I think I discovered again a parasatic plant

Bangkok, Thailand

Somebody can help me out with the name???

Thumbnail by mistifarang Thumbnail by mistifarang
Keaau, HI

Need to see as many details as possible.

Any flowers or fruit. Leaves.

If it is parasitic it would have haustoria, which are specialized roots that sink into the tissues of the host plant and absorb nutrients.

Bangkok, Thailand

Thanks Metrosideros! I was in a hurry, but I'll try to go back to there! This is already the third kind of parasite I found here in Bangkok!

Thumbnail by mistifarang Thumbnail by mistifarang Thumbnail by mistifarang
noonamah, Australia

The centre photo of the flowers looks like a Mistletoe, don't know the species. Possibly a Dendrophthoe but I don't know which ones you have over there.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

That stringy yellow plant also looks like the parasitic plant Cuscata which is called Dodder around here. The Cassytha and Cuscata look so much alike, are they kissing cousins Dave?

Keaau, HI

Hi Ardesia!

The two similar looking vines are in separate families. Cuscuta, Dodder, in the Cuscutaceae. Cassytha, Love Vine, in the Lauraceae.

Cuscuta is mostly found in the New World.

Cassytha is mostly found in the Old World.

Cassytha filiformis is a Pantropical indigenous species.

The most reliable distinction would be to see the flowers & fruit.

At a glance (at least here in Hawai'i) Dodder has a yellow color, with a silvery cast. Love Vine is green to orange.

http://www.starrenvironmental.com/images/species/?q=cuscuta+campestris&o=plants

http://www.starrenvironmental.com/images/species/?q=cassytha+filiformis&o=plants

This message was edited Dec 7, 2014 2:47 PM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ah Ha, so they are only lookalikes - from a distance. Thanks, I always enjoy learning from you.

Yes, Dodder is very yellow here, and a terrible pest. I just went back and read the links and saw where it says the two plants are often confused.

noonamah, Australia

Cassytha filiformis is called Dodder Laurel here. It's very widespread, even into the arid regions. The fruits are popular with the indigenous people. Although some plants have bitter fruit. Don't know if that's a varietal thing, or related to the particular host plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.