December 2014 and the Holiday Season Begins

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We came from here and will finish out the old year.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1379968/

Betty,
I wish I had pine needles. I hear they make good garden paths and are good strawberry mulch since they like acidy soil. Then I would have to plant strawberries, LOL!
I've heard of cornbread stuffing and never made it. Stove top in a box is just too easy....
We dodid the outdoor lights on a nice warm day. Now it's COLD out there!

Hey Will!
Are you re-doing both chairs? I love chairs, LOL!

I am almost done decorating inside. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit one more box of ornaments on the tree, but they are our special ones so I have to, LOL!

DH ordered a 2015 Ford truck today but we won't get it till about February. We haven't had a new truck for 7 years. DD gets this one, so we have no trade in.

Boy is it cloudy windy and cold! That mostly sunny went to none at all.

Have a great day!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2014 12:35 PM

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Sally, I don't remember you ever starting a monthly thread!
My only DG Facebook friend.

Yeah, I'm re-doing both chairs but actually there is 3 chairs.
The third one is probably the oldest. I need to start looking closer when I buy them though. I believe it has been repaired at one time with a spindle on the back of it that doesn't match the others. You can't really tell until you look closely and work on it, which I'm now doing. It has some kind of weird little padded seat in the middle, that's the seat in the 2nd pic, I took it out for now. They musta been smaller people then with smaller derrieres or something. Anyway, I've taken that padded seat off for now so I can clean up the chair properly and stuff. I'm a noob on wooden chairs so if anybody has any info. please share. Also, in that earlier pic right up there on that lighter colored chair that's the seat out of it on the left of the pic. I take the chairs apart a little to work on them usually (it has a seat..lol). That's the 3rd chair in pics 1 thru 4. The last pic is that lighter colored chair after some stain and polyurethane, all done. pic #5

Wow, a 2015 Ford truck! I still have yet to get a brand new car or truck. I am envious, not jealous, everybody should have the reliability and niceness of a new vehicle.

Boy, it has been getting cold! Right now it is around 28 degrees. I know it gets colder in other places but below freezing is pretty steenking cold!

I've had the flu for 2 days now. I'm not just saying that either..lol The night before last I had a hair dryer on my shirt it was so sweaty. Last nite, I slept without a shirt because I sweated too much and I didn't feel like finding another shirt so I lay in bed with sweaty, cold bed linens with no shirt on..lol Oddly enuff, I even got a flu shot about 3 weeks ago because I hate getting the flu. But, in my opinion here's what happened in that event! I flinched whilst getting the shot because I also hate needles and the needle immediately came back out and shot the vaccine all over my arm. She was wiping something up with a tissue. They should know a percentage of shot customers are going to flinch and they should know to hold the needle and shoulder together all the time during the shot. Anyway, it's not a terrible flu and I should be fine in a few days. I know flu shots don't cover all strains of the flu, the above was only my opinion..lol

Oh, I don't know if happ saw where I saw where you should have at least 2 Nanking Cherry plants to get fruit (I only had one plant to give her). Scroll down to my post on Oct. 27th that also has the link where I saw it. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1377831/

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm so excited that BP started the December thread! I like your caption.

BP, I grew up eating cornbread stuffing because my parents are from rural Tennessee, so I was raised in the north on southern comfort foods. I always use my pine needles as mulch on flower beds and paths. The dogs have a path that goes around the yard that I keep mulched with pine needles.

Will, now you know what women go thru at night with hot flashes! I hope you feel better soon. I admire your determination in restoring those old chairs. Nicole Curtis would be proud of you!

I love December because it's my birthday month. I've got to go now and pick up my dh's prescriptions.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I watched a funny movie with my gr-d last night called "Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever". Badcat, is your avatar Grumpy Cat? She's so cute.

Ok, I'm really going now. lol

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I started watching that then watched a different Christmas movie instead. I'll have to catch a rerun. lol. I really want to see it. I have an aunt who's expressions and attitude tends to match his. Even my mom had to agree when I said something recently. lol

Bp, that's cool that you guys are getting a new Ford truck!! I wish I was but I'll stay mostly happy with my little scooter. lol

Oh Betty, I've heard about hot flashes, they DON'T sound pleasant! Here is that chair tonite. I never figured out what went on with the spindles but see how the 2 on the left are different, especially the last one? It's a different color (and probably wood) and it's not lathed the same as the others. And the one next to it has some kind of crazy flat spots on it. Maybe that was their craftsmanship then.

