CLOSED: Iris babies

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Well, I started cleaning out my iris beds only to discover they were so crowded.
I have a ton of these "babies". As you can see they are small but very viable tubers.
The iris are mixed colors, the majority being an xlarge two-tone purple. Also white, yellow, peach, and others too numerous to mention.
I can get quite a few in just a small flat rate box, at least ten, maybe a lot more. They won't all have green, but they all have roots! Just can't bear to toss these little treasures.
Trade or postage.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee
South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

We'll do a stuffed box for postage... :-)
Need Paypal address again

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd like a box, please. I'll also need your PayPal address.

Center, TX

Hi, I don't use paypal but I can send you cash. Let me know how much. I need some new colors. Thanks, Alda

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I received the Irises today, Dee. They look good. Thanks so much!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Looking done for now, will post again when I get the front yard Iris dug up, LOL.
Thanks to everyone that took Iris. Here are a couple of pictures I found of the "Flower Garden".

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Love the pics - what is the vine on the trellis? Is the red flower in the first picture an iris or something else?

Natick, MA

Lovely garden photos!

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Thank-you Dee!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Your second picture reminds me of Belvi Queen, here's a link
http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/search.php?search_text=PFPID:34141

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

The red in first pic is a tall variety of Alstroemeria, the pink ones are Watsonia. There is a white rose on the arbor, my daughter was married under it!

Glad to see that those of you that want the iris babies are from warmer climate. They would not survive in the North planted this late in the season. The roots need to be planted 6 weeks before expected frost to have time to be established before winter.

Dome---nice iris flowers and iris roots. .

This message was edited Dec 21, 2014 2:05 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

http://www.almanac.com/plant/irises

By Almanac Staff

We would normally advise planting your iris at least 4 to 6 weeks before your first hard freeze or killing frost and mulch very heavily with finely shredded wood mulch. I'm afraid that if you plant them now, they'll die. At this point, plant the iris in the spring after the frost is out of the ground so the roots have time to get established. Speak to your nursery about how to best store in your area.

Cvlle_Gardener, The above is sopied and pasted from your link

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, good.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Yeah, I don't have that problem as it rarely freezes here and the ground never freezes. I know that it's different elsewhere. I can transplant year round without losing anything from cold and often it is a good time to move things around as the plants slow down and are somewhat dormant. It's also the only time of year we get any rain which is manna from heaven. I don't know what it is about rain water but the plants seem to know the difference from ground water.

Luckily I don't live in a warm state like California or Florida. I would surely garden myself to death. I actually need a winter to give me a break and plan for the next season.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

The only days I don't go into the garden is when it's raining . . . which it doesn't do very often. I've been out trying to get various areas of the garden weeded and raked for winter sowing. Going to do more directly in the ground this fall. I also have 7 full size trays on heat mats inside and 8 out in the greenhouse. I'm trying to get a lot more done while it's not so sunny out. I had a skin cancer scare this year so I plan on being a lot more careful in the future. Like no more digging out in the full sun. I'm a redhead, I should know better.
And I have no doubt, when the time comes, my body will be found out in the garden, as it should be, LOL.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL. Not a bad way to go, Dee. I loved gardening in CA. I could grow so many things outdoors year around.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

I may be interested in iris babies in the spring. I can even swap you some at that time, maybe around March-April-May? Or I can reimburse you the postage. Thanks

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

timmijo - contact me later in spring, I will probably have some I can dig for you then.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

Will do, thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.