Chimera African violets

Marthasville, MO

I'm wondering how growers come up with all the chimeras they sell on eBay. I guess when you have thousands of plants, the law of averages gives you a sprout or two.
I recently purchased some chimeras. A few flowering adults and some starter plants. I'm going to try my hand at rooting flower stalks.
Anyone out there want to share their experiences with these beauties.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey jeep12:)

Welcome!!! So good to see someone posting. Not much chat on here lately.

Ahhh, Chimera A.V.s::)) Sometimes a regular A.V. will "sport" and turn into a Chimera. I think I have 3 Chimeras but the only time I reproduce is when I get a sucker. Still have to watch to make sure it blooms true. Are you using Keiki Grow plus on the flower stalks?

Connie

Marthasville, MO

hey aspenjocop:

I've never heard of it, sounds like a hormone. So does that mean, growers don't bother rooting flower stalks? This sounds like an easier way to go. I will search for this product.

Thanks for being there
Dave

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Yes, it is a hormone. Very tiny amount used in the application. It aids in flower stalks and suckers. I'm thinking it was first used for Orchids but works well for Chimeras too :)

Connie

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Also can lop off the head and it may grow suckers from the stem.

Any chimera's I have ever had, eventually reverted back to a parent color. I have not had much luck with the fantasy flowers keeping their speckles either. could just be my growing conditions.

tish

Marthasville, MO

If my Chimeras revert back I will probably lose interest in them. They are pretty much about the pinwheel pattern.
I just ordered Keiki Grow Plus, we will see how it works!!
Also too, I have three flower stalks rooting. They are from a recent purchase of chimmies.

dave

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I only have Pony Ride right now . . . and it grows well enough that I can cut off extra crowns and root them. Getting ready to do that again.

I would think trailing chimera would be easier with the multiple crowns.

Good luck with the bloomstalks and let us know if they bloom true for you.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It does have multiple crowns . . . but I'm going for shape now, and there is one chunk that is just blowing the rest . . .

Marthasville, MO

Well I have the KEIKI GROW PLUS in hand. Where did I see those instructions on applying hormonal paste to the Chimera's flower stalks. I know I saw em somewhere--anybody know?

Dave

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I have them somewhere and can get it for you after I fix supper and clean up my mess. I can tell you it is a minute amount as in the tip of a straight pin. Not much at all for each application. Also, it will have a better shelf life if you keep it in your refrigerator. Got that advice from the gentleman I bought it from. His wife was still using the same bottle after 8 years and working :)

Connie

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey Dave :)

I am not associated with this group but I had to google this article by Janet Stromborg because I can't find it right now in my reference material. Great info and pics with it that are expandable so you can see up close :)
Hope this helps :)

Connie

http://www.african-violet-brats.com/janet/index.htm

Marthasville, MO

I just Googled the pertinent info and found the same site you did. Thanks and what did you have for supper?
I will give it a try today.
they suggest you keep it in the fridge. I have enough hormone to share w/everyone in the U.S.
I have a Wasp that has awfully small bracts. I think I would have a hard time rooting these stalks. This product should help.

I've been reading a lot of old post,I didn't know this site had changed hands and so many people had went elsewhere!!!

Dave

I never tried this, but recently I ran across a paper someone had given me a few years ago about Chimeria prop and I remembered this post. The paper said you can take off the leaves on one side of the plant and it will encourage the plant to sent out shoots where those leaves had been. I think not to cut them too close to the plant or you will damage the area where the new shoots would come out. I think I might try this with a regular plant and see if this will really produce new plantlets. Usually I'm cutting those suckers out, not encouraging them to grow, ha. But I am curious. tish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.