Nicole Curtis would have me beat easy! She is really determined and she buys entirely whole historic homes. I guess you have to start somewhere but my $2 chairs and birdhouses are no match for what she does in rehabbing!

A while ago, I went next door to check the temperature in there (and the paints/stains). I am amazed by that detached garage. It was 40 degrees in there (and 25° outside). I felt around the door and even the garage door and NO cold air was even blowing in. I never knew a detached garage could hold warmth like that.

I got a factoid of sorts, anybody want to hear a factoid?! Here it is anyway! Did you know xmas isn't irreligious?
I always plan to do the word Christmas but the letter "x" is a Greek abbreviation for Christ. - http://www.holidayfunfacts.com/Holidays/Christmas.aspx (scroll about halfway down for that). Anyway, I first saw that as a Christmas fact thing on Music Choice (Xfinity's Christmas music).

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here's a fun video for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5vGm5HeA2s

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Oh Pepper, I saw you toward the end with a co-worker (I guess) giving the bears a piggyback ride, correct? That was well put together and so cute. Thanks!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning all.... thanks for the new thread Billy. I have been bad about getting on here latley. Been bjsy with the Christmas stuff. Looking forward to it very much.
Off today am going to spend the night with my granddaughter!

Yeah, neat video there pepper, how cool, your at 3:07 of it. Who's idea was that the store's or an employee's? That's quite a popular bear.
Well, my flu is about all done. That was some pretty mild flu.
It's 36 degrees here, not terrible I suppose and it's clear with no snow or rain or any bad weather at least for now.

It was done by a manager somewhere from what I understand. Not from my store. We've been passing the video on to everyone. lol. Had a lot of fun with the bears. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Laughing, I usually don't on this thread, but I was the last one to post and I knew Betty would appreciate having it done, so I did :o)
I know, you can get some beat up chairs. Are these to re-sell or for the house? No advice from me, but I do love old chairs.
Oh, I have so been there in the clammy, night sweaty bed. ICK!! I never miss a flu shot now. You have my sympathy. I hope you get over it fast!
BTW. It takes two weeks for a flu shot to start working after you get it. It's why I don't wait.
Love the material for the padded chair, and the scrolling on top.

Thanks Betty :o)
I hear all the time how good corn bread stuffing is.
ROTFL! Yep, hot flashes are just like that!
Happy Birthday Month to YOU!!

Pepper,
It's DH's one pleasure, to have a new truck and he poured over the options and colors till he got it just right.

Will,
Cool fact. I've decided to spell Christmas out as a sign of respect to Christ :o)
Someone had an old spindle laying around.

Pepper,
The video went in my Odds and Ends video folder. That was adorable and so were you, piggy backing him!!

You're welcome Ronna,
Enjoy that little girl! She will grow so fast!

Will,
You're better!

I cooked my turkey carcass and scraps last week and ended up with 5 quarts of broth. So, out came the canner and I canned it, leaving some to re-heat turkey chunks in. It was good broth!

And, I got the last box of ornaments on the tree too. Don't ask me how, but there were open spots.

My leftovers concoction was turkey pieces, mashed potatoes and gravy and the rest of the green bean casserole. It was good!

We had the twins all day Friday. That was a suprise. We took them home and brought the boys back to spend the night. The boys were planned, LOL!
Today we took them to Toys''R''us, and later shopped for clothes. They got to take the school clothes home instead of opening them on Christmas. We took them home and stayed out there for a while.

The twins wanted to be chased and when I was taking a break from that, The youngest boy said "get me Grandma. Hurry!" What could I do? He cracks me up!

I've got the other gifts wrapped and now just have the boy's new ones to do. Yep, I'm on top of it this year :o)

Have a beautiful night!

I got started wrapping yesterday. Got about half of what I have so far done. Gotta buy a couple more things and finish wrapping hopefully tomorrow. We have my nephew tomorrow but my dad is taking him to the barn so he can spend time with him. He hates not having him every weekend now! lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone. As usual you all have been busy!

Will I am sure you have heard by now why you have the flu....the flu shot is not working for this strain of the flu that is going around. ;( Hope you are feeling better.

