Grants Pass, OR park unidentified conifers

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1379676/

...and more specifically here
(http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9973914)
with a conifer ID question. I hope some have followed.

Here are fuller sets of images, as I had them filed away.

Oregonbluemoon has suggested that from only the first image, this looks like a young Coastal Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Here is the next one from the other thread. Oregonbluemoon (given only the first image) suggested "...Pic 2 is tougher. it has the look of Port-Orford-cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana). Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) has a very similar look.

The skinny tree on the right along the lamppost Is western redcedar (Thuja plicata). It's foliage is a little sparse, I am quite sure of this one being as that tall skinny spire is so characteristic of this tree at this age..."

More images of that one...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Here is the third tree from the previous post, which received these comments from Oregonbluemoon:

"...I am pretty sure pic 3 is Douglas fir (pseudotsuga)..."

Here are additional images for this tree.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

What a trip down memory lane. Is that the street this park is on in Grants Pass?

I hope this doesn't come off as rubbing it in with Oregonbluemoon. I appreciate all assistance with identifying these trees, and it was a drop-in on a drop-in on someone else's thread where I first posted this. Better here, and with more info - and maybe I'll end up knowing what I saw way back when...

Here is the last (4th) tree from the previous thread, and Obm's comments:

"...The 4th pic is ponderosa pine (pinus ponderosa)..."

I apparently only took this one image of that plant.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

This was quite a park, and it had quite a collection of conifers.

Here are several more trees. I think that I didn't necessarily match cones/needles with them properly, so my final post after this one will have "body parts" without attribution.

I throw myself on the mercy of the TSC forum court...

As promised, here are the parts.

I am on the road to Big Bend National Park down Texas way, so likely won't be back to see what good work you've done for a bit. Enjoy the view, and don't let a little snowstorm get you down...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Be sure to have a bowl of chili in Terlingua... memorable.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

#1 is Lawson's Cypress Chamaecyparis lawsoniana

Back to do the others later!

Resin

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Post #2 - Lawson's Cypress again.

Post #3 - Engelmann Spruce

Post #4 - Ponderosa Pine

Post #5 - Giant Sequoia, and two spruces with no close-ups for ident :-(

Post #6 - Probably Picea asperata, then Abies sp., Abies grandis, and Abies sp.

Resin

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What wonderful photography!

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Resin is absolutely correct. Both #1 and #2 are Lawson's Cypress Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

On #3 Resin is also correct. From a distance Douglas fir and the spruces look alike. Engelmann Spruce has square needles that are hard and prickly, Douglas fir needles are soft and flatter (won't roll easily between fingers). It's the cone that is the easiest to ID, Douglas Fir has three pointed bracts sticking out between the cone scales like little tongues. This is unique to Douglas fir.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Post #5 is for sure Sequoiadendron giganteum the Giant sequoia. the others could be spruces, without cones and needles I'll be quite this time :). In the third picture the tree on the far left is also Giant sequoia.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Post #6 the parts are: #1 Grand fir Abies grandis
#2 Abies. I think this one is grandis also but is possibly Subalpine fir.
#3 Grand fir.
#4 I believe this one is Subalpine fir Abies lasiocarpa.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

This park is on East Park St. in Grants Pass. Anyone passing through this area should visit the State Park/rest area at exit 45B. Well worth the 5 minutes to drive through and see all the conifers and hardwoods.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.