Recognize this big red zinnia?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hello all,
I know there are some zinnia enthusiasts on this forum. I came across this spectacular Red Zinnia with no label at a local botanical garden. Anyone have any ideas what variety might give me these results?

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This year I grew some that looked just like yours. They were the strain called "Cut and Come Again". They came in a pkg. of mixed colors. I didn't see any pkgs. of single color seeds, just mixed colors. I got them from HD's seed rack.
If you want that particular red one in the photos, maybe go back and sneak a spent bloom and save it for seeds...or better yet, ask one of the on-site gardeners to give you one.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks JasperDale. Maybe I'll pass by again and see if there is a hidden sign or someone knowledgeable. I'm guessing maybe Benery's Giant Deep Red or Parks Big Red.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I agree, it looks like a Benary Giant (or other giant such as Parks, Jonny's, etc.) I suspect some of the non Benary giants are Benaries off patent.

They are beautiful, like dahlias!

I like the deep red/yellow combo.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I thought even a little like an English Rose like Prospero. Anyway, I haven't bought zinnia seed in years but because of this one, I went a little overboard.

Here are a few other views of that border

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Northwestern, NJ

Loretta,
I just had to post a reply to say that your garden is just beautiful! If mine were even half as gorgeous, I'd be thrilled!
Alison

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I hate to correct you but that was not my garden. I wish!!! The pictures were taken at Frelinghuysen Arboretum in Morristown, NJ.

Northwestern, NJ

Oh, I've been to the Frelinghuysen Arboretum but never saw those gardens! I'll have to take another trip over there this summer. Looks like I can get some great ideas there.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Of course I would have loved to take credit for that border! That border is next to the old gift shop. They change it up every year but it is always nice.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Loretta - BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing those photo's of the NJ garden. Love the color combos. I think you are on the right track with the red zinnia. Here is one I have hybridized myself.

Thumbnail by brendak654
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Brenda's looks quite close, and look how huge it is. You might also ask Zen_Man, he also hybridizes them, he hangs out in the Hybridizers forum.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, Brenda! That is Gorgeous!!! Is that from this year?
Pistil, I do try to follow the zinnia threads. They are some of my favorites!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Loretta - Yes, that is a this year bloom (planted via seed 4/27). I love growing zinnia, they have became one of my favorites. Is that ageratum (the purple), in your photo's from the garden. It seems really tall for ageratum. I find that interesting, especially for its height.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Brenda, I didn't look at the tag for that ageratum but try looking at Blue Horizon. I have seen that one at another garden and it was tall, full and beautiful. I suspect there are multiple plants to give it that bushy look. A neighbor of mine use to have tall blue ageratum self sowing all over her property so they do exist.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks Loretta. I have never seen the tall blue ageratum for sale - in all the years all I see is the short (but a couple of different shades of blue). However, like your said about your neighbor - I myself have the native growing out in the fields. Best I give it a try in a flower bed with the red/yellow/white like your photo above. I think that might be an ad-a-boy for me.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Your welcome! I had bought Chocolate Eupatorium for a friend a few years ago. The next year, he brought me some of the green babies and now Eupatorium rugosum is a permanent resident in my yard. However, the blue one is hard to keep around here. I tried Blue Horizon which I have found for sale plant and seed over the years but I never got the good results.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I see this Chocolate Eupatorium may also be referred to as snake root. I remember seeing that a few years back in a botanical garden in Wisconsin - see photo below. I can't believe I remembered that plant from the botanical garden. See what you think? Same thing?

Thumbnail by brendak654
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks the same but generally taller by seed. Maybe I should clip it early on. I like it but the problem is it goes to seed while it is still in flower and the many seedlings can be hard to pull out.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Interesting. I think this is a native plant in this area.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here too but the chocolate variety has dark leaves. Some of the seedlings have a blush to them but they are mostly green.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

So the chocolate one would be the one to have. Sounds really pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.