This Daylily Has A Name (I just don't know it)

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I need help with this Daylily ID. I'm so lucky to have this beauty in my garden, just don't know her name. Thanks for looking!

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

You have a LIly, not a daylily. It looks like a asiatic Lily. You might try posting it on the Lily forum for a ID. Daylilies are not in the same family as true Lily bulbs are. It is beautiful! Good Luck!

Yes I do have an Asiatic, that was really stupid...duh. There must be a prize for that, lol!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice flowers!!

Thanks Mike, I have new Daylillies that are really similar, I don't think I'll be making that mistake again...unless I have Alzheimer's (knock on wood). My Hemerocallis are not as nice as your picotee though.

Here is my Asiatic Lily I received as a potted plant from my DSIL on Mother's Day last year. Since it is hardy in my zone, I planted it with my Daylilies. It did great and bloomed for a long time. I love it. Bloomed all July this year.

Photos are of the same plant in my garden this year. As you can see the flowers changes as it ages, but neveer ugly. I tried to self-pollinate it last year and this year without any luck. I think it is sterile since its own pollen wouldn't pollinate it..

It grows from a bulb I believe.

Mipii, I love the red color of yours too. Striking!

This message was edited Oct 5, 2014 9:52 PM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Blomma, all from the same plant? They transition with age, they're beautiful. You don't get any seed heads on them?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

blomma, I love that pink lily! I love the red ones too Mipii.

Your ruffled beauty is pretty nice too Virginarose! Here is my newest addition...'Raspberry Pixie'.

Thumbnail by Mipii

Mipii
I tried pollinate them but no luck. After the flower fell, it looked like the beginning of tiny pods. Fooled me.

Love the color of your DL. Nice photo also.

Another photo of Lilium as it is named in Latin. Couldn't find it yesterday.

Thumbnail by

Blomma that's a great shot, does she have any fragrance? Does she have a name?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mipii! I do love the extended blooming evergreens and Raspberry Pixie is very pretty.

blomma, that is gorgeous lily, I could not find it either only 'Red Latin'.

Mipii, no I lost the name of it. Should have included it with the photo. No fragrance, just color. It had a tag in the pot. It should be somewhere in my office. I know I didn't toss it.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I heard one time a long time ago that it was no good to mix the true lilies with the daylilies..... has anyone else heard that ? I already had some mixed in one bed and I didn't move them and I haven't seen any negative results on either. But I was just curious if there was supposed to be a reason not to have them together. I had considered buying some additional lily bulbs and just wondered ............

Thanks
Genna

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, I have never heard that before. I have some mixed in my garden with no noticeable difference.
Mike

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Genna,

The only reason I know of is that they have different fertilizer needs, bulbs need more phosphorus. There are a few in my perennial bed, they look extremely good when they are blooming. The ones in the perennial bed are used as annuals since they rot over the winter and I never have to fertilize except when I am planting them. I know your soil is probably different than mine but that is just my two cents. lol. :)

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, my soil is pretty sandy, so I have never (knock on wood) lost any bulbs to rotting..... varmits maybe but not rotting! Right now I am fighting gophers tooth and nail! AND they are winning! :(

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Rot is my biggest enemy, have not seen even a squirrel in over a year. I believe large birds are eating them and the rabbits and some small pets seem to disappear. I wish I could send you a couple of these Hawks.
Check out these Turkey Vultures (very top of house) their wings are 4 feet wide and they are waiting for a cat who got hit by a car, they drug it into a ladys yard. lol.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I have several large hawks in my area as well. But they don't seem to bother the gophers - I guess because they are mainly underground. My local rabbit population is exploding as well, so they must not be eating rabbit either! LOL

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, I think they are waiting for you to come out. LOL!!
I had one encounter with a gopher once and I haven't seen it again. It was feeding on my Hosta roots on the north side of the garage, I chased it to a hole that I stomped closed, went and got a five gallon bucket of HOT water and poured it in the general area. That was the last time I have seen evidence of one. I am sure they are around. As long as they are not in my garden they can do whatever they want.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Be careful how loud you say that!!! I have mounds of dirt in trails ALLLLL over my yard!! it is annoying as it can be and my dog goes wild trying to "get" them but so far I don't think he has been successful so then I have all these holes..............

Then you have to look at EVERY one of those mounds while you are searching for fire ant mounds to treat....... because the fire ants often go to that softened dirt and build a huge home. It is ridiculous. At LEAST the gophers could eat fire ants or something productive if they are going to make all that mess! LOL

Wyoming, MN

I may be repeating myself but...cats do a grerat job at keeping vermin under control here.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Think they would help with gophers?? I am willing to get a cat for that!!

Wyoming, MN

They take care of everything except large squirrels.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I saw a squirrel two years ago crawl up my tree and ram-sack a birds nest that had eggs in it. That bird was so mad she pecked him and chased him for a few blocks and was dive bombing him the whole way. I was stunned. That squirrel had some nerve!
I also had a bluebird who chased a cat out of the yard.

I would definitely get a cat if I had anything like that in my yard. I can take care of the squirrels with some Cheyenne Pepper.

Mike, they never knocked on the door, so I assumed they were happy with the dead cat. LOL!

Speaking of squirrels, I saw one on my way home today going crazy in the street, he was flipping around in the street and he kept diving under some wet leaves. Does anyone think he might have been rabid?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, LOL! He probably drank some moonshine.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from HazelCrestMikeB :
Susan, LOL! He probably drank some moonshine.

There might be some truth to that! I read that squirrels can get drunk eating fermented berries from a crab-apple tree? Could it be?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have seen Robins get drunk from eating fermented Mountain Ash berries. It can happen.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

That must be what happened, because this squirrel was crazy out of his mind! LOL.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, there ia also that possibility that he was fascinated by you. LOL!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I was just driving by, lol, I almost hit him. The crazy thing was just rolling all over the street. I needed a good laugh though.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

You certainly got one.

If I were a squirrel, I think I'd get quite squirelly to finally enjoy some spring weather. Actually, I don't know why I don't act out more when I can comfortably work in my garden the first day of the season.

Must have been fun to see though...

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I thought I was going to enjoy some spring weather but we are getting another freeze tonight. Argh!! I am sooooo ready for spring.

That was the first squirrel I've seen in a while, too bad he was rabid. LOL. Funny though!

By the way Virginiarose, your garden photo waaay up there is really pretty. You've got a good mix in that shot.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Robin! Spring is finally here and the most beautiful thing right now is my Cherry Tree. I have some daylilies and hostas sprouting too. How about you? Any good weather? We have been in the 70's a lot but today is supposed to hit 84°. Yahooooooo!

Wow...that sure is a gorgeous sight! You're in full throttle spring mode...us, well, not so much. We had a balmy 60° yesterday while Tornado's threaten to touch down. Today is ten degrees cooler again, but its coming soon.

Hope you can enjoy your temps in the garden.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Robin! We are at 83° right now, just lovely outside, a little windy and we have a severe thunderstorm watch. Figures since it got so hot today. I heard about those tornado's, that seems crazy for states so far north? Doesn't it?

Susan

I wish Tornadoes this far north was a crazy fluke. They're quite common here, not as numerous as Tornado alley -- http://www.tornadochaser.net/tornadoalley.jpg We get our fair share.

It's nice here today but we are otherwise engaged with the honor of entertaining grandchildren I haven't turned them into gardeners yet).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.