I have been making things for Christmas, shopping, and decorating. Love the holidays but I better get busy I have lots of things to make for friends and American girl doll clothes to finish. I have really enjoyed making them as cheap as possible...lol They are so stupid expensive it is ridiculous.

Will, you will appreciate this. I got a jewelry box from a thrift store and I am going to remake it into a little girls jewelry box. Gonna repaint it white and paint probably flowers or something on it. The ones at the stores are cheap plastic and cost way too much for plastic. My sister and I have a bunch of old costume jewelry and we are going to make it into kids jewelry. That will be fun.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The flu shot is for influenza, a respiratory aliment, not the common stomach flu which most people get. I have never had a flu shot.

Getting right along in this winter mode. I've been planning my garden & ordering seeds. To easy to order off the internet, so spending to much money, LOL.

Yesterday I installed to fireplace mantel I designed & built. People were very happy. It has an electric insert.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper,
If this is the ''wild child'' nephew, good for your Dad giving him something to do :o) And vice versa, LOL!

Happ,
Our shots covered 4 strains this year. So I hope I'm good and covered.
My neighbor started all her grandchildren on The American Dolls. I used to get their catalog. Sheesh! My Mom made all our baby doll clothes.
I can't wait to see your jewelry box! I have an old pink one that just opens and has compartments on the bottom. Nothing fancy.

~ to Bernie!
Good to see you! I have a couple seed catalogs I need to go thru. I need ALL new seed for the garden this year. I'm so excited!!
That fireplace is BEAUTIFUL!

Rain and freezing rain headed our way. I knew the ring around the moon the last few nights would bring something. Last week it dried up.

Have a beautiful Sunday!

It's raining here. But not enough to clean my truck. Mother Nature needs to be a really nice car wash for me. Save me some change!! lol

Bernie, that looks great!!

Thanks bp! Yes, I am better. No thanks to the flu shot probably, I want a refund! lol - http://www.kansascity.com/living/health-fitness/article4272862.html They say it's defective!
I really don't know if anybody WANTS the chairs! I don't think I'm buying anymore chairs unless it's a set of 4 and they don't need much work and they aren't broken.

Beautiful fireplace CG! Maybe I can come visit you in MN this Summer. MN is like Florida I would love to visit it too. Mn would be so cool,10,000 lakes! I don't smoke and I drink very little so I wouldn't burn your shop down, and that market sounds like a real hoot (and work of course)!

Thanks happ, yeah, I heard that, of course, AFTER I get a flu shot and after I get the flu!
You'll have to get photos of that jewelry box.

The Kansas City Chiefs are self-destructing. I can't believe they got beat by the Arizona Cardinals. The only speck of brightness is the last place Oakland Raiders beat an over-rated San Francisco 49ers.

It sure is nice to see the rain and not freezing of course. I bet my plants outside sure wanted the water, it should help them fend off the cold that's coming.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper,
I'm hoping the bit of rain we got washed off our Christmas lights, LOL!

Will,
Next time warn them that you flinch. A full week of the flu is VERY miserable. A little poke is not much compared to how sick you feel with the real deal. Your night sweat was the fever breaking, altho they say you shouldn't try to ''induce it,'' like I've done before by really bundling up.
Yeah, you might get a bit of money for the chairs on cosignment. Then they wouldn't take up room in your house. You might want to keep one or two of them too.

Monday, I've got dishes and a bit of laundry left to put away. Then dust what isn't covered by ornaments and sweep. Blah, LOL!

Have a better day!

Oh, I told the nurse beforehand that I might faint, which should've let her know that I could flinch.

Yeah, I've seen consignment around here but they take 50%, not sure if that's worth it. - http://kcfleamart.com/furniture/used/
Will

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all, not much to say. Just catching up on reading all the new posts.

I did harvest some broccoli yesterday. : )

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Im lurking! lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Seriously now, did the shot hurt that much?
You're kidding! That's highway robbery! Better to put it in a yard sale then... Or keep it.

Betty,
I did broccoli this year but the heads were so small. If I don't find anything as big as the grocery store sells, I won't have enough to put in the freezer :o(
It tasted really good tho. All four grandkids love it!

~ to Badcat!

Except for cleaning house, wrapping gifs and decorating, not much is new.

It's a chilly morning and I'm glad to stay in. I think I'll vacuum today :o)

I got beef short ribs out to thaw yesterday and will be BBQing them for dinner.

Have a beautiful day!

