Pot to ground?

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I have a peony, whose name I can't find, that has been in the same pot for 5 or 6 years. This is the first year it didn't bloom. I now have a planting hole in actual ground all ready for it. My peonies have always disappeared to the ground each winter, but it is too early for that yet. Is now a good time to transplant? What do I need to know about putting peonies in the ground?

Thanks.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I moved peonies from my old house to my new house in pots. It's very effective because your peony has all its roots intact. The biggest problem with digging up peonies is severing the roots. You don't need to do that, and how great is that? Just dig yourself a suitable hole. Remember, you are moving an entire plant. It won't really "know" that it has been moved. Make sure your hole is deep enough so that it will be at the same depth it was in the pot. It's nice to toss in some compost and maybe some supertriple phosphate into the bottom of the hole. Loosen the soil at the bottom of the hole and put them amendments in, mix it with the soil you took out and pop that puppy in.

It will probably reward you with really great blooms next spring because it will have a fresh source of nutrients and soil.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Yay!!! Thank you, I will go make the hole deeper, and locate the phosphate around here.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your peony will be very grateful!

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, if it cares to show it's appreciation next year, we'll be square!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.