Queations on bird feeders

Pittsburgh, PA

Hi, I recently started to place peanuts outside my apartment window, and the peanuts are gone about every other days. I suspect they are eaten by Blue Jays, because I saw and heard Blue Jays in my area. But I have never seen these birds eating my peanuts on site. I'm wondering how do we see them eating from the feeders?

Thanks,
Cui

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They'll come in, grab a quick beakful, and fly off to hide them away for a rainy day.

Resin

Pittsburgh, PA

Sorry, I'm actually asking for advices about how to watch birds in my situation. They just grab the food and go. How is it possible to see them?

Sorry about the confusion,
Cui

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

The peanuts are too easy to carry off. Try some black oil sunflower seed, &/or suet when it gets colder. If that gets carried off, try tiny Nyjer seed.

Pittsburgh, PA

I was waiting beside the window all day yesterday, and I saw it ;)

Thanks,
Cui

Thumbnail by cuihenggang
Pittsburgh, PA

That Blue Jay never comes back again since last week. Will they migrate? I hope it didn't die...

Thanks,
Cui

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Maybe it's just found a better supply of food - maybe a large oak which has just ripened a big acorn crop.

Resin

(Zone 5a)

cuihenggang, Looks like the Jay was peoplewatching. :)

Some do migrate, but some also stay, at least in our area. These rings do slow down the Jays, if you can find one. The Jays have to work to get their nuts. The woodpeckers use this as well.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.