Wintering potted perennials

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have potted up several "hardy" for my area perennials to sell at our Master Gardener Plant Sale next spring. Do I need to:

1.. bury these plants in the ground?
2. cover them up with hay?
3.. keep in doors?

Also,
I started several plants from cuttings this fall. They have "taken root", but not lots of roots. I am afraid they won't make it in the ground even if I keep them in their pots. So, I guess that means I have to keep all of these cuttings in my basement. These cuttings are zone hardy.
Ideas?

I do mainly shrub cuttings for DD's new house and usually keep the newly rooted cuttings indoors for the first winter. I let them grow in the heated little gh for the first winter. I've got a few cuttings from last year that will spend their first "real" winter in the cold frame. I would think that the potted perennials could go in the ground but the cuttings might be better off indoors this winter. For me, it's easier to keep an eye on them and let them develop some mass before braving our winters.

Wyoming, MN

I know nurseries here remove plants from benches. Set them on the ground and cover with an insulating layer. They do not bury the pots but I don't know what kind of winter losses they have.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks to both replies. I sort of thought the same thing. I just wanted someone to tell me it was ok to just leave them outside!! Ha!

I have lots of really nice Salvia nemerosa "Blue Hill" cuttings I am hoping will make it. It's a beautiful soft periwinkle blue color-pastel.

http://www.perennialfarmmarketplace.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/2625/index.htm

Our cold temps are to come in tomorrow.

Do you think it will be okay to plant the "established" perennials outside when the cold air leaves? Surely, we'll get a couple of nice days yet.

As for the cuttings, I will keep them in my downstairs unheated basement. It's the closest thing I have to a green house! I do have lights set up.

So much to do yet. Got the rest of my blubls planted yesterday. I have a few I had dug up from last year that needs to be stuck in the ground somewhere yet. If they don't get in-I guess too bad. Hopefully, we'll have a couple of decent days yet before the ground is frozen,.

Not sure about planting perennials this late. I know shrubs can go in but not sure on perennials.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Even if I leave them in their pots?

Oh - sorry. If they're still in their pots, go ahead and sink the pots in the ground. If available, mound up some fall leaves around/over them to soften the blow of the cold weather until they get into dormant mode. Temp has already dropped here this afternoon.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Temps here are cold also. When the weather warms up a little again, I will get them in the ground and put straw over them.

Looking at the weather forecast this morning and it's supposed to get really cold early next week for a day or two. You might want to consider digging the holes for the pots before the ground gets too cold (I wonder if it will freeze this week?) and put your straw over the holes for now. The straw over the empty holes might help keep the soil a little warmer (?) until the pots go in. Kind of like planting a live Christmas tree after the holidays.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.