Acer Sengokaku, Coralbark Maple

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Does anyone around here have experience with this tree? I had one in a warmer zone, loved it in all its stages year round. Some places list it as hardy to Zone 6, some say zone 5. I wonder how it does in this area, I'd hate to get one and kill it :-(

Riverhead, NY

Wow great find. I'm tree shopping here in zone 7a and delighted to have stumbled across your query. As I haven't seen the Acer Sengokaku in any of our local nurseries or neighbors' yards, I too wonder about NE planting (and where to get one!). Sure looks like a winner.

I was in Southampton when I had it before, and it was very happy. I planted t in the mid 80's, and it was still there when I went by a couple of years ago.

Riverhead, NY

I'm just a tad bit north of there. It would be a nice addition to this landscape and would likely do well here too. Monrovia is currently "out of stock" but I'll continue to look.

Actually, Riverhead is warmer than Southampton. Do you ever get there? Lynch's is a terrific source for special plants. I used to order all sorts of things there, they are very knowledgable.

Riverhead, NY

Thanks for the tip about Lynch's. I tend to stay a little more local as there are some fine places around. The Peconic Herb Farm is a favorite. However, when it comes to the harder to find cultivars, ordering through a store tends to be the way to do and not everyone is open to that. Incidentally, I've passed on your Coral Bark Maple idea to a few folk around here... so this thread you've started might well make a some folk and yards happy this way.

How cool... If you go to Lynch's, ask for Pam. She's worked there since she was just a kid, and is extremely knowledgable. If they don't have it now- and they may- she'll know where to get it in the spring.

Thomaston, CT

I think the Bill (Wha) has a coralbark in his yard....he's in Pepperell, Ma near the NH border......

I thought he might...is there another thread I could find him on?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sorry for being tardy - i have two of sango kaku's

here is the larger one in the backyard from the other day.

they are supposedly zone challenged here although I have not had a problem.

Thumbnail by wha

Thanks! That's all I need for a go ahead. Is yours in a particularly protected spot? I'm thinking eastern exposure, with some light from the south and west. I think it would show up well there. Not sure about northeast winds, though.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

one is exposed and the other protected - go for it.

Ok! Looks like another tough winter coming up, I'm thinking spring planting, but ASAP. Maybe I should get 2? Lol, the more the better, right?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

I always plant jm's in the spring - have not had luck with fall planting except for larger trees.

That's good to know. I would have thought fall was better, it usually is. Just as well I can't get to it now! Also, it gives me time to suss out a good source.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

they are usually found everywhere jm's are sold - one of mine came from HD

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.