November 2014 DST ends & the Holiday Season begins!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

No posts on Oct. 31? We were all busy with the freeze warnings for last night? A pic of the 2nd harvest from my pole lima beans. Time to move over to this new November thread, enjoy the harvest, and give thanks! Welcome. : )

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I have a few more picks of the lima bean harvest. BTW, my hubby loves the lima beans and they've already been consumed.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

All garden items are harvested. 24º last night, so put an end to growing here.
I have nice supply of sweet potatoes, carrots, onions & cabbage ready for our winter markets. First one is next Saturday.
Planning next year, even have some new seeds on hand. Some I order early as they do run out.
Thinking about what will go where, but nothing down on paper yet.
Here's a couple pictures of our last day of summer market on October 30.
For a customer appreciation, I had Bat Wing Pumpkins, Jack-be-little pumpkins & gourds free, take up to 15. A lot went!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Awesome CG! I wish that I could have been there on Thursday. I bought sweet potatoes yesterday and yours look much nicer. : )

No frost damage after inspecting tomatoes, squash, eggplants, peppers, etc... this morning. Here's some pics this morning of my late bloomers. The witch hazel was a pleasant surprise!

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's the citronella that's doing well next to a plant that came up from the flower seed mixture that was sown in June. ID anyone?

A few more pics of the witch hazel. I first noticed the blooms yesterday. The hydrangea and witch hazel both were delivered thru the mail a few years back from Moonshine Nursery located in Milan, IL. My favorite mail order Nurseries are Gurney, Missouri Wildflowers, & Moonshine. My favorite local nurseries are Cottage Gardens (Piasa, IL), The Garden Kingdom (Glen Carbon, IL), and Sugarloaf Landscape Nursery (Edwardsville, IL).

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Sugarloaf Landscape Nursery is selling Christmas trees with balled roots wrapped in burlap for planting after Christmas. Here's a pic of the white pine that I brought home in my station wagon from Sugarloaf almost 20 years ago. I need to rack needles today as the white pine just shred them this week. I use them to mulch my rose bed and other beds for the winter. Here's pine straw from a prior year.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The picture after the citronella is mother of thousands. Succulent annual here.

Love the pic of Chloe!! Always having fun. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the ID Pepper. That's what I thought this plant was, but don't remember planting it in this flower bed. I'll pot it and bring it indoors today. Yes, Chloe loves her doggy JoJo & he loves her too!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hey ju, that was quite a hole you dug in the Oct. thread. I am still sending you a Mother-In-Law's-Tongue if it ever grows some. I started those cuttings almost a year ago and they're still green but they haven't shown any sign of growing. I have since learned that they won't be true with the yellow edge if they grow by cutting. They will be the regular green Snakeplant.

I went out this morning already to try to break up two stray cats that were fighting outside by our front porch. This stray black cat jumped on the big cat here that has adopted our house. The other stray cat was all black and it appeared to be the victor even though the orphan cat is bigger. But, it appears that whatever cat "jumpsuckers" (for lack of a better term) has the advantage. We call the orphan cat Bernie (sorry CG, just a coincidence..lol). Everything is fine though, Bernie ran into the garage thru the hole I made and I already let him in the house, (he has eaten and he is currently underneath my friend's bed).

Nice vegetables there CG. I think I'm moving to MN. and becoming a vegetarian! -
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8608536

The potted Witchhazel here is still in the Fall color mode. It could be the differences in our sources for the different stages, green. - pic #1 The ones in the ground here I believe are bare already. If I remember right, that spiky flowering stage of them is in Jan. here.

Our cat Grubworm has sure been getting in some crazy places, here she is in one of my dirt buckets. - pic #2

Yeah, what a good run by the Royals. They talk about how Madison Bumgarner pretty much did us in with the pitching. There is a bunch of Madison Bumgarner jokes around town! lol
They're funny, one is a photoshopped wedding picture of him and that announcer Joe Buck. Apparently Joe Buck was his biggest fan during the last game. They say Joe Buck was really up his butt.
One of the photoshopped photos has Joe Buck in a wedding dress on Bumgarner's lap!
Here is a story on Bum. - http://www.wnyc.org/story/is-it-too-early-to-call-madison-bumgarner-a-legend/ . Here is a photo, that's Bum on the bottom and Buck on the top of the pic..lol - pic #3
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all. We are pretty cold here today. This morning it was only 23 degrees. Have a hard glistening frost on my car. Did not scrape I shouldve, I know. Bad girl. But had a long week end of working. Been pretty busy around the house with halloween and all. We did not get even one trick or treater here. Way to cold and rainy. Poor kids hope they had fun inside.

Those are good Will. lol

I cleaned up my irises and a few other plants today. Cut back some of my roses though I avoided the main cane on my climber. Last time I did a major hack on a climber I killed it. lol

Thanks pepper. Here's another one that I found. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

gl, I love your avatar!

