White fuzzy invasion on Blood Orange Tree Leaves

Chino Hills, CA

Please help me identify this and also suggestions for organic treatment. I'm in Southern California and have a mature Blood Orange Tree. Currently it is abundant with green fruit. Many of the leaves are infected with large areas with white fuzzy stuff. I looked as close as I could without getting on a ladder and some of the white areas looked like they also had ants. A few that were cut off I did look at closer and could not see any insects. It is not mildew that I know. It is too thick and almost looks like it would be sticky but I did not touch it. I've never had a problem with the tree so I don't know where to start. I looked on-line and it looked similar to Cottony Cushion Scale but I really have no idea. Help!

Thumbnail by LulasGarden Thumbnail by LulasGarden Thumbnail by LulasGarden Thumbnail by LulasGarden Thumbnail by LulasGarden
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/A/I-HO-AFLO-PU.003.html

Not sure if this is it.
Can you isolate one of the blobs? Get a close up?
Are the blobs covered with removable 'stuff'? Maybe try to clear some of it off with a toothpick or similar.

Chino Hills, CA

Thank you for replying. I threw out the cut off leaves and the rest it so high I need a ladder or helpful friend.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Mealy bugs love citrus! You can alternate between Insectecidal soap and Neem oil (or any light oil) sprays, but the ants will keep bringing them back. I'm using Taro liquid ant bait in a saucer, with an overturned pot on top to keep the good critters out, to keep the ant population down.
Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.