Your next plant adventure will be...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

what? Tell me!
I've explored so many new things in the past few years, thanks to you'uns, and y'all. Plumeria, Brugs, orchids, bromeliad, adenium...where will I go next? I love learning about how different plants act and react.
Have you gotten interested in something new? What will it be?

Thumbnail by sallyg
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

My interests now run toward gardening with the idea that there will be significant periods of time where we won't even be around. I don't want to burden others to take care of my pretties. Sooo... What to do? Leaning toward more shrubby things and perennials.

Well, planting with carefree tidiness as a priority IS a new concept around here! It's been mostly reckless abandon lol.

Jan I have a Wintergreen box, I think it's Korean boxwood, it is very tidy and slow growing and been faithfully deep green since day one. I think well chosen shrubs and perennials will be every bit as attractive as anything more labor intensive.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I need to work on my front yard. Now that plants are no longer dying in my Death Bed, I need to just start planting more there. It's so bare that it kind looks depressing right now.

There's a dwarf Alberta spruce in full shade that needs to come out (seriously, who thought this was a good idea!), but I have no idea what I'll replace it with.

So I guess my next plant adventure is still a mystery!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

H hahaha, reckless abandon!!!!! AMEN!!!!!

Thanks for the recommendation of the Korean boxwood. Will put that on my list.

Have you figured out your next adventure?

gee, Jan, I was hoping one of you guys would have a suggestion....get me going in some direction...I might have to go shopping. The biggest green house I know of in my area is now crammed with expensive Day-Core items. Yuck. Blech. Grumble.

Or just see where the clearance tables lead me. Dutch Plant Farm was the source of two recent ones- Rattlesnake Calathea, and Anthurium 'Mehani'.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe. I Just KNEW you were fishing for ideas.

Sale tables are good. I really have to restrain myself. Keep reciting....family reunion family reunion family reunion. So far it is working.

One thing I find interesting are green roofs. Oh, and living walls.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What are Day-Core items?

decor, for people who hate decorating
;^P

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally-- Just came across your new Thread....

I cannot, realistically, think of something NEW to add to my garden. REALLY!

However--I find growing a lemon tree tempting. They look so good in pictures.
Not sure I ca grow it--as I have NO GH--and I have NO bright, sunny windows
to keep them by in the winter.

Hmmm..What else would tempt me? An AV that blooms every year--all the time.
You all know I have many AV's--but none of them have bloomed in 4-5 years,

I'll keep on reading about all your dreams, though.

Gita

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What's decorating?? ha ha

I'm still in the middle of the native plant adventure I started several years ago.
I can't stay inside during the winter, so I plan to spend some time digging up Japanese Pachysandra and Forsythia to make room to plant more native plants in the spring.

I have visions of freshly dug holes just waiting to have shrubs plopped into them next year!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Day-Core ha ha ha. I also wondered what that was when I read the post LOL. I love Day-Core, so shoot me.

On one of my online wanderings, I came across a thread and information about growing roses in the shade. I never thought it was possible. The many links to reference material is on my reading list for the off season, and I really want to try planting some climbers in my shade garden next spring. I also saw a recent article on galanthus. Never knew there were so many different kinds of snowdrops. Now they are on my new to try list too.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri - while you fixate on snowdrops, check out similar Leucojums. ;-) See http://www.vanengelen.com/flower-bulbs-index/best-of-the-rest/leucojum.html

This message was edited Nov 27, 2014 9:42 AM

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Aspen, I have roses that bloom in shade. I can't tell you exactly what kind they because we bought them years ago so that my daughter could try grafting branches from each bush onto the other as a science experiment.

They were in an area with only morning sun for years, then I moved them to an area that gets afternoon sun thinking they would bloom more, but the number of flowers is about the same. I haven't gotten around to fertilizing them in recent years, though.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David,
I planted some of those last fall. They didn't bloom well last spring, but I'm thinking they are the kind of bulbs that get better with each growing season. I like the look of them though and hope that they start doing well.

Some of those snowdrop cultivars are pretty pricey and sources are few and far between and seem to sell out early. I was going to try to just get 5-10 bulbs of different cultivars just to get started on a "collection". Boy, do I love "collections" LOL...

