Your most "valuable" perennials?

(Zone 4b)

As rabid gardeners, it can be the case that we seek out the rare and often time hard to find perennial. And of course it can be the case that such plants can be quite expensive. I am just recalling from this past season I paid too much for albeit a very healthy specimen of Sanguinaria Canadensis Multiplex (Double Bloodroot).

I am just wondering what are your "nearest and dearest" (extravagant) herbaceous plants?

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I think I have answered this type of Question before but anyway". My very favorite is Peony Bartzella, a lush and beautiful Yellow. If only it would bloom all Summer as well as in Spring. Second choice is Red Charm Peony.
The next choices are various Clematis, Finally the various Echinosa. I like some of the newer ones , but they don't always come back next year

(Zone 4b)

Thanks for that 'arfitz'. Maybe you are thinking I am asking about your favorite plants. But instead I am wondering what is your most expensive perennial in your garden. (Although of course Peonies are often very pricey).

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hmmm, my more extravagant ones are mostly shrubs and trees. I have been eying the double bloodroot too.
But here goes-

Peony Bartzella (worth it). Definitely my most costly perennial.Never ever even hints at flopping. Leaves look good until frost.
Aurinia saxatilis 'Dudley Nevill", has come down in price I will buy more. A gem.
Anemone 'Wild Swan' jury still out
Antirrhinum 'Gummy' blooms for 6 months in a dry wall, hardy.
Hemerocallis 'Mighty Chestnut' Wow.
Brunnera 'Sea Heart' the only actually slug-proof one I have tried..
Kniphofia 'Mango Popsicle'
Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame' not yet sure if hardy, if so totally worth $$$
Hellebore Winter Jewels 'Golden Sunrise' stays in bloom so long it clashes with the summer color scheme and I have to cut off the flowers. Also costly I got 3 in bloom in gallon pots at the nursery.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I just got my winter issue of The American Gardener, the magazine of the American Horticultural Society. It has a nice article about Hellebore breeders Ernie and Marietta O'Byrne, of Oregon. They bred the seed strain I mentioned above, and say 'Golden Sunrise' is one of their top 3 favorites! I must have good taste. But really, it actually was worth it. I picked them out at the nursery in bloom (how fun to go plant shopping in Feb), the plants did vary a bit, but I like seed strains as a general rule.

Favorite perennials are Daylilies, then iris and their seedlings.

Most expensive plant is Daylily Dragon Fang, planted May 2014 was $70. Actually it was a birthday gift from 2 members of Dave.

Edited to include the price.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2014 1:35 AM

Thumbnail by
(Zone 4b)

That is a gorgeous picture 'blomma'!

So I take it you have been pleased with the performance of DF?

Thank you for compliment.
I have so far, but it was planted in May this year and still bloomed. The blooms will be better with nicer teeth next year.

Plan on crossing it with #2-5 and others.

1] Dragon Fang
2] Stars in the Mist
3] Alexa Kathryn
4] Better Yet
5] Spacecoast Krinkles

This message was edited Dec 10, 2014 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
(Zone 4b)

I am embarrassed to say that I planted day lilies not realizing that they are candy to deer :(.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

This year was some Eupatorium p. Gateway...wanted several and paid full price. The most expensive one ever was about 10 years ago (when things were cheaper) but only available as a 1 gallon at $16.99...Crambe cordifolia...now I just cut the root for babies...yah!

(Zone 4b)

Thanks Kathy for that. Your mentioning of "Crambe cordifolia" has jogged my memory as I have previously read good reviews of this plant ie interesting large leaves and a mass of flowers. Can you tell me of your experience with this plant?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I love it....It blooms in early June here. Flower stalks reach almost 5 foot. The roots become massive, (thick roots). Make sure you plant it where you want it as roots left in the ground will sprout new babies. The leaves are thick and large, puckered, a nice accent after bloom is finished, up to 2 wide. Flowers are white with a light fragrance, similar to baby's breath but further apart. Deer don't bother it!!! Z5. Here's a pix...sorry a center stem got broken in the wind so looks a bit lopsided here, this plant is approx 5 yrs old and almost 4 foot wide now, maybe bigger.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Zone 4b)

Great information kathy...I learned lots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.