Will, my first witch hazel was "Hamamelis vernalis" and bloomed early Spring; a native to the Ozark Mtn. areas of Missouri and Arkansas. I started with one from Missouri Wildflower Nursery & it lived a few years and died during a hot dry summer spell. The native witch hazel "Hamamelis virginiana" pictured came from Moonshine Nursery & has been much hardier. What variety do you have? Is it Chinese or Japanese or a hybrid? I believe H.mollis (Chinese) and H.japonica (Japanese); including the hybrids bloom in January. Mo. Botanical Garden has a beautiful witch hazel garden containing all of the above.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks gb. We carved pumpking with the family. Had so much fun.
Yes I have been very busy in the yard too. Cleaning up and cutting down. Now we have to rake more. Prolly fill up some more bags of leaves I am sure. Ugh fall is so busy. Have to put plastic on the windows still. Today I am going to watch my DGD. So excited to see her. She has been so sick with a cold. Poor sweetie. Have a great day all.

Yeah, cool punkins there, GL.

Mine also is the straight Ozark Witch-Hazel (Hamamelis vernalis).
I know because I got them from the Missouri state nursery and that's the only one they sell. -
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/ozark-witch-hazel

It's 3/4s the way down if you want to scroll. -
http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all

Here's some scary pumpkins'! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

More scary pumpkins!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, some of the crazy pics you're sharing makes me feel like I'm on fb; not DG. lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

greenbrain. Remember this site was built long before FB. Lots of good information here over the years, (13 years). None of the junk you get on FB. Most of that don't even make sense & no explanation of what the heck it or who is in a picture. Why share a nothing with the world.

Lots of work went into those pumpkins. Very nice.

Ack green! That's a post meant to get me censored or thrown off here.
I've seen some of the other (even more specialized) forums where they curse and say sexual things, I think they're the ones that need policing.
Somebody is trying to find bad material on me. I'm good at spotting facade friendships and I've known all along that you don't like me. I have an odd sense of humor but you'll never find anything bad, even on my public Facebook page. - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1607097268
ALL the recent pics here are on my fb page.
The scary pumpkins were okay 2 years ago when I posted them, scroll down to Oct. 26th, 2012. -
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282936/
If you haven't already, if you want to do a background check that's my real full name on my fb page, even my middle name. I admit my credit isn't much good..lol Hurry though, I'm making it private in a couple of days.

Thanks CG, that's just an incredible amount of work and imagination in that pumpkin art.

Here's a trellis that I'm making for I think a Honeysuckle vine to go up on the west side of the shed. - pic #1
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

LOL I Survived Halloween 2014!!! Hey whats wrong w/ fb!?!? I post what I eat and when it comes out! Pics included of course! hahaha Im kidding. If I need gardening info I come here, FB is mostly a "Real Life Drama Series" and keeping up with whats going on with our Rabbit Breed.

I got leaves coming out my keester..wish itd stop raining :(

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

AND!!!! Will, If your talking about my peony post..well that was just funny hahah

Huh? A Peony post? I don't know nothing about no Peony post! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

So sensitive. Geez! And it's the men belly aching. ROFL!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Wow! I just made a little joke & I've ruffled some feathers. I'm sorry if I offended my fellow DGers. I don't recall saying anything about pumpkins???? I love pumpkins and fb. "I love DG, facebook, pumpkins, and Chevrolet!" Oh, and all my gardening buddies! I just don't care for baseball; unless the Cards are winning. : )

Well, it's that time of the year when I can't do much outside in the evening before the sunsets. With the many repairs needed around the house, this is a good time to tackle some of them. Again, I'm inspired by Nicole Curtis. You're right Will. Rehab Addict airs on HGTV & DIY. More opportunities to catch the show.

I still have many houseplants on the sun porch; including Cactuar, the prickly pears, and spider plant all from my FAVORITE garden buddy Will who keeps this thread interesting & worth visiting daily! (Even if he is getting lazy about starting the new monthly thread.) I'm working on finding a place for them indoors because I know that the cold will do them in soon.

Are we ok now guys? Here's a pic of my favorite bird whose feathers are a bit ruffled right now too. Those darn SF Giants. LOL

By the way, my fav fb repost right now is the Huffington Post 10/27/14 article "Don't Fart During An MRI." I laughed so hard that I had tears streaming down my face and my tummy hurt.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Using refurbished laptop compliments of DH. It's quite a bit newer than my older one that the dog broke. They both really did me a favor. The dog breaking the old one & DH fixing up a newer one.

I moved the files onto my desktop, so I need to sort pics & files & cleanup before I decide what I want to move onto my new laptop. This should keep me pretty busy for a while.

Very hectic at work & getting home later, so it's already dark & haven't been able to check my garden for a few days. I may have to pick by flashlight.

Got to do so online research for a plumbing repair finding replacement parts. Saw a gorgeous full moon on the way home from work. If the clouds haven't rolled in, I may get enough light from the moon to see in the garden. Nite all and hope you're enjoying this first week of November.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Very windy this morning so maybe all our leaves will blow into the neighbor's yard. Most likely though it will be the other way around. That's ok because I use them for mulch. Have a great Thursday all & stay warm. Going to the nursing home after work. Family member going on hospice and having a meeting with staff, so probably won't be able to check garden again!