Hehe, no, it don't really hurt much but it's a psychological thing. I first fainted in health class in the 10th grade, when a school nurse pricked some kid's finger about 20 feet away. I found myself looking up at the ceiling with my feet on schoolbooks and all my classmates staring down in my face..lol

Yeah, this area must really be full of suckers. That particular flea market has no booth vacancies, (it is BIG, it's a former Best Buy). The furniture consignment area is so full you can't hardly push your cart thru it. I saw a single board of wood for sale there for $25 and I believe it sold. I tell you, if you have barnwood or old windows, put them up for sale, people pay for that stuff. Even on Craigslist there's people looking for your old stuff. Yesterday, I sold a neighbor's broadcast spreader that you pull behind a tractor, for $65.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2014 10:12 AM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I've fainted a few times myself. Mostly, during my childhood. After working for 11 years at the Red Cross in Blood Services and giving blood 14 times, I'm much stronger now. My maternal grandmother, my mom, my sister Donna, and I are all fainters. Coincidentally, we're all lefties too.

BP, I harvested the broccoli heads in the late Spring. I've been harvesting side shoots since.

I've been exploring different forums which I haven't done in while due to laziness.

BC, I ran across some of your earlier posts in another forum. I don't even remember which one. I learned that you're originally from Michigan? Does gl know that? I remember now -- it was the homesteading forum. I enjoyed reading your story. : )

HP, I found you on the Garden Shed forum. Nice pics of your plants on racks.

CG, nice fireplace mantel. Perfect for hanging stockings this time of year!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
I think the older we get the more we don't feel the pain of a shot. Plus, the needles are hair thin compared to the needles our grandparents endured. Someday, you'll be able to take a shot without flinching :o)
Was the broadcaster given to you or you sold it for him? If given, you could start going door to door with your cart hiring yourself out to pick up unwanted items :o)

Betty,
Funny, DD is a leftie and hospital smells make her woozy. She can handle a shot tho, if she has to....
Were your main broccoli heads large? Mine were ALL the size of side shoots. I know there is one that is supposed to have large heads but can't remember the name. I think I couldn't find it in the catalogs I was ordering from.

Lazy day yesterday and a bit busier today. I'm loving it after the deep house cleaning I did just to put up decorations :o)

Have a lovely day!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Taking baby bunnies to the kids classes this morning then its back to finishing up gift baskets for family. Sept-Dec is the busiest time of year here! Looking forward to Jan 1! lol and starting seeds!!! :)

BP- Im interested in the brocc too! Iv never had any big heads on mine lol its like wrapping an m&m in a roll of duct tape! Lot of work for a little reward.

Will- Im not a fan of needles either! I get clammy and feel sick

GB- Uh oh lol. I think she does, my dad lives in Plainwell. She probably knows my Moms side of the family. lol small world

BP you have just been everywhere on DG...lol

I have been busy doing Christmas gifts. The American Doll is just stupid expensive and folks who pay that I have to wonder about.

Beautiful fireplace mantel! wowzer. I need to get out but talking about a little freezing rain. I need it to warm up I have thingss to do...

Here are a few of my creations for the family. I have had so much fun tie dying. Not nearly as messy as I thought it would be.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Here is my answer to overpriced doll clothes. I made all of these except for the pj's from 2nd hand clothes. The poka dots are socks I made from an old pair of socks I didn't wear. Course none of them are done yet, but very close. Probably don't have 5.00 in all of the clothes. Course my time is not included in that but since I am retired...lol

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Happ I love the clothes especially the tie dye. Doll clothes are so sweet. I bet they took a long time to make. So small and tedious.

Yeah, fainting stinks. I haven't passed out from a shot since 2008. I remember one time in 2006 I passed out during a kidney stone test or something at a hospital. But, I didn't pass out until the 6th time that they tried to find a vein successfully. THEN they proceeded to treat me like I had something and they didn't want to touch me after that. I sat there after I woke up with blood running all over my sleeve because they were all scared or something. Like that was the first time somebody had ever fainted from needles before. THEN they thought they needed to check my heart. Well, the joke was on them because they ended up not getting paid..lol I'm right-handed, I don't think passing out discriminates there!

Yeah, that happ likes the silver carts, I have one of the big silver carts myself, it's like the second biggest thing I own next to my car! - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1374006/ Scroll down to Sept. 8th and you'll see hers. It looks like a little bit less foliage now there, Joyce! - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9719721 Sorry Joyce, I just have a fairly good memory and I remember you had showed us your cart setup. I need more silver carts though, I'd love at least one more.

