Bird of paradise bloom

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

After two years of patience, I have one bloom and two buds!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Good growing and aren't they the most amazing flowers?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Love them. I've had them for at least 5 years and they bloomed well at first. Then they stopped. I realized they were root bound, (I had no idea the root system was so enormous), so repotted them. THAT was a real chore. I had them in ceramic pots and the roots had "glued" themselves to the insides of the pots. My husband had to take a reciprocating saw and CUT them out. I sprinkled what was left of the roots with root tone and put them in smaller plastic pots. They recovered in a couple of months.
When I put them in these pots, I put a plastic layer in the insides of the pots. :)
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

As a former Californian, these are a favorite of mine. Congratulations on successful blooming!
Entlie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

There is a huge old one with blue and white flowers at our marina, it only had one flower this year but the fact that it made it through last winter at all was surprising.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I have a white one in the ground. It had one stalk that was 6', then the leaves started above that. After last Winter, it had to start over, but it was still alive.
I'd love to see a bloom someday!
Barb

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm so pleased for you! I have one - a pup sent from a DG friend in TX. I'd read that they won't bloom until they become root bound, so I will just keep waiting. :)

How long do the blooms last?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

They take about a month from beginning to end, but are in full bloom a bit over a week. I think they just have to get big enough since the one that isn't root bound is blooming, but the other, in a smaller pot, hasn't yet.
Barb

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

i've got some new growth showing, but nothing that looks like a flower.

Will keep waiting! :)

Thanks.

A.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Well I just got one of these today and may be pestering all of you for info on them
I hope before long all of us are back posting I have a lot going on and I miss you all.

Lavina

MERRY CHRITMAS

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I'll be happy to share my experience. ;)
I do have a pic of my Christmas cactus in bud.

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.