What is happening to quercus nuttallii

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Young tree about 16 ft tall. For the first time this year, one side seemed bald, while other side seemed fine. It's supposed to be late deciduous so dropping foliage in ict in Houston metro area is too soon. Besides, it displayed thai half bare pattern thru summer

Thumbnail by vossner
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Can you show images from other directions? And show the whole context of where this plant is growing? I have some suggestions, but being able to see more of what is being asked about will make a lot of difference.

If it has been "half bare" all summer, that means those branches are likely dead. A scrape of the bark on any branch like that will yield the answer. Brown under the bark is dead wood; green means maybe you have some life left there.

Here you go. Trunk look healthy, bare looking-twiggy limbs have baby foliage coming out, overall look of tree

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Vossner? Which of those sides of the tree faces north.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Red oak varieties dont do well in Houston, nor do red maples... just sayin

Thanks fir your input. In our ft bend co prop we have lots of red oaks but I can't say whether or not they do better than whites, etc. The bald section faces north. But now the tree has lost most of its foliage so hard to continue this discussion.

I did have another tree years ago that had a bald side but over the years it "corrected" itself and has a normal canopy. Always wondered if the root system on the bald side was weaker but eventually caught up.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ft Bend Co- have to ck that area, and waitin on VV to check his troubleshooting manuals...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.