Do Cactus get Fungus?

North Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

This Cactus, "Echinopsis Oxygona", Common name: Easter Lily Cactus, Doesn't qualify as an Orchid
Cactus, but the flowers are similar, don't you think? It also only blooms only for one night/ early AM.

I've only gotten 5 flowers so far this season, (more little buds), one flower at a time, except for the first
bloom. I got two.

I rescued from a very sick friend's back yard who had been in the hospital for 2 months. In the super HOT
summers here in the desert of Las Vegas, it was frying!!
I had no idea what it was, just knew it was very mature and I had to save it!!

Boy, was I surprised when it bloomed!! It flowers on a super long 6 in stalk, which grows VERY fast when
it gets a terminal bud developed. You better be ready with your camera and something to prop it up with.
The first one broke. Such a HUGE flower on a long skinny stalk, it's no wonder. I've got another one coming right now. About an inch long, and about 5 small buds. I wonder how long into the winter here in the desert it will keep blooming.

Anyway, my problem. I've been growing Tomatoes, Bell Peppers and Basil in containers this season. I roll them under the patio cover during the hottest part of our sometimes 110 degree days.
I don't know how in this hot and very DRY climate, but my Tomatoes and Bell Peppers got a fungus called
Anthracnose, mostly on the leaves. They don't have the big ugly lesions on the fruit like I've seen in the photos FlapDoodle over at Insects and Spider Identification showed me. The peppers are eatable, the
Scary Leaf Footed Plant Bugs got my Tomatoes!!!

Much to my dismay, I believe my beloved Easter Lily Cactus has one spot of this dreaded disease!!
Can any body identify this spot and suggest a cure that's safe for Cactus? Organic Copper has been
recommended to spray on my Bell Peppers, but I don't know if copper would damage my Cactus or not.
I don't care if it's organic or not, I'm not going to eat it...lol.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

WEEEEEEELLLLLL!!!! I'm having problems uploading the proper photos. I've got some Digital Microscope photos, but I've got to go back and change the format. The pics I took with my phone are
"undefined", whatever that is.
So, for now I'll just let you enjoy some other pics. I'll be back shortly with the correct pics--I Hope!!!

PLEASE CHECK BACK!! OK??,
Thanks, Diane
Thanks, Diane

Thumbnail by bluemerle Thumbnail by bluemerle Thumbnail by bluemerle Thumbnail by bluemerle Thumbnail by bluemerle

Here's some more pics using my Digital USB Microscope. Re: Post# 9955583
About possible Anthracnose infection on my Cactus.

The last two pics in my previous post are Anthracnose wounds on my Tomato & Pepper
leaves. Look a lot alike, don't they?

Thumbnail by bluemerle Thumbnail by bluemerle Thumbnail by bluemerle Thumbnail by bluemerle Thumbnail by bluemerle
Mountain View, HI

Hi bluemerie,

That is an amazing bloom, beautiful.

I'm not an expert on Fungus but I do grow orchid cactus.

Yes they do get fungus and bacteria. The Orchid cactus leaves go soft and mushy as the Fungus/Bacteria travels up the branch. Really ugly. My neighbor, a PhD and orchid grower rescued me last year but recommending a fungal/bacteria spray. You should be able to get one from the local nursery supply store. My neighbor gave me my supply so I'm not sure of the name.

Not sure if this helps. I'm not being too specific. Maybe someone with more scientific knowledge will respond.

All I know is the Bacteria spread quite quickly but was curable.

Hello Microb,

How's lovely Hawaii? My in-laws are leaving for there next week again. This will be their
5th trip and they always send us such beautiful photos. What a paradise you live in.
Especially compared to this desert I live in...lol.

Anyway, thanks so much for replying, I appreciate that.

It turns out that it's Scale insects my Cactus has. Not that it's a good thing, but I'm relieved
it's not a fungus or bacteria. Insects are a lot easier, I think, to control than diseases.

Thank you so much and I'm glad you liked the bloom. You must get some gorgeous flowers
growing Orchid Cactus, especially in your wonderful climate.
I'd love to see some photos of your collection.

Mountain View, HI

Hi Bluemerle

We have an approaching hurricane this weekend so hopefully in-laws visit will not be disrupted too much by the aftermath. Still a few days before we know what its impact will be.

To see my blooms you can look at the thread I started in this forum earlier in the year. You will see Microb against the thread title.

Dallas, TX

blue merle - since someone has id'd that your plant has scale, did they tell you how to get rid of it? Use alcohol. Some say 70% but that part I'm not sure about. Anyway, you can dip a q-tip in the alcohol and rub it on the scale. Also, depending on how much and how deep the scale is, you might be able to scrape it off with something like your fingernail. Oh, wait. You said it was a cactus. Guess you wouldn't want to use your fingernail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.