Restaurant Tree ID

East Bridgewater, MA

This was in Sturbridge, MA. The bark looked different and the leaves were shimmery (most of them already off the tree). Are these IPod pics good enough for an ID?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

My guess is Amelanchier...maybe the ubiquitous 'Autumn Brilliance'.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Pseudo:

You da person.

The second image of trunks is about as positive an ID as you can get with this genus. Remember that bark characteristic, neef, and you will go far.

Now, getting down to the clonal selection might be stretching it a bit, but hey - what else you got to do in Wisconsin this time of year...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
Now, getting down to the clonal selection might be stretching it a bit, but hey - what else you got to do in Wisconsin this time of year...

You're absolutely right about clonal stretching, even though 'Autumn Brilliance' seems like the only Amelanchier offered by 90% of retail nurseries. I do see alnifolia every now and again, but I rarely see anything but AB for tree-type serviceberry's. By the way, you are completely wrong about a paucity of things to do up here. This is a great time of year! Wonderful weather and beautiful scenery makes October in Wisconsin a heavenly experience. You should check it out sometime.

East Bridgewater, MA

I thought I found all the ubiquitous trees, but I've never seen this before. Does it have a common name? Just Serviceberry maybe?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

AKA Shadblow, June Berry, and my favorite, Snowy Mespilus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.