Question about Dame's Rocket

Natick, MA

I was looking at seeds and noticed Dames Rocket, which I've never heard of before, and thought was pretty. The seed co. states they do not ship to certain states, and Mass. was one.
Is this an invasive plant here?

Thomaston, CT

Is Dame's Rocket a type of phlox? I know there is wild phlox in many open spaces here in the spring, but I would call it lovely, not invasive......

Natick, MA

It looks rather like a phlox from the photos I saw (not too many)

Thomaston, CT

I would plant them.....

Natick, MA

Will have to find someone with seeds to share...they wont ship them to me in MA :)
Would like to find someone who grows them in their garden & hear their experience(s) w/them.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Check the MA invasive list first... It's very possibly listed there.

Some people call it spring phlox, Latin name Hesperis matronalis. It grows wild in fields, roadsides, etc. Once you have it, you have it forever. First year plants are easy to pull up, later the roots are very stubborn.

Natick, MA

Since posting , I did find it is invasive in Mass.
I think I'll stick with other beautiful options :-)

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I'm surprised it's invasive in Mass. I dug some up from a roadside in Akron Ohio and planted them in Maine (our summer place) over 15 years ago. We were delighted to find a few new clumps here and there over the years, but they are far, far from invasive.

Natick, MA

Really!? I think they look lovely...Think I'd be happy to have a garden full of them :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.