Starting up with polymer clay

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Recently, I took part in a fairy swap. I ordered all my swap stuff from Etsy this go around.

However . . .

My fellow swap participants have been showing various items that they have made from polymer clay. And, of course, I want to do that, too! So, I've been watching a few youtube videos, went yesterday and picked up a variety pack of colored Sculpey clay, and a brick of Translucent Sculpey clay. Today I found a jar of Sculpey glaze. I know there are other alternatives out there for glaze, but for the first go-round, I'll go Sculpey. Anyway . . . I couldn't find any mica powder today, unless I wanted to go the 12-pack for $25 at Michaels. Which, I didn't. I'm eyeballing Ebay for that . . . I don't mind going sample sizes to start!

I am going to start simple, with buttons. I love buttons, and if I can make a mouse shaped (think Mickey) button about 1 to 1.5 inches - so much the better!

For those of you who have made buttons . . . are they sturdy? I mean, will they hold up as well as the ones you can get already made? I will find out after I make some of my own, but I'd still like to hear about your experiences.

Looking forward to getting started on this new hobby!

Thumbnail by Syrumani
This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!