I've been busy getting ready for next week's snow. It won't be much but not having a scraper makes a difference. lol. Gotta get one tomorrow then change my washer fluid over to one that works better than the stuff the dealer put in.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I know what you mean Pepper. I still need to bring all my house plants in off the sun porch. That will be a priority this weekend. We have 2 snow shovels ready by the door. Just need to stocked up on salt. I believe that our washer fluid has been changed over. Still so much more to do. Gutters need cleaned out because they're filled with pine needles.

I need to make a check list. Think I'll do that right now. Got my Gurney catalog in the mail today & I couldn't wait to look at all the colorful pics. OG mag the other day & I couldn't wait to read it. Got to see the garden today in daylight and some plants are still hanging in there, but have a little burn on the leaf tips. I imagine the next few days will finish off the survivors.

Where did everybody go? Oh Pepper, your post about the iris bed reminds me that some of mine are still in a cardboard box filled with soil sitting in the backyard. Is it too late to set them out?

They will be fine in there. You could set them out, won't hurt them but they should be fine as they are. I've had some in a milk crate with no soil for years and they kept growing anyways. lol.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Im around! just thinking about everything that needs to be done this weekend =/

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's a good fb share from 20 minutes ago. I've received 9 updates from this fb page since yesterday & I love it. Takes me back here. : )
"Very few trees are as showy as the dogwood in the fall."
Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/5206/#ixzz3ITyMOVFU

Here's another good one. Though Will has shared this advice with us before, it's a good reminder & since it's good to find your garden tools in top shape when Spring arrives.

"The garden is put to bed for the coming winter. Now it's time to give your garden tools a little TLC before you store them away."
Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/5210/#ixzz3IO9A6V6c

I know what you mean batcat, the holiday season is closing in on us & the frigid temps. Try not to work too hard. I've still got to bring in that "Mother of Thousands" plant. It's one of Nicole's favs & she'd be delighted to have it growing on her window sill. A professor of biology gave her one when she was away at college that grew in her dorm room. I don't remember what became of it.

The weather center is predicting an "artic blast" or "polar vortex" to hit the Midwest this week & I'm glad that I'm off work Tuesday for the Veteran's Day holiday since it's suppose to move in Tuesday evening. That gives me an extra day to prepare. Got to get busy now! Take care all & keep warm.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

All the houseplants are indoors now and the Mother of Thousands dug up & potted. Mission accomplished.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Not the holiday business here atm, we lost 1 rabbit due to a suicide and 3 more due to pneumonia this week for culling. Sometimes its 1 step forward and 3 steps back, i swear. Weve been doing injections everynight but with another week of crazy temps im not very hopeful atm. Just kind of a sucky week here. Waiting to see if 5 out of 6 pull through

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Oh no! BC, I'm so sorry. : (

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow not much going on here lately. We have been busy getting ready for winter. I bought some burlap wrap and really want to wrap especially my hydrangeas. Last winter was so awful for them. I hardly had any flowers on them. Zero flowers on my oakleaf but it sure did grow over the summer. I almost thought I was going to loose it. Poor thing. I finally did get all my hosta and assorted plants all cut down and the leaves are mulched and kinda spread around them all. Dreading tne winter. I will not e able to go to see my DGD to much. They are an hour away. Not to bad but when the weather is bad it might as well be three hoirs away.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Its ok betty, just nature I guess. We will see what happens. Babies due Wed. They looked better last night. Got the leaves done in the front yesterday and All my dip mixes done up for an order. Catching up sorta lol. My oldest was playing with tomatoe cages last night and one of the stakes got him in the eye, looks ugly today. So off to the dr we go.

GL- cut the hydrangeas down to 12-18", makes a huge diff

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

oh for the love of grass....!?!?!?

Betty you know any lawyers in IL I can talk to about a family issue???

Crap never ends!!!

Busy getting ready for all the holidays here. lol. Had a hockey game last night, and today a family deal. Gonna be busy until Christmas!!

I hope you all are ready for the cold. I've got everything I need now all ready to go.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

bc, I don't really know any in your area. Prayers are about the best I can do for you right now. Take care.

I know Pepper. You are in retail and I can't imagine how hectic things must be for you right now. Same answer for you goes as for bc. I'm lifting all my DG family up in prayer. My hubby needs it too. This last cancer therapy is really wearing him down.

Off to work for what I know will be an extremely hectic day! At least, I'll be off tomorrow though it means the same amount of work has to be done; less the 8 hours I'm loosing tomorrow. Thus, today's challenge.

It's time to prepare for the worst and hope for the best with the winter weather on it's way. On a positive note, my pastor came to church with matching shoes yesterday. He's learning to walk again on his new prosthetic leg! He's very excited. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Gl, I'm hoping your Michigan weather isn't very harsh so that you'll get to still visit the grandbaby.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.