FALL FOLIAGE AND BERRIES END OF SEASON PICS!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1374072/

I guess flowers are on the outs although, please post stragglers here!

I'm looking to see your fall foliage and any berries you might have ripening. Berries are a huge interest of mine that has been developing over the last year. Many of the new shrubs I've been putting in are berry producers.

I don't have any fall foliage yet but here are some of our berries:

Viburnum nudum 'Brandywine'
Viburnum dilatatum 'Michael Dodge'
Viburnum nudum 'Winterthur'
Viburnum dilatatum 'Erie'
Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima'

All these plants are first or second year so they are small yet but when they mature, it will be gorgeous around here.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thx for the new thread. Very pretty berries! I know -someone- will be pleased with all those Viburnums

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

More berries:

Pyracantha 'Mohave' close up
Viburnum dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy'
Pyracantha 'Mohave' hedge row in all its splendor
Cotoneaster 'Franchetii'
Ilex verticillata 'Winter Red'

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha....yeah well he's been an influence one those and the winterberries.

Last couple for now:

Knock out rose hips
Ilex verticillata 'Red Sprite'
Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai'
Cotoneaster apiculatus

I still have a few Nellie Stevens hollies that are ripening but not enough to be picture worthy.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What a beautiful assortment of berries. And loved the two flowers you posted just before creating the new thread. Our callicarpas are full of berries too. Very impressive hedge row. Really regret that we lost half of ours last winter.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Ec! I hope both those flowers make the winter as they are hard to zone 6. I think I'm going to put some pine needles over their crowns. What hedge row did you lose last winter?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

We had several mature pyracantha along the front of a 24-foot deck, some with red berries and some with orange. They were taller than the deck rail and made an excellent place for the birds to hang out when we had food out for them. Two or three of the stems just split, with a line down the length. Hope your new plants overwinter well.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh so it was heavy wet snow that did them in? Sorry to hear that :-( Mine got clobbered as well but I guess they were limber enough to just lay on the ground. Once on the ground, it gave the rabbits ample opportunity to eat them but they've bounced back nicely.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't think it was the weight of the snow. It seemed more like the cold made the inside of the branches and stems expand and split. The line of the scar on the bark ran the length of the stem. They never drooped. Glad the rabbits didn't do major damage to yours. They sure do look wonderful now.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe it was a hard freeze/thaw cycle? I've never seen that before.

Thanks for the compliment. They were all planted 3/2/13. Unfortunately, that ugly silver maple on the other side of the fence sucks water from them and also prevents some rain fall from hitting the ground and the result is half of them grow a little and half grow a lot. The ones on the other end are 6' tall at least and very dense. Did you ever have to treat yours with fungicide? Mine got scab this year and I treated them twice, halting the spread but I've read that one should spray them starting during spring bud break and then every 7-10 days until the flowers are spent. What are your thoughts on that?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Answering for Pat (ecnalg), we have never had any fungal problems with our Pyracantha, thus never felt the need to use any fungicide. I'm pretty sure our winter loss was due to freezing and thaw cycles. Had very cold temperatures, then a warm spell followed by unseasonally cold weather. Lost a number of plants to that last bitter cold spell. Had a flat of Cornus canadensis (Bunchberry) I had started from seed a year before. It stayed green through the deep cold of last winter, but when we had that warm spell followed by unusually bitter cold late in the season the entire flat turned brown and died. Very sad. :-(

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh man, that is such a bummer! We had a couple back to back hard freezes in the middle of April but luckily I didn't lose anything. I covered some things and they were fine. My Gingko lost about half of its buds though as they emerge earlier than the majority of trees. It came back nice though and had its best growth year yet!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Some lily of the valley. And some winter holly..I forget what variety. The male is southern gentleman.

Thumbnail by Jan23 Thumbnail by Jan23
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Very pretty berries! That Ilex verticillata 'Red Sprite' in particular is just gorgeous.

Jan, my LOV never look that good this time of the year. I think they're black and withered away by July.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I didn't know LOV got berries! They just went up a notch in my book :)

LOV berries are poisonous, and a major plot point in Breaking Bad. ;)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Interesting. I'm getting 5 doll's eye plants from a native nursery next week. I guess those are poisonous too. I tried eating a winterberry berry once and it made my stomach upset. It was pretty tasty though :)

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Lovely berries, seq.

The rose hips are very interesting. I am very heavy-handed when it comes to pruning and deadheading. My spent rose flowers never live long enough to grow into rose hips :o). Must remember to keep my hands off next year.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I never deadhead my knockouts so I get a few occasionally. The rose hips are fairly pretty though, thanks.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The LOV berries are the biggest this year I have ever seen. Some years there aren't any.

I went out to take pics of the viburnum setigerum berries this morning and I noticed they are almost all gone. The other day I saw bright red berries...the most I've seen, but today, just a few. The birds must be enjoying them.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I guess you had a bunch of hungry birds :) I bet they were pretty though.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I read that birds love rose hips. I have a few roses left, so I'll leave them on and see if the birds bite.

I've never seen berries on my LOV either. I got some at the swap that might produce berries though. The ones I've had until now are planted in a bad place in dry shade. They flower, but don't spread and die back sometime during the summer. I planted the swap LOVs in a much better location.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes, yes - someone does (and always) appreciates voluminous voluptuous Viburnums...

After one of the wettest late summers around, it is certainly Berry-licious around the Valley.

