25000th Iris Cultivar! now in Plantfiles!

Concord, NC

DG has Reached it's 25,000th Iris Cultivar last night. It was 'Twilight Peace' 1948 by Gersdorff of Indiana. In all fairness to other sites, their are sites with more Irises in their database, But I cannot stress enough, that they do not have a Hybridizer Search where one can search by Hybridizer and see all the cultivars in a row with Pictures and Complete data for that hybridizer in one list. This Hybridizer Search is What is Key to Keeping DG Competitive, it is a very special feature, as well as our Accuracy, Correctness and Most complete pictures, as we are an older site and we have the most Accurate Bloomtimes and Dates of Introduction with these images as we are constantly adding adding scrutinizing these entries. If You are Interested in a particular Hybridizer and do a Search and see their is Incomplete data, a missing Cutlivar, or Missing Images that You have images of, please consider adding them and helping us build the database of Irises and Daylilies here to be the most complete on the Internet. It is not Quantity of Iris and Daylily plants, but Quality and Correctness of Data, the Hybridizer search and the Beautiful, and more established database of Quality Images continuing to pour in, that is Key to keeping this site the Best. Their is also an Sticky at the top of the Iris and Daylily Threads in these forums where a list of Hybridizers can be found where IrisMA and other Members who have been here for years have spent alot of hours adding pics for particular hybridizers. This is also an area you members new or old can enjoy and help us continue to build something special. Sandra

Picture 'Joy' by Carpenter 1943

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Maybe not the biggest,but surely one of the best for research purposes. I strive to add only correct images and also try to get incorrect images removed. I know you are most fond of the historic bearded irises and have a wealth of information on them. Thank you so much for sharing your information. My favorites are the early work of Currier McEwen with early Siberians and Japanese irises. Just imagine what it must have been like when he crossed two blues and got the first yellow Siberian.

Concord, NC

:-) Thats whats great about the fact that everyone can add the varieties that they find the most personal connection too and are interested in. Their is alot about computers and the internet that I dont like that I think takes away from Nature, but then their are places like this where everyone can come to research their own unique individual like that is a part of them, that they have expertise in or want to gain more expertise in, and we all can build and collaborate on something. Your Love and Expertise in Siberians and Japanese Iris inspires others to grow and love and learn about them, as my love of old historic bearded iris and old heirloom daylilies can spark an interest as well and become a passion for others too. I also think it better to be able to research an image thats not corect that someone has and find out what it is and share with them what you feel it is before flagging it, that way you can get it moved for them to the right place versus getting the hair up on their neck first mwahaha ;-) i know thats how i felt when i was new and some of mine were flagged, especially when two of those they flagged i was right on and i was vindicated with links and proof i was correct bwahaha. This site has become much better the last couple years at collaboration and subtle ways of correcting errors minimizing any bullying or those feeling singled out. Classiest site on the Internet. Just my opinion. :-) edited for grammer. if i wasnt so blind, things could be even more accurate with less misspelling and bad grammer :-)

This message was edited Nov 18, 2014 4:23 PM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well said.

Concord, NC

:) Now its 26,000 Iris (:

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow!

Concord, NC

:-) 27,000 Irises in PF! the 27,000th iris was 'Realm' 1920 By G. P. Baker of England (-:

Wow! Thank you for your efforts.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

yes, thank you ! Good Job !

Concord, NC

Thank-You Mittsy and Arlyn for Your Continued Friendship and Support. if You see anything i missed with the Historics or any other plants and stuff being added please help by adding to it as this is a joint effort to make this site better and better and more enjoyable and accurate with both of Your help.

Will do, I'm trying to find my early photos of the iris collection from WKBG. They have a lot of historics.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

It's hard to believe there are that many cultivars. Impressive.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

There were 3 things that got me started in my love for Irises:
1) We bought a short sale that had sat 5 months in the desert through the hottest months of summer without any watering. There were a few Irises hanging on by a thread and I watered them. The next Spring they put on a show. Their tenacity and beauty won my heart.
2) My Mom always had Irises in the garden growing up and so they bring back happy memories
3) This website - I actually found it while trying to identify a bug. And then I found the flowers, and then I found the Irises and the rest is pretty much history. That was 4 years ago and that love has not waned in the slightest. And I truly enjoy looking at other people's flowers on the website almost as much as looking at my own in the garden, I said almost:) But I know I cannot grow every variety out there so I get much pleasure out of looking at what others grew for the season. Plus agreed, this website is GREAT for research. I research every variety I am considering buying and base my opinion on what posters on this site show the Iris looks like more than what the vendor's pics looks like. There may be some I am willing to take a chance on and go with the vendor (if there are not too many pictures or no pictures), but bottom like is, all those who contribute to this website, by posting their pics, have helped me make much better choices. So the point I have been trying to get to in all this, is I really do appreciate all the pics (especially of Irises) that people post and it is why I take the time to make sure I post mine: the good, the bad and the ugly!!!

Concord, NC

Awesome..keep helping.. by continuing to add more of your Lovely Beautiful pictures of Iris Cultivars You Grow and Enjoy to Plantfiles..Thanks for keeping my thread here Alive too.. it means Alot to me. In Friendship and Mutual Love of Saving and Preserving Irises for Future Generations. Sandra.

irises from the KY homestead, my son's and his fil garden. These were from the grandmothers original homestead so are pretty old ones. No names survived the generational shift.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

My favorites are the very pale lavender ones with the wonderful sweet grape intense scent. The color varies slightly but I believe the last two are the same although growing at the mailbox the soil might be different from the border of the driveway.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

The last of them, one modern noid.

I did take some pictures at the WKBG but transferred them to my external hard drive, so it will be awhile before I get to them.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, mittsy! That pink!

I really enjoy this group of iris lovers. I only started growing them in the last 4 years. But I first fell fir them when my great-great uncle showed me his collection when I was very young. Young enough to be about the sam height as the bloom stalks. He showed me the beautiful color combinations and encouraged me to compare the fragrances.

Concord, NC

Just Beautiful Mittsy!!! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.