High Tunnel sale

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

I have applied to get a grant for a high tunnel but I won't find out until March if I get it. There is a 10% sale on high tunnels through Poly-Tec now through October 20. Has anyone ever gotten one from them? I'm wondering if they will have another sale later in the year yet. Can anyone give me guidance? I am really tempted to get a loan at my credit union and start paying it down now, although if I don't get the grant, I will be paying for a long time. Decisions, decisions....
Ruth

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Did you mean "Poly-Tex" ?
I have some of their greenhouses. The kind that are set up in the spring at shopping centers.
They are of high quality & easy to put together. I use them as high tunnels.
Any greenhouse frame will work.
Personally, I would not buy a new one. I have 6 houses right now & 1 that got destroyed from heavy some years ago. I bought them all used. Highest price was $1800 for a 24 x 60. But that came with fans, controls, benches & all sorts of stuff.
The last one I bought on an online auction for $600 in fall of 2013. It is 22 x 24. I grew lettuce in it this past summer.
Keep your eyes & ears open, used greenhouses show up in the darn-est places.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the reply. I don't know the first thing about greenhouses or high tunnels. I just heard about the grant thing and went for it. We had a really bad hail storm the end of July and my 30 cabbages and 20 tomato plants were ruined. The peppers came back but didn't amount to much. I would like to extend the growing season and not have to worry about hail and frost. I'm sure my first year will be trial and error with lots of errors. Do you add calcium to your soil when you water? I add calcium in the form of egg shells, pills, and epsom salts for magnesium.
I would like to get the soil tested as DH says we need to put nitrogen on the garden. I thought the chicken manure would take care of that, but maybe not.
I'm looking forward to having one but won't find out until March if I get the grant or not. Do you look in the want ads for greenhouses? Craigslist?
Thanks
Ruth

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Anywhere. Online auctions, too.

Muscle Shoals, AL

i got mine at a estate auction in 2008.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

I ended up getting it at Farm-tex. Finally got it totally done this last weekend. Now comes the learning experience. Do you till it up every year or leave the mulch down? I have a vision of raised beds and mulch, but my hubbies vision is a tiller. Always a tiller. ;)
I have the ends and sides open and I think it will stay that way until fall. Gets pretty hot here in the afternoon. No access to electricity (yet)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.