need help locating a particular variety

Las Vegas, NV

I have fallen in love with this dahlia where can I find seeds to grow my own.Specifically in this wine red and white color and and specifically with this length of petals.

Thumbnail by Greengrll
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I doubt it's possible to find the seeds for that dahlia.

You'll need the name. You can look it up, by name, and see the dahlia suppliers that carry it here:

http://dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

Las Vegas, NV

Thanks, I have been searching for awhile now, I was just hoping one of these more well versed members might have been able to help me identify it :)

Most of us rely on buying tubers to get what we want, not seeds.

Perhaps it's a version of Tartan, which I currently have growing. It changes colors a bit, going from the white with deep wine red, to almost totally dark wine with a few splashes of white petals.

That's just my guess, not being a "well versed member" but having grown dahlias for more than 20 years.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Las Vegas, NV

Thank you and I was saying more well versed than myself, nothing towards your knowledge of the subject :)

Mentor, OH

I can't tell by the photo if the petals are white tipped. Arlene's Tartan would have been my first guess. There is a similar one on Plant Files named Contraste. I also saw it on Accent's web site.

Mentor, OH

If that is Contraste, Amazon sells 50 seeds for $6.99. There are many variations of Contraste. I assume it is because of the different soil types it's planted in. But I think that's true of any dahlia. I've seen differences in my blooms from just the front yard to the back.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

This picture is all over, but all I get is "enigmatic flower" in the file name. I want to guess it could also be AC Spot too. You can find tubers at Linda's Dahlias.

Here is a shot of one of mine with Sharkey on the left:

Thumbnail by todgor
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Oh Hi Todgor. Have I been missing your posts or are you just now turning up. I still have some plants from tubers you sent several years ago. Was worried about you.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi Mary,

I've been kind of busy lately with 450 or so dahlia plants to take care of! Its hard trying to get enough time with work and all. Trying now to collate and scale down some pictures so I can post them in some way. Definitely the best dahlia season for me so far. Hoping I have enough time to dig them all!

Oh I cannot imagine. I only had 71 to dig and divide. No way I could handle 350 or 250 or 150?? Like Dan and you.

Glad you are hale and hearty.

Mary

Having dahlias that number in the 40's, you are superhuman, Tod! I can't even comprehend having that many.

The thought, after you're done digging #1, that you "only" have 449 to go would absolutely overwhelm me.

And can you imagine the huge mess after dividing them?? You would need a warehouse.

Only one?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.