Happy Thanksgiving

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

With the snow, rain, traveling, cooking, eating, visiting etc., not much has been happening on DG the past several days. As folks return, I just want to wish that everyone had a great Thanksgiving with family and friends. Hope you all stayed safe and enjoyed good food and fellowship.

Pat and I attended dinner at my BIL's brother's home in Alexandria, VA. About 20 people were in attendance, with the younger generation all home from college. Food was excessive, with two turkeys and a big spread of appetizers and main dishes. Dessert, for those with room remaining, included thirteen pies, cookies, ice cream and other sundry sweets. Had a good visit with many of those in attendance and returned home safe, sober, and surprisingly comfortable due to atypical restraint. Welcome back to MAF. Share your holiday if you wish.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Mike and I headed down to my sister's house in Leesburg - just a short 15 minute drive. My sister had all the food for the feast taken care of, all I had to do was arrive early and keep her company while she got everything in the oven. I stopped by the grocery store on the way to pick up easy appetizers - a fruit tray, cheese and crackers, and crab dip. I couldn't believe how crazy mobbed the store was. I hate crowds!!! It was nice and relaxing once I got to my sister's house with just the immediate family - Mike and I, my parents, my sister Julie with her husband Tom and teenagers Ryan and Erica, and my other sister Tina with her husband Glenn.

We had a little excitement just as we were sitting down to eat. A neighbor called Mike and said that Riley was out wandering around on the road behind our house. Riley seems to choose daily whether he wants to be in or out while we are gone. As far as we know he has never left the immediate vicinity around the house - he usually heads over to a big dog kennel with a cozy dog house out by the pole barn or curls up under the front porch. Lowell and Suzanne are on vacation, and I panicked thinking that something bad might happen to the little guy while on my watch. He is really skittish and won't come to anyone but Suzanne or I, so the neighbor couldn't get a hold of him. Riley is completely black, and it was dark. I had visions of him getting run over. I jumped in my car and went to go look for him. It took a while of walking up and down that back road calling and calling him before he came out from wherever he was hiding. I was so relieved, and so was poor Riley. I figured something must have really spooked him - maybe hunter's gunshots too close to the house. Anyway, I had my reheated Thanksgiving dinner an 1 1/2 later after the rest of the family had finished up desert. It was still good and for once I didn't overeat LOL...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh my Greenthumb, that's almost one pie apiece!

Oh, no apsenhill, thank heavens you were both OK.

Just immediate family here. And the standard issue American Thanksgiving dinner, which everybody really enjoyed. Ended with my pumpkin pie, only one slice survived the evening.

We have so much to be thankful for, we are NOT going shopping today to buy more! We took a hike with the dog in the woods. I checked on 'my' Bigleaf Magnolia, and wouldn't you know, a seedling of it snuck into a plastic bag in the van and came home with us...oops

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

We had Thanksgiving Light. My youngest daughter, her boyfriend and I had a vegetarian "turkey" roll, my husband had a Rock Cornish Game Hen, and we all ate some traditional side dishes. It was low-key but nice, and I was able to get in some garden time beforehand!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Aspenhill, what an adventure!

We had a smaller-than-usual gathering. Only 16 people, lots of good food.

GT, 13 pies for 20 people?! We thought 4 pies for 16 was too much!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG - Actually, I forgot 3 pies that were on another table! Apparently everyone (but us) brought a pie or two. We brought a cheesecake, which essentially makes yet another pie! Believe it or not, I only had small samples of two pies.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a feeling those pies won't last too long with a bunch of college kids in town!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

After 40 last Sunday, Thursday was going to be just us and the son around the corner with his family. Then a friend from church called that morning and wondered if we were going to be alone, so I invited them to come over also. So we combined our dinners in to one. 11 of us. Turkey, ham, sweet and mashed taters, veggies, pineapple stuffing, regular stuffing, green beans, broccoli. Two kinds of apple pie. I just had more pineapple stuffing for my dessert.

I love getting together with family.

Now, that's a feast, GT!

Jan, pineapple stuffing? That sounds interesting!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG, I was thinking the same thing. Jan, can you share the recipe for pineapple stuffing? I've never heard of it before.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Will do, if I can find it. May need to call my DIL. It's like a bread pudding. I'll get back to you.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Reminder on the pineapple stuffing Jan and a belated Happy Thanks Giving to all.

As you know I was out of the loop for quite a while waiting on telephone line repair so I could dial up and delivering over 10 pounds of "newspaper" to almost 800 customers from Wed thru Sun so those days are pretty much of a blurrrrrr between it being 'time to make the doughnuts again'.

Wayne and I were awake enough to travel over to a long time friend's house on a big ole waterfront farm on the Eastern Shore. Very restorative , peaceful and comfortable to just be oneself amongst others doin the same...ahhh and time slowed and suspended enough to enjoy and savour the gifts and bounty all around and the wonderfulness of each person and their uniquiness. All is right in the world kind of day.

