November Birthday card swap

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday!!!

The DG birthday card club is a way to ensure a special day.

We welcome new members to the birthday thread. Our delightful obligation is to send a card to each birthday club member when his/her birthday occurs.

It's best to receive a pile of cards on or before your birthday so we do our best to send each card in a timely manner. This makes the card more meaningful to the recipient and to the sender. We don't have to send expensive or elaborate cards. We can make one or pick up one at nearly any store these days, or buy a whole box of cards at once and be prepared for the whole year!

It's a wonderful experience to receive cards in the mail.

Current Birthday Club Members:

rose318 / Patti -- March 18
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
Katgroves / Kathy -- October 25
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28

Thumbnail by taters55
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
LK, thanks for starting the new thread!
Glad I planned not to go anywhere yesterday... it rained and poured! We do need the water so, except for it being Halloween, the rain was a good thing. It smells nice and fresh out there now. Amazingly, though, I checked my planters to see how wet their soil got, and discovered that although the top quarter to half inch got well-soaked, underneath that still feels quite dry. I think we're going to need a lot more rain to get my planters' soil thoroughly moistened again, or I'll need to do some watering by hand before I plant anything.
Hope you all enjoy your weekend!
Michelle

Glad to hear you got some rain.

Hi, all.

It's Election Day! Got up bright and early so we could get to the polls before my husband went to work. Just had a nice nap to make up for the early morning.
Well, we're back to sunny weather. Even so, it definitely feels like fall, especially in the evenings and mornings. It gets much colder overnight.
Hope you all have a great day tomorrow! Better go get my furry buddy his dinner. Now that we're back to standard time, he thinks all the clocks are wrong! It's now 5:05 pm, so he thinks dinner is an hour late... Poor puppy! He's looking forward to when we all fix the clocks again!
Michelle

I hear ya on the time change. It messes up our dogs too.
It has been raining here, so what is left of the gardens, is getting watered.

Hi, all.
Well, this morning started out on the cold side, but by late morning, it had warmed up. We were suppose to have unseasonably warm weather today (high 70s, and for some farther inland, perhaps even 80). Not sure what the high was for today, but it sure was nice out this afternoon. I know we need the rain, but I sure do like sun and warm :) They say tomorrow is suppose to be cooler and windier. Oh well, back to guessing what to wear!
Hope everyone has a lovely Thursday!
Michelle

Sounds like fall weather is coming for all of us! Some are getting frost already!

Hi, all.
Yes, fall is coming indeed. Makes me start thinking of planting daffodils, paperwhites, and the like. I really need to do some thinning and check to see how my bulbs are. But I also keep eying the emails from EasyToGrow bulbs. Sure tempting to get something new. But I need to get my planters back in order first. I'll just have to see how things go.
Have a great Friday!
Michelle

Morning everyone!
Still cool and raining here. Getting things packed to visit my Dad in Michigan for a few days. I fly out tomorrow, and will be back on the 13th! I will pop in when I can.

Hi, all.
I went out to take a look at my planters today. I was excited to discover that my paperwhites have sprouted! Guess I won't thin them this year :) Hoping to have some flowers to enjoy. Guess we got enough rain last week to get them growing. I'll have to check them to see when they need more watering.
LK, I hope you have a good visit with your dad. I'll pray that you have safe travels.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle

Glad to hear you have plants about to bloom.

Hi, all.
It will be a little while before the paperwhites bloom as they just recently started growing. However, I remembered that my rosebush had a couple of buds on it not too long ago. So, I went to check to find out if they were blooming yet. And, to my delight, they are! And, they smell absolutely wonderful!
Have a blessed day!
Michelle

Glad to hear you have roses blooming.

Hi, all.
Rained last night. Made everything smell fresh again. Will have to go out and admire the roses again tomorrow. Figured I'd give the grass a chance to dry a bit, first :)
I just read an interesting book about two crews that were shipwrecked on the Aukland Islands around 1865. One of the crews had no loss of life, whereas only 3 out of 25 survived from the other ship. They shipwrecked about 20 miles from each other, so didn't know until later that the others were there. At that time, it was common for shipwrecked crews not to make it off these islands alive. The book describes what happened to both of these crews. It was quite interesting to hear how the crew of 5 managed to to all survive and to essentially rescue themselves. They even built themselves a forge so they could make their small boat more seaworthy! Of course, there were sad parts to the story, too, but it is fascinating to hear about the things people can accomplish when they work together. And it was interesting to read about how the experiences of these crews helped save the lives of others to follow.
Well, tomorrow is Friday again! Been a busy but productive week. Hope you all have a lovely day and a terrific weekend!
Michelle

Sounds like an interesting book!

Have a great week end everyone!

Are you all having family for Thanksgiving?

It will be just Todd and I this year. I think he is going to deep fry our turkey again, they are so good!

Hi, all.
LK, did you have a good visit with your dad? Thought I'd get by to post earlier this week, but didn't quite make it.
Finished reading a book for today's book club late last night. Got started on it later than intended as I was finishing another book between the shipwrecked book and the book club book. Must say, however, I have had fun reading some good books :)
I've heard of deep fried turkey, but haven't had the opportunity to try it. Perhaps some day I'll get to try it :)
We got more rain last evening and today. But I've been hearing about areas of the country that have gotten LOTS of snow. Any of you living in those areas? If so, stay safe and warm!
Have a great Friday!
Michelle

I had a great visit with my Dad, and it was so hard to leave him there.

It has been cold here with a few morning of frost on the cars, but it has been slowly warming up.

Sounds like you like to read a lot? My Mom read a lot, but it is something I never picked up.

Hi, all.
LK, I'm so glad to hear you had a good visit! :) I'd love to get back to visit my parents in Pennsylvania, but I don't know when we'll make it back there. I'm glad you were able to spent time with your dad.
No frost here yet. It's been getting cold enough to have condensation on the car windows in the morning, but no frost yet.
I do like reading. But I tend to read several books in a row, and then get busy with other things for a while and not get any reading done, and then eventually get back to reading again. One of my favorite times to read is while folding laundry. Listening to an audio book is a great way to make folding laundry more interesting!
Well, I should close for now.
Have a great weekend!
Michelle

Hi, all.
Looks like we're all busy with Thanksgiving coming. Wanted to stop by now in case I don't get a chance later in the next few days.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! And remember to take a moment in the midst of all the busyness to be thankful for so many blessings!
Michelle

Thanks Michelle! I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving too!!

Hi, all.
I hope this post finds you all well. And I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!
My husband and I spent some time with family in and around Angels Camp, a small town in California's Gold Country. We had a wonderful time visiting with one another and doing some site seeing. A couple of highlights include visiting Moaning Caverns (deep enough for the Statue of Liberty to stand with a few inches above her) and we rode a stagecoach in Columbia State Historic Park. My guide dog says he really liked going to Columbia. There were lots of other dogs there with their people, and he thought the stagecoach ride was awesome! We also toured the roundhouse at Railtown 1897 Historic Park in Jamestown. We hope to visit here again some time when the steam train is running.
My husband says he will help me start a new Birthday Club thread for December Monday evening. In the meantime, have a wonderful Monday!
Michelle

Hey Michelle, it was just hubby and I for dinner, we missed having the kids here, but we also enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Sounds like i was a nice day for y ou with family and a tour of the town!

Hard to believe it is December. already.

Hi, all.
Come join us in the December Birthday card swap thread and enjoy a slice of cake:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1382148/
Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.