CLOSED: December Birthday card swap

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Happy Birthday!!!

The DG birthday card club is a way to ensure a special day.

We welcome new members to the birthday thread. Our delightful obligation is to send a card to each birthday club member when his/her birthday occurs.

It's best to receive a pile of cards on or before your birthday so we do our best to send each card in a timely manner. This makes the card more meaningful to the recipient and to the sender. We don't have to send expensive or elaborate cards. We can make one or pick up one at nearly any store these days, or buy a whole box of cards at once and be prepared for the whole year!

It's a wonderful experience to receive cards in the mail.

Current Birthday Club Members:

rose318 / Patti -- March 18
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
Katgroves / Kathy -- October 25
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28

Thumbnail by GardenQuail

Hi, all.
While you're enjoying your slice of cake, here's a view of the sunset we saw on our trip to Columbia State Historic Park.
Michelle

Thumbnail by GardenQuail
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the December thread Michelle.

That is a beautiful sunset.

Hi, all.
Just after taking the picture, we stopped to get some soda. While we were there, someone came in and told the woman who had helped us that she just had to go out to see the sunset. After a little encouragement, she went out to see it. When she returned, she said she was really glad she had gone out to see it then. Ten minutes after she went out, it was gone! Glad we stopped to get a picture of it :)
Well, we've been getting more rain again. In addition to paperwhites coming up, my amaryllis belladonna have leaves up. Looks like no flowers this year, but perhaps they can store energy for next year. And I have volunteer cerinthe growing :) I collected seed from the plant that grew last winter, but hadn't planted any yet. Was a fun surprise to see these volunteers growing. I even moved a couple of seedlings around so they have better spacing. And, I've even discovered some calla lily sprouts. Good to see as I wasn't sure any of these were still alive. The rains that are coming through now seem to be soaking the soil nicely, so perhaps I'll be able to plant a few seeds when the weather gets a bit nicer again.
Michelle

Wow, nice to hear your plants are loving the rain! I do hope your not involved in the nasty mudslides?

No, no mud slides here.
Michelle

Glad to hear that. They look pretty messy, not to mention the damage they cause!

Hi, all.
More rain... The troughs of my self watering planters are getting all filled up :) Definitely thinking of winter sowing some seeds. Will be fun to see what grows.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Michelle

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Eeek! Where has the time gone?

I hope everyone is enjoying the season. Me, looking forward to the shortest day of the year so the days can start getting longer again!

A.

Hi, all.
Amanda, so very good to hear from you! Glad you had a chance to stop by :)
Here here to days getting longer! And with longer days comes warm sunny weather :)
No sun here today... Lots of rain... Much needed, I admit, and for that I'm glad we're getting it. But I'm not a big fan of taking the dog out in the pouring rain!
Funny story... My dog isn't crazy about the rain, either. Today, I got a ride with a friend. When we arrived at our destination, I went to get my dog out of the car. Usually, he can't wait to jump out. But today, with the rain coming down and the ground all wet, when I told him that he could jump out of the car, he just stood there and looked! :) Had to be a bit more encouraging before he agreed to come out of the car LOL
We've had flash flood warning around here, but we're fine. My husband was looking at a map to see where all the flash flood warnings were for, and said that we're at the very edge of the affected areas. So, thankfully, no flooding right here. But several other areas are affected. So, please remember those affected in the Bay Area in your prayers.
Well, stay warm and safe, and have a great day!
Michelle

Hi, all.
Thought I'd stop by to hi to everyone. Hope you've been enjoying your weekend!
In the process of finding our birthday thread, I came across the "Yummy Christmas Treat" thread. Found some recipes for some tasty-sounding treats!
Well, better get going for now. Got some baking and other cooking still to do today.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and have a great Monday!
Michelle

For anyone interested, there is a thread for sharing recipes and chat. Come and check it out.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1382064/

Hi, all.
It seems several of us all had the same idea...
LK and Kathy, thank you for the Christmas cards :) I have cards to send out, too. Hoping to get them out over the weekend.
Oh, and the Christmas treat thread has some yummy-sounding recipes. Hope to get something posted soon.
Have a great Friday!
Michelle

Hi, all.
Merry Christmas! I hope everyone is enjoying this special day of the year. I know some people may not have family nearby, so if this is you, I hope you will be able to spend some time with a special friend or doing an activity that you especially enjoy.
Stay safe, and drop us a note to say hi when you can.
Have a blessed day!
Michelle

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hi, all.
We've been having so much fun this Christmas that we're still celebrating :)
Have a great weekend!
Michelle

Hi, all.
Well, guess it's time to start getting other things done. We had our final Christmas celebration on Saturday with my husband's family. Had fun listening to all the nephews and nieces playing together and hearing about their new toys.
Seems that many of my Christmas presents were cooking related this year... kitchen gadgets, cookbooks, etc :) I'm looking forward to putting these to good use :)
But one gift that I wasn't expecting was a clock that announces each hour with a different bird song (12 different songs). At first we were worried that some songs weren't being played, but we have since figured out that there is a light sensor that controls the volume of the bird song being played. The less light there is, the quieter the bird song is. So, I've been having fun listening for the bird songs each hour to hear what they all sound like :)
Shall we have a 2015 Birthday Club? If people are still interested, I'll volunteer to start the thread for January.
Michelle

Sounds like you had a great Christmas.

I agree, if anyone wants to continue the Birthday card swap next year, post your yea or nay here please?

Hi, all.
LK, I sent Patti, Amanda, and Kathy dmail in case they lost track of the thread. We'll see what people want to do.
Michelle

Thanks so much!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I'm still interested have had my hands full with my Dad.

Happy New Year!
Hope you all have a wonderful 2015!
Kathy, glad you could stop by for a moment :)
I think I'll give the others a chance to drop by first before starting the new thread in case they've been busy with New Year's activities.
Michelle

Happy New Year everyone!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Happy New Year's day!

Thanks Michelle for coming to find me - yes I tend to lose the thread.

I am the first to admit I have fallen down on my responsibility to you all in the birthday card swap. It's a complicated conflagration of reasons I don't sit at this machine as much and am having challenges getting re-organized as I change careers from desk jockey to someone "out in the field." I even meant to send Christmas cards, but that didn't happen either.

I can't promise this year will be different, but if the thread continues I will strive to do better. You have made my birthday special and I love you for it.

xo
A.

Hi, all.
Looks like we still have some interest, so I'll have my husband help me get the January thread posted by the end of this weekend. Check back here for the link to the new thread.
Hope you all have a great Friday!
Michelle

Come join us in the new January 2015 thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1383893/

Closing this thread now, so if you haven't followed us over to the January 2015 thread, please follow the link above to join us. Thanks!
Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.