Does anyone know what this is?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

This is the second one i've found on my strawbale. I'm wondering if its some kind of mold or an insect nest?

Thanks,
Gemfire55

Thumbnail by gemfire55
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I think you have dog vomit fungus/slime mold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuligo_septica

http://www.smallrooms.com/tag/dog-vomit-slime-mold/

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

yuck! I scooped it all off and hopefully it doesn't come back. My broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts are growing in those straw bales. They don't seem to be affected by it as it wasn't right next to them. But at the same time doesn't make them look very appetizing either. This is my second winter on these straw bales and I didn't see this last year. If my bales hold up I may plant some squash in them for the summer and then will probably turn them to mulch. Unless this problem persists, then they'll go into the burn barrel.

Thanks for the ID.

Gemfire55

Mesa, AZ

I was going to say you had 'eeewwwuuuu' but dog vomit slime mold does sound better. :)

Prescott, AZ

Oh wow, slime mold is one of the coolest things to show up in the garden. It's not a mold or a fungus, it won't eat your veggies, and it will disappear in a few days. It's probably living on the mulch, wood chips, and straw, which helps with decomposing the mulch to feed your plants, which is what we want, right? Every once in awhile I'll get to see one here during the summer rains, yours looks like maybe Mother Nature left a Trick or Treat gift for Halloween. It's actually in the garden always, it only gathers itself up to the visible form for special occasions. Thanks for sharing the picture!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thank you everyone for the info. I wish I'd had read Nopala's response before I scooped it up and threw it in the burn barrel. It looked so Yuck! This was the 2nd one so maybe there will be more. Both were on top of my straw bales that I'm growing broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts in.

Happy Gardening

Pam

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

This is why I conyinue to subscribe to DG

Prescott, AZ

Hi Eileen in Tucson, do you continue to subscribe because you are also a fan of dog-vomit slime mold, or you like to read the discussion, or was it something else here that piqued your interest? Just curious! I just had a load of wood chips delivered, I hope I'll get some good decomposers going.

Mesa, AZ

Nopala, Eileen subscribes for our deep and scintillating conversations (dog vomit slime mold) one never knows what will be up for discussion..... LOL!

Hi Eileen- long time no see! Was in your fair city all weekend, hubby playing softball. Unfortunately, I did not manage to sneak away to Desert Survivors... drat!

Susie

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lol! No, I subscribe because of the general wealth of information and the friends I've made here, silly!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

And besides, just what Susie said. :)

Prescott, AZ

I suspected it wasn't entirely the slime mold!

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dog vomit fungus/slime mold????? I'm wondering if what I occasionally find in the grass is the same thing. What I find is more like a melted mass of mushrooms. If that description fits. Unlike the picture above and in the links provided (thank you), mine is always white in color. Perhaps if I didn't remove it as quickly as possible, it would turn the yellow or brownish color that was discusses. Since mine is white in color and thick it just looks like a deformed mass of mushrooms. Anyway, if anyone can clarify whether mine is the same as dog vomit fungus/slime mold, I would like to know.
Thanks.

Prescott, AZ

Mine tends to be bright yellow, but quickly morphs to the dog vomit look. Get a picture next time it shows up!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.