Need help...I would like to grow various oak/maple seedlings

Island Lake, IL(Zone 5b)

more...

Thumbnail by reefgeek Thumbnail by reefgeek Thumbnail by reefgeek Thumbnail by reefgeek Thumbnail by reefgeek
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from reefgeek :
Pictures. I tried to divide...

Some of those acorns already look too dry to be germinable - they need to be kept moist. Hickory nuts too, but they're not quite so sensitive as acorns.

Resin

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your input, Resin. Your expertise is appreciated. Sure hope they are not too dry. Many of the hickory outer shells were still slightly green when gathered. They were picked off the damp woods floor, kept outside in open wicker baskets and mailed within a few days. In fact, the day before they were mailed I had to bring them in out of the rain. However, some will automatically be lost to worms. Apparently jostling the nuts makes them exit and there was some of that going on (on the dining room table no less).

Reefgeek, I'm not sure which nuts might be shellbark because the trees are growing in a very mixed wood and not in stands. Maybe others can help with identities. I took some tree/leaf photos but have not had time to upload.

Island Lake, IL(Zone 5b)

Resin, Thank you, crossing fingers...

May, I did get one positive id...

concentric rings around the acorn tip that is unique feature to Q. Coccinea.

Thumbnail by reefgeek

I believe the first photo is scarlet oak. The second is an unknown hickory. Don't know the third or fourth. The last is the cottage and view out over the pond. As the leaves thin, we're beginning to glimpse neighboring mountains. Last weekend was quite colorful. Fall seems to be coming progressively later.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Third could well be Chestnut Oak (Quercus montana); fourth is some sort of maple.

Island Lake, IL(Zone 5b)

The acorns that were already starting to sprout...I have a few people thinking that is a Swamp Chestnut Oak/Chestnut Oak.

Island Lake, IL(Zone 5b)

May, thank you for the pictures. Just beautiful!!! So jealous

In this post above:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9972968&extraimg=2

The fourth image of acorns belongs to Chestnut Oak, which is a likely candidate to be an associate of the aforementioned cohorts in this plant community - and Swamp Chestnut Oak is not.

Since MaypopLaurel is williing to scrounge around for information, the bark of the tree that goes with those leaves would go a long way toward nabbing their identities - as would dormant buds, twigs, etc.

I will continue to add information as weather conditions and travel allow. It's great to have an opportunity to learn more about what's growing at Maypop and Atlanta. Because trees are intermingled it's near impossible to isolate what comes from which specimens. Next up will be twigs, bark and dormant buds. I ran across an old book at Maypop called Important trees Of Eastern Forests. It might help.

I was wondering about calling someone from the local extension service or University of Georgia to help with identifying trees this coming spring. Several years ago, I was contacted regarding threatened orchid research and their folks came out for the day. We have a number of terrestrial species.

There are other trees and shrubs that bloom and seed earlier in the season. Sassafras, sweet shrub and a color array of Rhododendron calendulaceum (flame azaleas). There are a few Asimina triloba (paw paws) and Kalmia latifolia. Vaccinium corymbosum (huckleberry) is scattered about the property but especially on the bank above the kitchen garden. I have planted cultivars of rabbiteye blueberries, the only type that grows well in the South, on a lower step.

VV, feeling almost famous with my user name in bold!

That list of known plants just shouts acid realm soils, and generally drier rather than wetter.

I stick with my Chestnut Oak estimation.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

You are a gift VV...Merry Christmas to us.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

If you can find a large Oak or maple and look at its Base you should find many seeds(Acorns)etc, and sometimes small trees from them. I assume you are looking for a lot of plants to grow on. I have a Japanese Maple that throws around at least 100 seedlings per year. The maples do the same thing. If you are willing ask all who read this message to send you their seedlings. Be prepared for many years of growth before they are mature enough to plant out however.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

How are these trees doing?

Blast from the past. I sent the seeds. Never heard from the receiver again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.