This message was edited Nov 27, 2014 11:27 AM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know of a mail order with a great shade plant selection? I've looked at all of Lazy S&S inventory, Munckin is not selling right now, other than that, I'm not sure of where else to go.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I think many companies stop shipping plants in the winter. How about driving to Bryn Mawr to check out this place? http://carolynsshadegardens.com/category/shade-perennials/

Oops! Never mind, I just saw that they're closed for the winter.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2014 10:18 PM

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

How about Nearly Native Nursery or Brent and Becky's Bulbs - all bulbs 50% off until December 1st?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Look up http://www.rickscustomnursery.com/perennials.htm Deb (RCN) was a DG member for years and I have several of their lovely plants. They both had some health issues and closed down the Nursery for a couple of years. But I got a card last year saying they were up and running again. Not sure if they are shipping now but take a look at their site and see what you find. Deb got very interested in Mosaics and working with concrete she makes the most beautiful things. I see that they added her work to their site.

I'm glad things are better for them. Ditto Deb's fantastic creations!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Muddy, I thought of the same one, but couldn't remember the name til I saw that you posted the link and a light bulb went off in my head and I said to myself. That's it

Glad to hear RCN is doing better. I enjoy looking at pics of their nursery. Will have to check out her creation.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We stopped by a few years ago on our way South. They have a lovely home and the gardens are just beautiful. She was just setting up her workshop at the time. We use to see them at the Va. Arboretum fall plant sale we would stop on our way home from the Beach. They didn't attend for a few years but I believe that they started to attend again. I think it was on their card that they sent a list of a few show that they were going to attend.

I think they're in the general area of that big place full of statuary and concrete garden things...another place I've been wanting to visit. Well, general as in the western side of VA lol

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I've always enjoyed Deb's garden pics and DIY projects too. It has been years since I have seen her at some of the Virginia Plant Sales. I think I caught up with her at Green Springs and Lewis Gintner. That would be great if she is back in business!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I was wondering why more people weren't chiming in on Sally's new thread to share their gardening adventures : - ) Glad to see that you found it, Sequoia...now let's hear your newest plans for your garden!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Muddy, I foresee that your next plant adventure will be with pruners, clippers, or whatever you have on hand to come fix the neglected boxwood at my place LOL...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I found this picture on pinterest and thought it would be a great idea to fill in around all those tulips I planted. Does anyone know what the filler plant is? Lobelia, alyssum, forget-me-knots?

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I can't really tell what it is but I was wondering if it could be creeping phlox.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll be happy to help, Aspen! It's probably best to wait until spring, though.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy--

The last two weeks have been crazy busy for many Folks--so that may br the
reason so many have not jumped into this new Thread.

What with Thanksgiving prep--guests--traveling--cleaning the house--washing
linens and bedding--planning a menu---grocery shopping for the big day--etc.etc...

WHO would have had time to sit at the computer?

Just saying....I know I have been busy--but I tried to jump in now and then.

Gita

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh I know, we've all been busy! My comment was really directed at Sequoia, who was wondering on another thread where everyone had gone.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Aspen, that looks like pink FMN to me.

My next gardening adventure is filling in spaces with ground covers. That's going to be my main focus this coming season.

Also, I'm going to foray into winter sowing. I've gotten 12 or so seed types from Prairie Moon and I'm collecting empty bottles like crazy.

Muddy, Nearly Native Nursery's website is really tough to navigate and it doesn't seem like there are many pictures. It's not browsing friendly so-to-speak. I may peruse at some point though. Thanks for the link Holly, I'll check that one out.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Seq, Carolyn's shade gardens has open houses several times a year. Not toooo far from you. This was the one I couldn't remember the name. Get on her email list and you will get notices when it will be open.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I could never tell if Carolyn's sold plants or just showed them. If they sell plants, I'm down.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yep, she sells plants. I've never been there myself, but have always wanted to check it out.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Me too! Would love to attend an open house and see in person some of the fabulous combinations and plants she writes about.
She specializes in snowdrops of all kinds and Hellebores. Her plants sell out fast.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, Carolyn's Shade Garden is one of my favorite garden blogs. She sells the cutest little miniature hostas. Bryn Mawr's about 2 hours from me, depending on traffic.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Carolyn's Shade Garden site is where I saw a lot of the snowdrop cultivars that I was thinking about making my next plant adventure. I noticed that they do sell out fast and are pretty pricey, but I was hoping to get about 5 bulbs each of several different cultivars to get started on my "collection". Maybe a road trip to one of the open houses would be a fun outing for us.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We should plan a trip to this Carolyn's some weekend in the spring. I think it's only about an hour or so from my house

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Seq, maybe if you email her and tell her you're going into plant-buying withdrawal, she'll let us come peruse her dormant plants before spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.