Is this iris?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought these for 12 cents at the episcopal church bazaar in Pattison TX and the nice lady described then as lilies. Since I overheard her describe sansevieria as cactus, I decided to take the plants out of their pots and examine. She mentioned they had white flowers and that they had been growing in the rectory gardens for at least 50 years. I'm thinking they might be cemetery iris.

What say ye? Recognize? I am going to keep them potted separately into I solve the mystery with your kind help

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner
Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Strangest iris roots I ever saw. Plant them and see what you get. luciee

I don't know if they are irises, just wanting comments from experienced growers. Like I said, this little lady called them lilies and I know they are not lilies. I think I will post this in plant ID and see if somebody recognizes

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Looks like either Siberian iris, or maybe Spuria iris. But ,for sure an iris, and a beard-less variety

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I grow a lot of Siberian irises and a few species. I think it may be a Spuria or a Louisiana.

I hope it's a spuria, would like to be able to grow successfully. I will update accordingly. As I think about it, LA or spuria seem logical for this old south tx community.

Definitely not a Bearded iris. May be the other kinds mentioned above. I am not familiar with those since I can't grow them in WY.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Are these up yet?

I've got foliage but no flowers. I'm beginning to think they look like African iris, going by foliage. I will report here. I lost 2 of 3 clumps I got but they were like a 25 cent investment, so no big loss. Not a LA iris either.

My cemetery Iris that I got in a trade last year are done blooming, and they were fine. They are planted among white starflower Albert Castillo and they looked wonderful. I kept forgetting to take pics and now opportunity is gone. Oh well, maybe next year.

Sandyville, WV(Zone 6b)

they look a bit like siberian iris to me. I planted small siberian pieces (like you have) last year and expect it to take few years (?) for flowers. I got foliage this year but that's it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The Louisiana irises that I have (just a couple) do have knobby tubers, not just roots... so I'm thinking sib or spuria. Wondering if it could also indeed be a lily, just not an oriental or asiatic one... I just dug some to split with a friend, passalong plants that are like a well-behaved red version of ditch lily.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.