Oh nowe're moving!

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

While headed to AZ to visit elderly in-laws last week, we discussed the idea of moving there to be closer. Once we arrived, the decision was made. Now...what to do with all these iris! We want to save them, bring them with us. BUT...

We won't have a house for quite a while. The plan is to rent for up to a year, while we buy land & build--or find the right house.

My question is this: if I bring the iris along bare root, how long til I must get them in pots at the rent house? We're likely moving this coming May. Moving from south TX means one two day trip, so there's no room for plants in pots. It'll be at least a couple of weeks before we're in a rent house and can even think of putting them in pots.

Also, should I put them in one big box, or divide them into small ones...and should they go in the U-haul, or out on the trailer where it might be cooler?

Please advise?
Thanks in advance.

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Dollie. I have taken tube roses and kept the roots for nearly six months in a large plastic recycling bins we get, packed tightly they took about 60 bulbs in about 1.5 Square foot. Easily Iris can spend at least a season or two packed this way. Use good soil. Or send them packing to me . I will take care of them until You want them in a year or two. I will of course take a few with your permission - or maybe not. I am in Sugarland, S of Houston. Travel safe.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Jamper. That was one idea I considered--it worked great for the last move from one house to this, because it was a while before I could dig them back in. But we seriously don't have room for dirt in pots for this cross-country move, and I have soooo many iris to bring. Maybe 250? :~P

I also have thought about farming them out to plant-sitters with the offer of iris offspring, but as most of these are NOIDs, the postage might be more than it would cost to replace them all.

So far it looks like they'll just have to go dormant, wrapped in paper after a clean-bath and drying time.

Guess I'd better enjoy this coming bloom season, since they'll be dormant and take a while to get blooming again!

Thinking how irises look when I order them from Schreiners, the rhizomes are plump and dry, fans trimmed to 4" and dormant.

I would do likewise. I would also invest in a small fridge from Walmart. They are pretty cheap and easily moved. My DD and DSI have one to store extra soda in. It large enough to hold all of your irises with careful packing them in. As long as they are dry and cold, they will remain dormant until you can plant them. To save room, just take with you a main blooming size rhizome of each variety. Leave the rest.

While traveling, pack them in a large box or 2. The post office have free boxes of the flat rate in both large and mideum. I can fit 15+ in the mideum size box when I ship. Lay them them in single layer, then newspaper, another layer of rhizomes, and so on, until the box is filled. Keep the box/s where it is the coolest while traveling.

Rhizomes are almost like succulents in that they contain moisture, which helps them survive drought. Even a shriveled rhizome will plump up and grow once it is given soil and moisture.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the fridge idea--I hadn't thought of that. Later after we buy land and build the house, that one could become the "beer fridge". :~D

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL, beer fridge....
I wanted to also let you know I have plenty of room, (4 1/2 acres yet to be filled), for those Iris and then return them to you come time for their new home. We've traded Iris in the past, probably where you got some of those noids.. But named or not they are all beautiful!!!! And what about parcel post, isn't that the least $$$$? Come to think of it a few years ago I got a large order of Peonies from Wild and Sons and they were shipped in a wooden crate and it seemed to me it wasn't that expensive. So check into a few methods of shipping. Also there's a book rate for shipping too which is slower but less $$$. Just a few ideas for you to explore.. Would be happy to further discuss the idea with you if interested...d-mail me. And even sharing the cost of shipping for a share...lol.

When exactly will you be moving? How' bout taking at least one rhiz. of each that you definitely want and share or sell the others? Just curious if you ever marked which you got from me as I could easily replace those for you..... Last trade season I shared more than 200 plants, fpr postage, trades and gifts.

Just a few ideas......let me know if I can help. Don't want to leave them, THAT I do understand!!!! Kathy ( I already have almost 300 plants so I understand the love...lol.)

Kathy, I can get 15 iris rhizomes in a mideum flat rate Priority box for about $12.30. Approximately 25 in a large flat fee box. When the weight is over 2 lbs, Parcel Select (new name for Parcel Post) is cheapest.

Do not consider any thing but books or movies for the book rate. That is all it is for. Nothing with advertisement can be shipped that way, including magazines. If the post office happen to become suspicious and open the box, you will get in trouble. They have that right to check.

If she has many irises, I would just pack them in a large box and send by Parcel Select. The more weight, the cheaper, but takes longer.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Even if it takes a few weeks to get here they will still arrive in good shape... And a big LOL, I can stuff more into a box than you can.... I know most of the flate rate regional boxes that I mailed last season (med>) had more than 20 rhiz. in them.....stuff, stuff, stuff..and sit on the box if needed. (Regional boxes are less $$$ to send but you have to order the boxes for free at USPS.com. Hmmm, will have to remember the new name Parcel Select.

Does UPS have a flate rate?

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I have compromised, since we're listing the house this week...dug up and divided all the named ones. Had enough of them to keep a few and put the rest back in the ground. Then I did the same to the unnamed ones, until I had so many I will have trouble finding spots for them in the new yard. TINY new yard, I might add. :~(

We close on the new house (we bought instead of renting) this week, so once this house we're in sells, we will be able to just move right in, and I can plant them straight away, even if it's only a temporary spot.

Kathy, one of the ones I got from you bloomed today--gorgeous white with purple trim. And it stinks soooo good!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

OMG, you have blooms on your Iris now? Egads, I'm sitting here with 14" of fresh snow at the moment.....lol.

I'm soo glad you like it.... If you decide you need to replace or want more let me know come June. That's when mine will be blooming (early June). And I have plenty to share...quite sure I could find some you don't have. What about your perenns? Are you taking those too?

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

No Kathy--our new yard will be half the size of what we have now, is currently ALL rock (desert landscape style) and only gets 8" of rain a year. So, I'll enjoy my iris and some lilies, and a selection of desert natives. Oh, and a wee patch a grass for the canine. He doesn't ask much, but he really needs a tiny yard for himself from which to watch the world go by. :~)

Thank you so much for the generous offer. I imagine it won't be long til I'm begging people to take iris off my hands there, for I've heard they grow really well in that low humidity.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

When do you leave?

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Soon as we sell this house and it closes! We closed on the one in AZ this week, so there's a place to move right in. Just listed this house yesterday, so fingers crossed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.