approach of course going forward. One perennial that is at the top of my list is Cimicifuga Hillside Black Beauty. Top annual is Strobilantes. Mike

Wyoming, MN

Mike I have Hillside Black Beauty and four other cultivarsof cimicifuga. I find them extremely attractive even out of flower. They bloom very late for me,often not until Sept. I have friends who live about 25 miles away and theirs bloom consistently in July!

Of the dark forms I also have Brunette and Black Neglige.
Gary

I am planning on ordering the following in Januray from Northern Lights Daylilies:

BASS GIBSON
i WANNA PIRANTHA
NOTHING BUT RUFFLES
PARROT OF THE CARRIBBEAN
BELIVE IN MIRACLES
SPACECOAST FREAKY TIKI

I will get them in the Spring. Often, daylilies planted in the Spring will often bloom like they were moved. I want to use them in my hybridization program.

Photo of my seedlings planted May 31, 2014. Started my 2014 daylily seeds to be planted May 31, 2015

Thumbnail by
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Blomma, your seedlings are looking good.
Gary, you have a wide variety growing in your garden.
I had a Black Beauty a few years ago that survived the first winter and was looking great in the spring and then all of a sudden, it died. Boooooo! It's worth trying again.

Wyoming, MN

I don't have any trouble overwintering the cimicifugas here. They are native as far north as central Wisconsin. I have a few that have come up as seedlings,the seedlings have all been normal green so far. But still a very desirable plant in my garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.