What Variety is This?

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

This hydrangea tree is in someones yard on my street. I have yearned over it for 14 years. It never freezes out and always blooms heavily. It never receives any care. I want to find out what it is so I can get one of my own.

Thumbnail by slvrwilo Thumbnail by slvrwilo
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's a paniculata of some type but it's rough to give a name since there are so many out there.

This is Tardiva in September.

Second photo is from a distance and was taken in mid-August.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

The blossoms are very full not lacy.

Thumbnail by slvrwilo Thumbnail by slvrwilo

Blooms

Thumbnail by slvrwilo
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Ask your neighbor if you can remove one flower head and keep some of the leaves on the stem, bring it to your best nursery and hope they can help you.

The photos are just not clear enough for me to help you. Maybe someone else can identify it.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hydrangea paniculata varieties can grow very tall so they are popular in tree form. Over in the Northeast, I have seen lots of tree specimens like the one in your picture and even taller. The most popular one 15 years ago is called PeeGee (aka Grandiflora):

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/images/peegee_tree.jpg

Newer paniculata varieties are also sold in tree form nowadays too: Limelight (known for its green blooms), Phantom (known for its large cluster at the end of of branches, the blooms start ivory then turn white and then pinkish), Pink Diamond (a sport of PeeGee that does not get as tall; supposed to have stronger stems to prevent flopping), Quick Fire (an early -if not earliest- blooming paniculata), Tardiva (probably the latest paniculata to flower), Unique, etc.

Please review the link above as it describes paniculatas in more detail and shows pictures of PG as well as the other paniculata varieties. Compare that with the shrub in your neighborhood.

Of course, if you really want the same one, ask your neighbor for several cuttings so you are guaranteed to have the one that you want. Of course, you then have to pick a central leader, etc. etc. etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.