One of the surprises of the day was the turkey whom I first met as it was resting on the kitchen counter when we arrived. It looked strange to me, a lot longer than broad. Definitely not a Butterball. My friend's cousin had brought it down from New Jersey, so I asked her about it.

Not only was it a hormone antibiotic GMO all natural free range fresh turkey but a Heritage breed as well: Red Bourbon or alternatively Bourbon Red. And, to boot, this cousin works at the Princeton NJ farm that raises them! Know Your Farmer!! Fit in well with the almost totally locally sourced, home grown and home made other menu items. Even the wine was from the Eastern Shore.

Heritage Red Bourbon turkey.......but how did it taste? (lol SSG I thought of you describing the tastes at our Garlic tasting at Sallyg's as I hardly have the words to describe this bird!)
Well, it is the best turkey I have ever tasted! Very moist, very tender, and the flavor was from the bird itself, not anything that was done to it or added. No special prep, just roasting. I believe it would be very difficult to mess up this turkey it seems so fool proof. Like having a real tomato again, I have had turkey as I remember it from childhood.

Red Bourbon turkey has won several blind taste tests and I can see why.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol, seems I am having turkey encounters this Fall, from seeing wild ones while doing my paper route to the best tasting turkey ever....
I believe along with Native Americans and other 'medicine' people around the world, that when a creature begins to appear repeatedly in one's life that it means something and is a message. So, here is an excerpt from 'Medicine Cards' by Jamie Sands on Turkey:

"Turkey is actually thought to be the Give-Away Eagle or South Eagle of many native peoples. The philosophy of give- away was practiced by many tribes. Simply stated, it is the deep and abiding recognition of the sacrifices of both self and others. People in modern-day society, who have many times more than they need, should study noble turkey who sacrifices itself so that we may live. In Turkey's death we have our life. Honor Turkey. Spectators unfamiliar with the cultural phenomenon of the pot latch or give-away ceremony are often mystified by it. A tribal member may gladly give away all he or she owns, and do without in order to help the People. In present-day urban life, we are taught to acquire and get ahead. The person with the most toys wins the game. In some cultures, no one can win the game unless the whole of the People's needs are met. A person who claims more than his or he share is looked upon as selfish or crazy or both. The poor, the aged, and the feeble have honor. The person who gives away the most and carries the burdens of the People is one of the most respected. Turkey was the medicine of many saints and mystics. Celebrate if you have Turkey medicine. Your virtues are many. You have transcended self. You act and react on the behalf of others. You aspire to help those who need help. This is not out of some sense of self-righteous moralism or religious guilt. Help and sustenance is given by Turkey out of the realization that all life is sacred. It is knowing that the Great Spirit resides within all people. It is an acknowledgement that what you do for others you do for yourself. Turkey medicine rests in true ego, in enlightenment. Doing unto others and feeding the people is the message of all true spiritual systems. You are being given a gift. This gift could be spiritual, material, or even intellectual. The gift may be great or small, but it is never insignificant. Congratulations. You may have just won the lottery. Or the gift may be a beautiful sunset, or the smell of a fragrant flower. On the other hand, you may feel the "spirit of giving" growing within you, and wanting you to share with others."

May turkey medicine abound in all we do in the busy days ahead.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We raised White Holland turkeys one year when the children were young. They are a heritage breed. They were not free range but fed a diet of wild game feed as I was recommended. The feed was an all natural organic seed mix. The birds were well developed and full bodied, yet had little fat. They were the best tasting I think I've ever had. A friend that I co-op them with said the same.
When we raised meat animals, we usually did a co-op with some friends. We did all the care and feeding, with all the feed cost shared by the others, depending on how much care the animals required. Much of the butchering and processing we did ourselves. We became rather spoiled with the quality of our product, so much so, I still compare what I buy to what we raised. I kept pretty good accounting of cost and usually was very pleased with our price verses the then market price. The children did know where their food came from, and didn't seem put off by it.

We now get our turkey from a local turkey farm and can't go back to supermarket turkeys. There's such a huge difference in flavor and texture.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

OK. Pineapple stuffing

Grease dish 350. Degrees

3 eggs WELL beaten
1 1/2 c sugar. Beat well together.
20 oz. Can crushed pineapple. With the juice
3 cups bread cubes. Mix all together. Put in dish
1/3 c butter cut up and dropped on top

350. For 45-60 minutes.

Like a bread pudding I guess. It's a nice complement to ham.

Enjoy!