1. Ilex verticillata 'Afterglow'

2. Viburnum nudum Brandywine™

3. Ilex verticillata 'Winter Red'

4. Cornus drummondii Lemon Drops™ and species

5. Euonymus atropurpureus

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow VV, those pics are beautiful! I love the yellow berries on the Cornus. Where'd you get something like that?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

All beautiful...the Lemon Drop yellow berries are extra special...and the Euonymus shows what I'm still awaiting from the one I got from postmandug

I *really* need to get myself a Ilex verticillata.

VV's 'Winter Red' and Seq's 'Red Sprite' are my favorite.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

If you get one, make sure you have a male companion :)

I took my parents to Tyler Arboretum when they came to visit and there was a HUGE patch of Winter Red there. It must have been 30' wide and 12' tall. It was gorgeous.

Oh shoot, I forgot about the male plants! :/

I have a pretty small yard, and I already need to get pollinators for two of my viburnums.

Hmm... How far apart can you separate the male and female trees? Can they be separated by a fence or be on opposite sides of a house?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah a fence or opposite sides of the house are fine. Here is a chart you might find helpful:

http://www.skh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Winterberry-pollination.pdf

My local nursery puts out this chart and VV can confirm whether it's accurate or not but I've found it quite helpful.

Thanks for the chart!

Here's one that might be a bit more complete, and from the work of the gentleman who selected and named 'Winter Red'.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I just saw this continuation of the thread...late as usual...

The only berries I think I have are on my one Nandina. haven't looked...

Jeff--I have a HUGE hip on my Proud Land red rose. I don't know if
I should remove it now-- or let it dry out. I bet it has a lot of seeds in there...
Wonder what kind of Rose would grow out of these if I planted some???

I also have one Knockout Rose. I will leave all the dead blooms on it
and let them grow hips--if they will.

I guess I need to take a couple pictures tomorrow. Been too busy this week
to think about pictures...

As children--in our years in Germany--we used to eat the rose hips we found
as they are really high in Vit. C. Not the hairy seeds..just the "fleshy" parts.

Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Interesting...I guess that would explain why my vitamin C has rose hips in it. I always wondered what the heck rose hips were and now I found out this week :)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from ssgardener :
Oh shoot, I forgot about the male plants! :/

ssg, I bought Ilex 'Red Sprite' and 'Apollo' at Meadows Farms last year and found out that the pot sold as 'Apollo' actually had 'Red Sprite' in it as well. I'll take a photo of my 2 females and 1 "male" Ilex tomorrow; they're all full of berries! If you go to Meadows Farms (or wherever) this fall, you'll be able to see whether there are both fruiting and non-fruiting plants in it.

Thanks for that chart, VV! I'll look up this thread when going to check out the end-of-year clearances.

Muddy, I remember seeing your picture earlier in the year. Did you find out whether they were planted together on purpose?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--
Just took a wet walk outside. My Nandina has no berries on it. Gone!
I think they were there--but either fell off or the birds ate them. I see the nubs...

--Here is my fat Rose Hip on my "Proud Land" hybrid rose.
It is over 1" in diameter. I'd love to pick it--but not sure it is fully ripe.
I could wait until it splits open--and then hurry and pick it.
I want to save the seeds....

--And--odd as it is for this time of year--my Endless Summer Hydrangea
is blooming. It is also VERY full of fresh, green foliage. Huge!
I believe all this weird blooming time on the freshly re-grown, frost-killed stems
is b/c the plant is in the "mode" of spring...
Thee stems look fresh and tender--just like it was spring. SO--they are blooming.

What to do now? Cut them back? Save the trouble of frost damage?
IF this winter is going to be the "killer" the last one was--all these will
be frost killed anyway. Might as well save the trouble...and MULCH!

What are any of you going to do to help plants your tender plants survive?

Gita

Here's some Rose Hips use....cooking with...BIG link--I hope it comes through..

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blrosehips.htm?utm_term=what%20is%20rose%20hips&utm_content=p1-main-2-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=adid-6f35b3df-6bfc-44d9-b1b6-030bfc27f99f-0-ab_gse_ocode-12552&ad=semD&an=google_s&am=exact&q=what%20is%20rose%20hips&dqi=what%2520is%2520rose%2520hips&o=12552&l=sem&qsrc=999&askid=6f35b3df-6bfc-44d9-b1b6-030bfc27f99f-0-ab_gse

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

I don't know that you are supposed to tell a woman that you really like her big hips, but...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL!!! Nice hips G!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Heeeee--hawwww...

You better watch it, Jeff! I may have to smack you ...

:o)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from ssgardener :

Muddy, I remember seeing your picture earlier in the year. Did you find out whether they were planted together on purpose?

First, I made a mistake in saying I have 'Red Sprite' shrubs: my females are 'Sparkleberry', as I remembered today when I was looking at them at Meadows Farms.

I don't think they were planted together intentionally because none of the 4 Ilex 'Apollo' shrubs they had for sale had berries. There was, however, a 'Winter Berry' and a 'Sparkleberry' that probably had male plants in the same pot because there were trunks with non-fruiting branches.

This is definitely the time of year for you to look for a pot with male and female shrubs because they're full of berries (or not). Or, buy one of each and plant them with the trunks as close to each other as possible. That's what I did when I ended up with a practically free Myrica pennsylvanica (Northern Bayberry) seedling. I hadn't planned to add to my existing group of 3 shrubs, but wanted to maximize berry production potential so I planted the seedling inches from one of the other shrubs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.