Storing bulbs for Winter?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I bring my cold sensitive bulbs indoors and store them on a dark shelf in my cool basement. The trouble is low moisture and past year my bulbs dried out and died. Do I need to store them in a ziploc bag with dry sawdust or potting soil, should bag be sealed shut or left open? Do bulbs need to be wet?
When I remove from the ground should I rinse under water then let air dry?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

What kind of bulbs are you storing? I find some are much more sensitive to drying out than others (Dahlias are the most challenging for me).

I wouldn't recommend a ziplock bag, as that can trap too much moisture in, and allow for rot- I've had issues with rot even with bulbs stored in open, plastic grocery bags. It's not a good idea to store any dormant bulb wet, as that also invites rot.

For storing tender bulbs I grow in pots, I have good results from storing the pot and all in a dry cool place.

With Dahlias, most sources recommend washing soil from them, allowing them to dry, and storing them in some sort of medium (peat, wood shavings, etc.). Some even recommend wrapping tubers in cling wrap to conserve moisture. I've experienced failures at all those methods, and lately have had better luck storing them with soil clinging to them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.