wooden chair

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi, I bought this barstool swiveling chair for 2 dollars and I plan to fix it up and get way more for it is the plan. Anyway, that gold metal square thing screws around the legs and really makes it solid. I've taken it off and it's really in need of shined up or something. I know that part isn't wood but I thought maybe someone has a suggestion on how to shine it up? It has a little surface rust on it. Can I sand it good and paint it gloss black Rustoleum? I thought the gold and oak look was out? I plan on staining the chair and putting polyurethane on it. I probably shouldn't stray too far from the oak look anyway in case whoever buys it matches what they already got?
Thanks, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!