Good stuff. I think that's what my step mom calls baked pineapple.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Could be. My son loved it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think that's something my GM used to make and I'm pretty sure that someone in Holly's family makes it for the holiday buffet. I've never been a huge fan of pineapple. If I do eat it, it's fresh. I've probably cut hundreds of them for Holly and her dad, they both love it.
JR was here on a sleepover recently and part of his breakfast was fresh pineapple and Greek yogurt. He's still interested in all things kitchen, so I taught him how to cut one. He thought it was cool,especially since his Mama allows him to use a knife now. You can't deny a boy who's earned his Boy Scouts Official Whittling Chip wallet card. LOL

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That stuffing recipe reminded me of a dessert we had quite often when I was a child. I still make it sometimes because people love it and it couldn't be easier.

It's appropriately called Dumpcake:
You dump either a drained can of pineapple or a can of pie filling in a 9x13 pan and spread it to cover the bottom, cover the filling with a box of yellow or white cake mix, slice enough margarine to cover the cake mix, top with nuts if desired, then bake until browned on top.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Good for JR. Nothing like a man who has knife skills!!!!

Fresh pineapple is THE bestest thing!!

I remember dump cakes. YUMMO

My dessert for tonight is lady finger cream cake without the lady fingers. So it's like a fluffy pudding(cream cheese with whipped cream and some crushed pineapple then topped with cherry pie filling). I sense a pineapple theme going on here.

Have some black-eyed peas and a ham bone simmering on the stove. Gonna make some cornbread and Voila....dinner.

Now I'm craving fresh pineapple! :)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol, I'm craving being back on Maui eating fresh from the field pineapple. Fresh squeezed juice is great for marinating ribs pre grilling and can make some wonderful sauces . Works with fish, too.

Go JR and Ric. Did you save the top and show him how to grow it?

Cue another chorus of Bali Ha'ai!
(South Pacific, beaches, islands, can you see where I'm coming from?...)

I read or saw something about pineapple from a local over on the islands, saying, that the ones we get mainland are never the really good ripe ones they have. Pineapple does not ripen after being cut from the plant.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Supposedly, the pineapples we see in the store locally do not come from Hawaii, but rather Costa Rica or other nearby locations. Check the sticker, it will tell the country of origin.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I noticed that the pineapple we ate in Mexico was different than we get at home. It had a slightly different taste and was a paler yellow color. It was really good but then so is the pineapple I eat at home.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Ditto, Holly, to the pineapple we had in the Ivory Coast. Pale yellow and you could even eat the core it was so tender. DDDDEEEELLLIIISSSHHHHH!!!!!

I'm up for a field trip to taste test pineapples globally. Who's with me?? Hehehe

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I will, I will!!!! I thought the pineapple we had in Mexico looked as though it included the core but couldn't tell. Interesting. When we were in Cancun, Mexico I visited a couple of plant nurserys, all they need down there is a shady spot and compost. They line up pots, add compost, tamp, stick a cutting in it, and move on. Next step instant jungle. LOL

well, Ric, you have experience with Florida gardening- the weeds and invasives get an equal boost from the warmth and rain LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think I need more Sun and beach time. I'd be very happy to head out is search of pineapple.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Bring me back some Maui Gold, or I could meet you there!
Jan, Produce Pete agrees with you on the superior pineapple being grown in Ivory Coast
http://www.producepete.com/shows/pineapple.html

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Maui Gold? Is that a type of pineapple or a hybrid between Maui Wowie and Acapulco Gold?

This message was edited Dec 6, 2014 12:28 PM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Maui Gold is a hybrid pineapple. Here is a little history of the intensive research and breeding program which developed it.

http://www.pineapplemaui.com/history.php

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Judy, my query was tongue in cheek. ;-)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol David, but that was my first thought, too when I googled "best tasting pineapple in the world and page one results were full of Maui Gold references!

Looking in to the future, I wonder whether 'Maui Wowie' or
'Acapulco Gold' will become Proven Winners selections in a Garden Center near us?--
It is a lovely plant!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Perhaps in DC soon. I should go visit my nephew, who is a student at Univ. of Colorado in Boulder, and see if High Country Gardens has an outlet there.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

sure is changing the face of agriculture and bringing many who left the farm/land back in to growing ...bet there are lots of new names now, too.

If I remember correctly cannabis is one of the few plants on the planet that can adapt to higher levels of ultra violet light. It has always made my list of plants good to grow on any homestead, whereas pineapple has not.

ohhhh, NOW I get it........................................

LOL gt High Country Gardens.................

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Colorado gives High Country Gardens a whole new dimension. David's jesting query had already occurred to me also. LOL True plant officanadios, or gardeners with the munchies. ROTFL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Missed the whole Thanksgiving discussion here.

Just read the whole post.....no need to comment on my TH-G. dinner...
it is now passe!

I love pineapple too---but seldom buy it. It is a bit too acid to eat a lot
of it fresh.

When we were in Hawaii--(early 80's) we learned that a pineapple plant only produces
two pineapples on it a season.
The 1st--is the biggest and those are sold as fresh.
The 2nd is smaller--and those re used in canning and juices.

What fruit really blew me away in Hawaii was fresh Guava! And--the Guava jelly.
WOW!!
G.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.