Belated Birthday Bounty for ViburnumValley

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

'Leaf' it up to VV to try and sneak a brithday past us.. and succeed! Ever so clever, and a year wiser, we can't "leaf" such a a valued visitor out of our birthday wishing....
Happy Birthday !!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Happy Happy, Hope you had a great day.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Adding birthday wishes to those already sent. Sorry we're late.

Thumbnail by ecnalg
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday! Judging from the photos of your recent tour of the East Coast, you had a good one.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy belated birthday, VV!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Don't leaf me out in adding my birthday greetings!!! Happy Birthday, VV!!!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Wow! Thank you all so much.

And how much better could it be than to be in the Mid-Atlantic Gardening group's very own backyard!

Friday (my birthday) we first toured the Rutgers Gardens, where American Holly pretty much rules the day. I also enjoyed revisiting a place that formed fond memories in 1987 (when purchasing two dozen 12' Ilex opaca 'Jersey Princess' from Dr. Elwin Orton's research plots) and again in 1995 (when on a UK Hort Club tour as a retread landscape architecture student). Incredible history dating back to 1916, and in flux up to today. Biggest Abies firma I've ever seen.

We then trekked up the highway to a private residence in Mendham NJ, where there were many interesting plants including a huge Halesia tetraptera and tiny Acorus gramineus 'Minimus Aureus'. And I see there are no PlantFiles images of that one...

Final stop (and longest of the day) was up in Nutley, NJ. Here, a couple has acquired a number of adjacent properties in an older neighborhood, and turned them into one complex eco-garden system. The proprietors and designer have collaborated to create quite an interesting array of vignettes, vistas, voyages, and views. Throw in a few Viburnum et - voilà!

Then, despite traffic consisting of roughly the entire population of KY, we had a fabulous unobstructed view of the NY skyline - albeit over MetLife Stadium and all the other NJ shoreline infrastructure. A pretty easy cruise back to New Brunswick, all things considered.

**Ilex opaca 'Freeman'

**Abies firma Wow™

**Acorus gramineus 'Minimus Aureus'

**Carpinus betulus cubed hedges with variegated Cornus controversa overhead

**Skylinus macromalus '1 World Trade Center'

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy belated birthday VV. What a great way to celebrate. Love the pics.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday VV. Glad you had an enjoyable time int the NY/NJ environs. If we don't communicate in the interim, "have a holly, jolly Christmas" too.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy bbday VV.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :

We then trekked up the highway to a private residence in Mendham NJ, where there were many interesting plants including a huge Halesia tetraptera and tiny Acorus gramineus 'Minimus Aureus'. And I see there are no PlantFiles images of that one...

I trust you're going to change that by posting yours, VV.

While googling to find out whether it's native to the U.S. (no), I saw that Santa Rosa has it for sale - normally 5.99 marked down to 2.99.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

What a way to have a birthday! Get a plant tour arranged to coincide. Thanks for sharing.

Pic #4 could be made into a poster for next year's conference and a funny caption contest...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL---
Two of the worlds largest Popsicles! ...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, 1 World Trade Center looks so pretty :)

Happy Birthday VV!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.