Hi bp, oh I sold the cart for him. The guy next-door is giving me half of the sale he is so glad to get rid of it. It's not the kind of cart you can haul stuff in though, it has a little spinning thing to spread seeds or whatever. My other cart? It looks like crap, it's all rusted out and tore up. That did give me a thought though, I oughta ask the neighbors and friends if I can sell their stuff, I am a good seller. I'd make sure to ask them first though, I wouldn't want to sell their car unintentionally for $50! lol I already sold a bed-liner for the neighbor next-door that was left there from the previous resident. He was ecstatic to get rid of that, he gave me ALL the money from that one.

Yeah, nice clothes creations, happ. Your family will love them, I know from photos that I was quite a colorful little kid with all my colorful clothes.

Bad, your bunnies sure sound like fun. We have cats to keep us company. My friend here loves the cats too, even the stray ones. Today, 3 heated cat houses for outdoor cats were shipped here via ups, the cats will LOVE them, especially the outdoors ones!

Oh, I love broccoli, I like dipping it in ranch sauce.

My carts r actually those chrome shelves costco and Sam sells. I bought pipe to fl the upper part. They work great. Now if I could teach my cat to water the plants it would be perfect..

The cat could water the plants but you wouldn't like the outcome.... lol

Oh Pepper, you are bad, not that way...rofl.....

Boy is this gloomy weather going to end.....I need some sunshine!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Pepper pretty funny. I once had a floor plant and a cat too. Well you all know the outcome. Poor plant.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Badcat,
ROTFL over the broccoli! We also grow ours in hoops covered with the see-thru cloth to keep the cabbage moths off. I did see in one of my catalogs a year or so ago that one broccoli was to have large heads. I'll let you know the name if I find it again.

Happ,
Laughing, I'm making an effort to keep up! I'm down to 4 threads. The most important ones I've been on since the beginning.
You are a natural at tie dying and I adore it!
Wow, those are fabulous doll clothes!

Will,
Laughing, you do have a time with shots!
Yeah! You're doing good just getting half the money! Not a bad thing. A lot of people don't like to deal with computer sites. You just have to find them. Start talking to friends in a round about way and maybe you'll get more takers.
Hugs for your friend. We use a pet heating pad for our outdoor cat. It is worth it to a cat.

Pepper,
Rolling on the floor laughing AND LAUGHING!!!! That was so simply funny. I needed a good laugh to start my day!
And my one and only aloe plant is way up on the top of the Murphy bed..... It's a wonder I ever got it started after two maulings. Cats are determined alright!

DH ran uptown to Casey's sat 6:00 am to get another propane tank. (That way he misses all the gossipy old MEN that stand up there and drink coffee every morning, LOL!) We thawed out onion sriracha brats and will grill them out today. I already had my 15 bean soup, cajun style, cooking on the stove for tomorrow. It has an 15 minutes left.

DD called. Oldest Grandson wanted to know if they were spending the night tonight, before he got on the bus. Sadly, he'll have to wait till next week.

Gasp! DH used his credit card on Amazon! He ordered a Coleman air bed. It's not called an air mattress anymore. This one is full size when zipped side by side or can be flipped on top of itself for a single. Or, can be zipped apart to make two singles. We pumped them up yesterday after it came, and we like it!

I need to finish wrapping, vacuum and start a menu and supplies for Christmas. I'm almost there :o)

Have a beautiful day!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I plant Gypsy broccoli. Always get a nice big head. Then side shoots the rest of the summer. Even harvested some after a couple of frosts.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Sun was supposed to shine tomorrow but I think it will be Wed at earliest now. We have 2 full days of rain coming starting Mon and they mentioned today that California is getting ready to get hit by another system here pretty soon and there is another one behind it.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Bernie, those are nice heads. I also love cauliflower. I believe that I grew Coronado Crown broccoli this year. I'll have to remember that Gypsy is another good variety.

I cooked and prepared the leaves from our broccoli until it formed the heads. They're pretty good.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Im going to look for those! Thanks CG & GB. :)

lol BP! Do mine first!!!! Im supposed to cook Christmas Dinner on tues and havent even finished shopping or got groceries! Yeah...you know what im doing today! haha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.