rooting brugs

Center, TX

I just cut my brugs and want to root some new ones. How do you do this to keep the cuttings from rotting? Should I let them callus over before using, or use rooting hormone? I need all the advise I can get. Thanks in advance. Alda

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Place them in water for a few days to maybe a week. Keeping the water fresh. When the cuttings have little white nubs on the bark, it is time to put in small pots till next spring.

Sometimes, no matter what you do, one or two cuttings will rot.

Long Beach, CA

I agree. Also some brugs don't root well in water, but most do. What is the name of your brug?
Rhapsody

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

When i was a Newbie growing Brugs--I followed anyone's advice.
Back then--most people were rooting theim in water. I even bought all the
stuff to do it with the "Bubbler method". They still rotted.

I root all my cuttings straight in soil Mix. Been doing this for years.
I cut them from woody stems--avove a "Y". NEVER from green tops.
I make the cuttings about 4"-6" long--minding the nodes above and below
as they are points of new growth.
I dust the bottom parts with rooting Hormone and put them in 5" pots
all the way down to the bottom. Make the hole first!

I have to cut my Brugs back by end of October as they have to be taken
inside to spend the winter in my cool, dark Shop.

In about 2-3 weeks--they all pass the tug test.

1--here is a bunch rooting from Dec, 2008
2--And here are a bunch from Dec. 2011.

Pretty good growths in just 2 months!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Long Beach, CA

I just can't get them going in soil. For what ever reason they hollow out. Some kind of bug eats them. Water is a safer them for me... no bugs in the water. LOL

I too tried the bubblier thing. My cuttings rotted too. Even when I charge the water twice a day.

Rhapsody

This message was edited Feb 9, 2015 5:53 AM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I use to put them in water to hold them over till I got them in a pot....but I never use to put green cuttings in water....only woody stems...Gitagal,yours look great

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I try just cuttings that are brown , not green . When green , [ like I know I won't be able to get an older brown cutting ] - I put in water - tooth pick stuck in bottom of cutting and a pipe cleaner wrapped around to hold in center . One cutting in a jar . I generally put a drop of supper thrive in water .
I put the night lite in a cardboard box with jars

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Some of my Maya cuttings hollowed out too--BUT--it is sending new, healthy
shoots from below the soil.
The original stems all turned brown and are totally dried and hollow.

I believe it is because the Maya was not totally mature when I took the cuttings
last October. Can't think of any other reason.
I just ,carefully, cut off all the dried hollow stems--no sense having them there....

Here--see what I am talking about? Original cutting dead as a doornail--
but roots live. This is a Maya Brug. Variegated leaves....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

It is hard for me to get brown / seasoned wood after the " Y " I have a few that are over 5 years old and no flower .
I had them labeled , but nephews and nieces helped by putting the names in order . They just moved the name stakes .

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Tony--

You do not HAVE TO necessarily cut just above the "Y". You can cut anywhere
from a stem--even below the "Y". It is absolutely OK.
The drawback is that the new plant will have to grow to the point where it will "Y"
before it blooms. That is always a "given'.
Cuttings taken from above the "Y" already have that "into them" and bloom sooner.

Your plant will be perfectly healthy no matter where you take a stem cutting from.
Just make sure it is woody--NOT green or soft.
You could even take a section of the main trunk and root that. Plop it straight into
some fresh potting mix and wait...

Here is a novelty picture---Hard to believe...but it is true.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks , that has been my experience .
I was told this year that a cutting below " Y " would flower before " Y-ing " as long as it was root bound . I have 4 or 5 plants that are over 5 years old and just won't " Y " or flower . I posted it under " I was just told .
I have had "green cuttings root , but only about 1 - 5 . Tooth pink stuck in bottom of cutting , a heat cable around 5 or 6 jars or set on top of water heater .
Another word of advice - don't plant in ground until ground at least 60 degrees .

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We live in such different zones.
Since I have to cut mine back to bring them in my dark, coll Shop
for the winter--it may affect the whole rooting thing differently.

I usually cut them back in mid-late october and stick the cut pieces
in pots to root. It has aways worked OK.
I have only two brugs now--a "Maya" and "Dr. Seuss". The Maya often has issues
rooting--like this past year. The Dr. S. is a gang-buster...very strong grower.

Gita

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

When I first got into Brugs I asked for a few cuttings and was sent a whole lot. I put them in soil in 6" pots, with a little water, and then down into an orange bag the newspaper delivery folks use to keep the papers dry. Then I blew into the bag to fill it up, tied a knot in the bags and put them in the kneehole of my computer desk. Forgot about them for a while and then when remembered a few weeks later, I checked and they were rooted.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I use rebar [ the steel they put in concert ] to support plants and stick / pound extra pieces into ground close to where I think I might need them .
Anyway , about a month ago we had a bad wind storm right after the burgs were moved outside , I was sick with a cold and a nephew was here . The wife and he pruned away broken sections , pulled up rebar and stuck broken pieces into holes . 5 out of 7 have new growth .
I had the pruning tar but they could not find it so they used masking tape to seal .
I don't know if the iron in dirt from rusty rebar helped the roots or not .
I cropped the picture of back yard to show tape .
I think I will try putting a few nails in a jar of water and pour rusty water into potting mix . But that will be when I prune or get a / more cutting [ s ]

Thumbnail by tonyjr Thumbnail by tonyjr
Long Beach, CA

Tonyjr... that is a good looking yard you have there.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I agree, that is so pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.