Food Cycler

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

A friend just moved to a very cold climate where outdoor composting will be impossible for much of the year. Also, her highly restricted neighborhood prohibits bins or other outdoor solutions. She has been sneaking her food waste directly into the garden beds but it is too cold to dig now. She asked if I knew anything about the Food Cycler which I had never heard of. Has anyone tried this pricey device?
https://nofoodwaste.com/index.php

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

AGH lost my post!

Watch the video. It chops and bakes the food, does not compost, of course.
I think it's impractical and fussy, but I guess there are many consumers who like things like that, LOL.

You could chop and dry your food by hand and oven. Ultimately, it has to rehydrate in the garden to ever decompose. So what's the point?

Bokashi is a smaller system than a compost bin, can be a five gallon bucket and is great for food waste, and can even be kept inside, I think.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hmmm, not sure I would want bokashi in the house but i have never tried it personally.

For me, with a favorable climate and plenty of room, of course that gadget would be impractical. However, just drying and compacting the waste until spring might be a help with storage.

I'd like to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.