Winter Rest Period

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

One of the areas of cactus culture that has always given me problems is when to begin withholding water for the winter rest period. Cacti will let you know when to resume watering in the spring but nothing in their behavior indicates the proper time to stop watering them in the fall. It's always hard for me to stop the watering routine, especially when they're green and growing strongly. What do some of you experienced cactus growers use for a guideline or is it just intuition? Several of my Echinocereus failed to bloom this year and I suspect that was because of an insufficient rest period. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I have the good fortune of not having to rest my cactus plants during the winter. They get water more or less the same frequency year round (much of it winter rain). The Echinocereus from here (E. maritimus) will bloom quite freely even after prolonged drought, which is a different kind of rest period, I guess. I see on at least one page about it to "keep absolutely dry in winter" which is sort of humorous to me because the plant receives most of its water during winter in habitat.

I know that doesn't answer your question, and presumably that species is an outlier. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in. I just thought I'd share a different perspective on how to grow these plants.

Decatur, GA

I rest my plants in the winter because of the decrease in light. The days are shorter, duh, but also since I have to bring them inside because of the temperature they get considerably less light in the house.
Most of my plants are in a semi-hydorponic growing environment so even if it advised to not water a plant during the resting period I do anyway. It is usually only once a month. The s/h medium reduces the risk of the plant rotting so I figure some water helps the plant maintain better roots during the rest and winter watering seems to get them off to a better start when they go out in the spring.
If your plants are in a more traditional medium, like 'soil', the risk of rot is too high to water much during the winter rest.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

My cacti and succulents are outside here in Phoenix. I do not water them (unless it rains and we don't get much rain) from November until March. Now and then a plant looks like it needs water and I will give it just a small amount. Some people say that no water can kill the little feeder roots, but I find that, if I water much, I tend to rot cactus and succulents and that is worse for me.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks to all who replied. I will probably stop watering come November except for a bunch of 2-yearold seedlings, which I will continue to keep watered and growing through the winter in my small greenhouse.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2014 12:47 PM

Menasha, WI

I have to bring all my plants in for he winter. I have shelving in my east, south, and west windows. I try to fit all of them onto the every available inch I have. It's a challenge every fall to find space. I do love my plants.

Thumbnail by cactusloverlady Thumbnail by cactusloverlady Thumbnail by cactusloverlady Thumbnail by cactusloverlady Thumbnail by cactusloverlady
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I admire your dedication. I suppose that's the only way to keep so many succulents going through the Wisconsin winter. :)

Decatur, GA

You have some interesting plants cactusladylover. My collection got burdensome so it is being reduced through attrition and some gifting.

Menasha, WI

helenchild, I wouldn't know where to start to downsize. I have been more brave discarding bug sick plants over the years. I used to try and save every sick plant. Not anymore. Maybe that's how I'll thin out the bunch. cll

Menasha, WI

Thanks Baja, I wish I could live where all my plants could stay outdoors year round. Cll

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.